May I see your papers, citizen?

plainoldme

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 08:05 am
@engineer,
Thanks to engineer for citing vague charges like loitering. The charge of loitering . . . applied to men walking from trains to their jobs or homes or homes of relatives or applied to men in conversation with friends on streets or in stores . . . is exactly how so many Blacks were seized of the streets in the South from the end of the Civil War until the Civil Rights Movement.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 08:09 am
@georgeob1,
You need to read Slavery by Another Name by Douglas Blackmon.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 08:11 am
@Brandon9000,
Ducking the truth is a classic right wing pattern.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 08:12 am
@Brandon9000,
Specious argument.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 08:50 am
@plainoldme,
And I am sorry you havent learned to be more specific with what you write.

You quoted a "social justice minister", without saying where he was from, what church he represented, etc.
And since many countries have "ministers" like prime ministers, finance ministers, justice ministers, etc. when you said he was the "social justice minister" it was an honest assumption that he worked for a govt and was a govt official.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 09:37 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

And I am sorry you havent learned to be more specific with what you write.

You quoted a "social justice minister", without saying where he was from, what church he represented, etc.
And since many countries have "ministers" like prime ministers, finance ministers, justice ministers, etc. when you said he was the "social justice minister" it was an honest assumption that he worked for a govt and was a govt official.

Her answer to your question was a little flippant, but c'mon. 'Social Justice' minister is a commonly used term.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 09:42 am
Illegal aliens cost the country $100 billion per year.

See http://abcnews.go.com/Business/illegal-immigrants-cost-us-100-billion-year-group/story?id=10699317
ebrown p

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 10:00 am
@Advocate,
Come Advocate... do you really think you can get away with this.

The article you linked (if you actually read the whole argument) was attempting to represent both sides. They FAIR as a anti-immigrant group making the claim you are making. Then they had voices from the other side that you seem to have ignored.

You cherry picked your claim from this part of the article.

Quote:
The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), a conservative advocacy group that favors tighter immigration laws, argues that the answer is clear: illegal aliens cost U.S. taxpayers more than $100 billion each year.

Of course from the same article (which you conveniently ignore) is this quote from a pro-immigrant group (which, incidentally is not listed as a hate group by the SPLC).

Quote:

"Illegal immigrants are good for our economy," says IPC's Sefsaf. "They make our labor force and our economy bigger. Sure, you could kick them all out, but then you would have to shrink the economy."

Sefsaf also doesn't buy the traditional argument that illegal immigrants are stealing U.S. jobs: most legal residents work in middle-rung jobs and would not want to take low-paying jobs as fruit pickers or nannies.

After weighing the financial pros against the cons, she says the U.S. economy comes out slightly ahead due to the presence of illegal aliens.

What is interesting is that FAIR, the source of the argument you are trumpeting is a John Tanton group. It is listed by the SPLC as a hate group.

Quote:
The Southern Poverty Law Center lists FAIR as a hate group for reasons including its accepting of funds from the racist Pioneer Fund. Other reasons include Stein’s bigoted views, the participation of some of its officials in white supremacist groups, bigots on the board, and some of its television programming. For a brief summation of this reasoning, please go here.

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2010/05/12/the-fair-files-working-with-the-pioneer-fund/

Your argument would be much stronger if you could make it without relying on hate groups.
rabel22

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 10:10 am
@ebrown p,
You mean he cherry picks his proofs for his beliefs and arguements like you do?
electronicmail

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 10:34 am
@rabel22,
That just ain't so, he doesn't cherrypick, he's just making things up as he goes along and runs away when you prove him wrong. Hypocritical dissembler if I ever saw one:
http://able2know.org/topic/145046-5
plainoldme

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 12:23 pm
@mysteryman,
Jim Wallis is a nationally known church leader.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 01:11 pm
@electronicmail,
Quote:
he's just making things up as he goes along and runs away when you prove him wrong

I just love you ElectronicMail.

On the other thread you were making the silly argument that "Brown v. Board of Education" (a victory against segregation) contradicts "affirmative action" (which is a way to counteract segregation). And then you say I run away (as if you were making a serious argument).

I am sorry ElectronicMail... I want to jump in and ask you who was in favor of affirmative action that opposed Brown v. Board of Education, but come on! This is too ridiculous to even debate, I don't even have the energy to argue this seriously. (Although it is a shame that because I can't take you seriously enough to engage on this silly argument, I won't get to hear your opinion of Thurgood Marshall).

I do appreciate the chuckle though.
electronicmail

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 06:48 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
"Brown v. Board of Education" (a victory against segregation) contradicts "affirmative action" (which is a way to counteract segregation)

Where did you grow up? Not in the US of A. You never heard of civil rights? I've tried to educate you but nothing gets through your thick skull. Laugh away before it's too late for you.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 06:58 pm
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:

Quote:
"Brown v. Board of Education" (a victory against segregation) contradicts "affirmative action" (which is a way to counteract segregation)

Where did you grow up? Not in the US of A. You never heard of civil rights? I've tried to educate you but nothing gets through your thick skull. Laugh away before it's too late for you.
The more you post, the more ignorant you appear. Why not take a couple hours and read Brown v. Board and look into Affirmative action before making a further ass of yourself. What eBrown is telling you is that there is no point debating a subject with someone who knows NOTHING about it, while simultaneously displaying neither the ability nor a willingness to learn. The idea that you “tried to educate” someone is laughable indeed.
electronicmail

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 07:32 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I'm a constitutional lawyer, good buddy. I started a new thread, look into it.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 07:40 pm
@electronicmail,
Drunk
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 07:40 pm
@electronicmail,
Quote:
I'm a constitutional lawyer, good buddy.

Ha Ha , and I am an astronaut. What did you say you were again O'Bill?
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 07:49 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Then I will agree that the Arizona law should be reversed if you will agree that equal opportunity programs should be abolished. Both lend themselves to the possibility of abuse.
How about we just agree that abuses of power should be dealt with far more often and more harshly to discourage them. At the very least; you should have been able to recover actual costs and attorney's fees... and the official as well as every officer who's stops are later deemed unjustified should result in some form of disciplinary action.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 07:51 pm
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:

I'm a constitutional lawyer, good buddy. I started a new thread, look into it.
I'm posting from the moon (Titan.)
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 07:56 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
Ha Ha , and I am an astronaut. What did you say you were again O'Bill?
Signature Be White.

O'Bill said he's white, and he'll do the white thing, and you're an astronaut.

Yep. Krypton is calling you home. So's Mexico.