Oddities and Humor

BillW

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 10:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
That's the one, reyn. I was surprised to see Heinlein's name on it, but then I don't respect him as an author all that much anyway.

But, a sci-fi movie done in 1950 is still caught up in the special effects of 1950. The Day the Earth Stood Still is 1951 and not much better, yet it is a classic!

http://www.readingeagle.com/blog/moviehouse/day.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:42 am
@BillW,
To me and possibly a lot of other folks, the Day the Earth Stood Still transcends its modest budget. Destination Moon was moderately entertaining, enough that I watched it to the conclusion.
Reyn

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 03:17 pm
at 11:56 on January 16, 2011, EST.

Tanning beds to be installed at Moscow's notorious Butyrskaya prison

The Associated Press

MOSCOW - A centuries-old Russian prison notorious for its primitive conditions will soon offer inmates a new perk — tanning beds.

The ITAR-Tass news agency on Sunday cited federal prisons service Viktor Dezhurov as saying the tanning beds at Moscow's Butyrskaya prison will be ready for observances of its' 240-year anniversary this year.

Dezhurov was quoted as saying the tanning beds are meant to compensate for inadequate sunlight in the cells. But inmates will have to pay and at 10 rubles (33 cents) a minute, that's a sizable fee in a country where the average monthly salary is well under $1,000.

The prison's dismal conditions attracted wide attention in 2009 after the death of Sergei Magnitsky, a young lawyer who died of pancreas disease there after inadequate medical care.

0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 03:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
To me and possibly a lot of other folks, the Day the Earth Stood Still transcends its modest budget. Destination Moon was moderately entertaining, enough that I watched it to the conclusion.

I get you're point, but they still just did not have the special effects ability. King Kong, Godzilla, The Wolfman all had their problems around great shows.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:53 pm
@BillW,
In my original post, I was pointing out that they did not need special effects for the space walk part, where I was paying close attention, because the astronauts walked on the ship wearing magnetic shoes. Actually, special effects in pre computer days was often more interesting to me. Particularly the old Sinbad type films.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 08:24 pm
It seems to me that this has to be a prank. But this is a really sophisticated trailer. AND it has an IMDb movie page, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1612774/:

It has to be one of the most surreal premise in a satire ever set on film:
Rubber (2010)

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/01/rubber_trailer_or_the_classies.html?mid=371915&rid=122590651&mboxSession=122590651
Letty

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 11:32 am
@tsarstepan,
Hilarious, tsar.

Another oddity.

http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/20110119/89d7f8_ltpDogbone011911.jpg

9,400 year old dog found.

PORTLAND, Maine — Nearly 10,000 years ago, man’s best friend provided protection and companionship — and an occasional meal.

That’s what researchers are saying after finding a bone fragment from what they are calling the earliest confirmed domesticated dog in the Americas.

University of Maine graduate student Samuel Belknap III came across the fragment while analyzing a dried-out sample of human waste unearthed in southwest Texas in the 1970s. A carbon-dating test put the age of the bone at 9,400 years, and a DNA analysis confirmed it came from a dog — not a wolf, coyote or fox, Belknap said.

Now the humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXo3NFqkaRM&feature=related

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 02:23 pm
Perty neat dog, letty.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 04:51 pm
Funnyman Seth Rogen was left stunned by a recent encounter with his moviemaking hero George Lucas - because the Star Wars director spent 20 minutes telling him the world would end in 2012.

Rogen was left speechless when Lucas and Steven Spielberg joined a movie meeting he was a part of - but the encounter has left him worried his life will be over next year.

He recalls, “George Lucas sits down and seriously proceeds to talk for around 25 minutes about how he thinks the world is gonna end in the year 2012, like, for real. He thinks it.

“He’s going on about the tectonic plates and all the time Spielberg is, like, rolling his eyes, like, ’My nerdy friend won’t shut up, I’m sorry...’

“I first thought he (Lucas) was joking... and then I totally realized he was serious and then I started thinking, ’If you’re George Lucas and you actually think the world is gonna end in a year, there’s no way you haven’t built a spaceship for yourself... So I asked him... ’Can I have a seat on it?’

“He claimed he didn’t have a spaceship, but there’s no doubt there’s a Millennium Falcon in a garage somewhere with a pilot just waiting to go... It’s gonna be him and Steven Spielberg and I’ll be blown up like the rest of us.”

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 05:38 pm

Jay Cutler Proves Naysayers Wrong By Defeating Shittiest Team Ever To Make Playoffs
onion.com
CHICAGO—Silencing once and for all the multitude of critics who said he did not have what it took to be a postseason quarterback, Bears quarterback Jay Cutler led the Bears to the NFC Championship Game last Sunday by defeating the 8-10 Seattle Seaha.....
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 05:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
“George Lucas sits down and seriously proceeds to talk for around 25 minutes about how he thinks the world is gonna end in the year 2012, like, for real. He thinks it.

Well ed--President Obama was talking about a "tinder box" last night so it's not that unreasonable.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 07:22 pm
@spendius,
Uh - Yeah, spendi. Okay.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 03:01 pm
Punky the dog is half lab, half pit bull. She was spayed at the SPCA before we took her home. She is a big baby that likes to be loved and still climbs onto my lap when I sit in the easy chair. She buries the nice bones I give her and then drags tree branches through the doggy door to chew on. This month she turned 8 years old. But, she still tears up items that are not put away. This past week, she got my jacket, mrs edgarblythe's tennis shoe and some towels and wash cloths. People used to say that she would quit it once she grew up, possibly at age two or so. Not yet she hasn't.

I once wrote the following about her

DOGGY DOOR

Now I got a dog that needs to roam
All around the yard and inside my home
I didn't argue the why and what for
I just up and installed the doggy door
She went out and peed
And ran per her need
I thought all was wonderful and well
But that door made my life a living hell
She's a fifty pound pup called a lab
And what she wants to chew on she'll just grab
Like new shoes and sox
And porch support posts
I lost two ten foot banana trees
The dog got bored and took them down with ease
She once put in the wife's sleeping face
A sopping wet azalea’s root (mud laced)
Brings in long tree tops
Insects even rocks
Tree chippers prob'ly make better pets
And are a lot less stressful on the vets
All in all I'd say the dog's absurd
But I love her so just take my word

Well, I still love her, but I wish I knew how to break her of her destructive habit.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 03:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
EB? You get my vote for the 2011 a2k Poet Laureate or at least the 2011 a2k Pet Laureate. Very Happy
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 03:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Men with dogs eh? Aren't they sentimental.

She probably subliminally recognises how pleased you are that she does these things and enjoys your pretend remonstrations. You're encouraging her. She's even mused your creative spirit. She must be chuffed about that ed. Most females would be.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 03:41 pm
@spendius,
Ya got any practical musings, boy?
Reyn

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 04:03 pm
@spendius,
http://www.gogaminggiant.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/facepalm.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 04:04 pm
@Reyn,
Razz Laughing Smile Very Happy Mr. Green
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 04:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
A few ed but they are about ladies. One's called She's a Machine.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2011 04:10 pm
@Reyn,
Great pic Reyn. How on earth did you find such a perfect one as that so quickly?