May I see your papers, citizen?

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 08:56 am
I think it's time to card all whites. They may be part of the Wall Street financial shenanigans, or know someone who is.
maporsche

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 08:58 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
They may be part of the Wall Street financial shenanigans, or know someone who is.

But you know none of that was against the law. There apparently aren't any laws for bringing down the entire American financial system.

I wish we'd have just let it crash.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 09:29 am
@Irishk,
Quote:
It does apply to all illegals.

No it doesn't Irish.

It applies to everyone who looks "illegal". The police are going to be pulling people over in cars, or stopping people on the street based on suspicion.

If the police started pulling over whites, then the law wouldn't be racist... however if white people start getting pulled over by police to have their papers checked I don't think the law will last very long.

Irishk

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 09:40 am
@ebrown p,
I know this is an emotional issue for you (it is for a lot of us), but you should really read the bill. It does apply to anyone here illegally.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 09:41 am
Arizona is home to 21 federally recognized tribes.
The state is home to over 250,000 Native Americans (2000 Census). Reservations and tribal communities comprise over a quarter of
Arizona's lands
. The majority of arizona's anglo population cannot disquinish between native american and hispanic peoples. The anglo population of arizona for the most part have extremely limited history living in arizona (including the marginally trained police officers.
ebrown p

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 09:59 am
@Irishk,
Quote:
I know this is an emotional issue for you (it is for a lot of us), but you should really read the bill. It does apply to anyone here illegally.

I have read the bill Irishk; all 17 pages of it. The bill mandates that the police stop and question people when there is a "reasonable suspicion" that they are illegal immigrants.

The issue here is "suspicion"... and I guarantee you that an undocumented Irish immigrant is not going to be suspected (or questioned for that matter).

0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 10:45 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

So, do you guys think the law will be effective at reducing the number of illegal immigrants in Arizona?

No. There are too many legal citizens that could fit the same description as an immigrant.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 10:52 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I will enjoy watching them pay through the nose in lawsuits and lost business.

AZ has a relatively low overhead for big corporations who manage tons of call centers and other jobs that bring a lot of business to the state.

The biggest issue with the laws that are getting passed is because the voting population believe that Joe Arpaio is the bees knees. We are talking a VERY large number of people in their 70-80's who forgive me for saying ...flock like sheep to the candidate they think will control what they want their state to be like. Therefore, the ideas tend to be short term in nature without much thought given to the repercussion of time effect on them. :/
mm25075

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 10:56 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

mm25075 wrote:

... I am saddened to think there are people in our government who are allowed to be so blatantly Republican conservative control freaks ...

Damn!

I think you need to organize a movement to outlaw the Republican Party and prohibit anyone who identifes themself as a conservative or a control freak from ever running for public office.

You guys need to seize Arizona from the racist anal retentives who currently run your beloved state.

BTW --- You are a citizen of AZ aren't you?

Yes. I live in the heart of the Valley where a large percentage of the voting population are. Retired Senior Citizens. ugh.

Heh However cheeky that comment is it has some truth to it. But how does one wrangle voting control from one's grand mother?
mm25075

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 10:59 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

mm25075 wrote:
AZ citizens are not all like that and will have a good time testing Joe's politics mongering as time goes on.

He seems pretty popular, though. Elected five consecutive times since 1992 and beat a recall in 2007 (group couldn't even get 200,000 names on a petition lol). He's getting up there in years, so I'm guessing he'll retire soon.

I am hearing sounds of him running for another position. He's done well with managing the prisons and jail but he does cross a line when it comes to using he police force to drive an immigration sweep. I am guessing eventually enough the citizens will see their family members getting 'carded' that they will recall it was Joe who suggested it and that next time around No vote for Joe.
mm25075

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 11:03 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

everyone would then be a potential target for proof of citizenship, problem solved, they could have state border checkpoints

Yep, which allows the "war on drugs" to continue as well because then someone with a targeted last name could then open up the suspicion that they might be carrying something illegal. Search and seizure. Let's just open up our police force to Mexican Federalies...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 11:43 am
Quote:
Do you agree with President Obama that Arizona's new immigration bill is "misguided"?

This is not a scientific poll
No 52% 125531
Yes 41% 98157
Not sure 7% 17313

Total votes: 241001

CNN

The high number of "yes" votes is alarming.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 12:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
America. Home of the free to keep your proof of citizenship on you at all times, land of the brave police who can stop whomever they wish on the pretext of checking their papers.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 12:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
Let's just issue a national ID card while we're at it, right?
Irishk

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 12:25 pm
@mm25075,
mm25075 wrote:
I am hearing sounds of him running for another position. He's done well with managing the prisons and jail but he does cross a line when it comes to using he police force to drive an immigration sweep. I am guessing eventually enough the citizens will see their family members getting 'carded' that they will recall it was Joe who suggested it and that next time around No vote for Joe.

Thanks for the info, MM. It's always good to hear from people who actually live there. If Mr. Arpaio's Wiki is accurate, he's nearing 80 or so. One would think that at some point he'd want to just retire and enjoy the fruits of his labors...but he does enjoy high favorables in the polls and that may be what keeps him going.

BTW, the last census for Maricopa County puts the median age at 33 years. A whopping 40% are in the range of 25 - 40. Only 11% or so are 65 or older, so I'm thinking he's getting broad support from more than just the geezers lol.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 12:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
By your own description, it seems the problem is less with illegal immigrants, and more with narcotics smugglers.

Perhaps we should change the ridiculous "war on drugs", because it's a war we're losing.

It's prohibition all over again.
mm25075

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 12:40 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

BTW, the last census for Maricopa County puts the median age at 33 years. A whopping 40% are in the range of 25 - 40. Only 11% or so are 65 or older, so I'm thinking he's getting broad support from more than just the geezers lol.

I would be curious to compare those with the voter turn out records. Additionally the median age could be misleading somehwat. AZ is a high transient state so a fair size of the population are new. There may be some lag time in which the newer citizens really take notice of the way the state is run, register, and then actually go out and vote. Being an at will state, employers are not required to provide time for their employees to go vote, so it can become a lot more hassle for those who are not retired.

Also, AZ has a high number of what we call snow birds. People from the upper and eastern US come to live here part of the year. State residence laws and interpretation may also impact those final proportions.
mm25075

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 12:43 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

By your own description, it seems the problem is less with illegal immigrants, and more with narcotics smugglers.

Perhaps we should change the ridiculous "war on drugs", because it's a war we're losing.

It's prohibition all over again.

Yes. I agree with you. We spend tons on this so called war when it's really just a smoke screen to take over control of every part of a person's life. Frankly I am surprised they have not prohibited alcohol yet.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 12:50 pm
@mm25075,
I lived in Phoenix for 10 years; I disagree with you're interpretation of the population of Maricopa county. Outside of a few Northwest areas (Sun City, etc) I would be it's mostly people under 50.
Irishk

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 12:51 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Let's just issue a national ID card while we're at it, right?

It's in the works.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20000758-38.html
0 Replies