May I see your papers, citizen?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 11:03 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I don't know Finn,

The belief that Republicans hate people with brown skin is already a commonly held idea. And, Republicans are doing everything possible-- from attacking Justice Sotomayor, to passing birther bills, to racist signs at lilly white tea party rallies.

The Republicans a real image problem that they created on their own. Yes, many of us are more than happy to take advantage of it-- but it really is their own doing.

Well, I do know ebrown... it is an absurd and vicious allegation.

The belief that Republicans hate people with brown skin is a "commonly held idea" among idiots. You would never (and rightly so) give credence to a "commonly held idea" that Obama is a Muslim sleeper agent, or all Social Democrats are Commies. Perhaps you count yourself among the idiots.

Only a partisan hack would interpret Republican resistance to the Sotomoyer nomination as evidence of "hating people with brown skin."

If we are going to employ this ridiculous calculus, then the Social Democrats hate people of brown and black skin and women because they objected to the nominations of Thomas Clarence, Alberto Gonazalez, and Harriet Miers. (And they must hate Italians too because they objected to Justice Alito).

Birther bills? Where and when?

It's easy to allege racisim at Tea Party gatherings, but where is your proof, and, more importantly, where is your proof that the odd racist sign at a Tea Party gatherin is any more indicative of the entire Tea Party movement that a Kill Bush sign was indicative of the entire anti-Iraqi War movement?
ebrown p

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 11:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
The belief that Republicans hate people with brown skin is a "commonly held idea" among idiots.

Whether they are idiots or not doesn't matter. What they are is voters. There are enough people in the Hispanic and black and even Asian communities that are offended by the Republican attitude toward minorities that it will certainly have a measurable impact in elections. I don't care if you think we are idiots or not, as long as we win elections.

Quote:
Only a partisan hack would interpret Republican resistance to the Sotomoyer nomination as evidence of "hating people with brown skin."

There were several things the Republicans did that made this specifically a racial issue. Making such a big deal over the "wise Latina" thing is perhaps defensible... but it was certainly questionable for people who don't want to be seen as anti-Hispanic. Calling her a racist is not logical for people who are trying to take race out of the issue. Then there were the national Conservative figures criticizing how she pronounced her name, etc. etc.

Attacking her membership in NCLR (a prominent, relatively moderate, Hispanic civil rights group respected by most Latinos) was a very stupid idea.

Let me tell you... it is a fact that Republican reaction to Sotomayor left a very bad taste in the mouth of Hispanic Americans.

Quote:

Quote:
The Arizona House of Representatives on Monday [that is THIS monday] voted 31 - 22 to advance a bill that would require Arizona's secretary of state to review a presidential candidate's birth certificate before that candidate could get on the ballot in the state.

The Arizona Republic reports, "The legislation originated from a fringe group that believes President Barack Obama is not a natural-born citizen of the United States and therefore ineligible to be president."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20003039-503544.html

Quote:
It's easy to allege racisim at Tea Party gatherings, but where is your proof, and, more importantly, where is your proof that the odd racist sign at a Tea Party gatherin is any more indicative of the entire Tea Party movement that a Kill Bush sign was indicative of the entire anti-Iraqi War movement?

Meh
dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 11:18 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:
Can atates in the US DO that?

Immigration stuff is federal here. Signature

We shall soon see. This will be brought to the (Federal) courts very quickly. Many of us are chomping at the bit to challenge this.

Thanks ebrown...I'll be interested to see, too.

In the old days, our state of Queensland might have tried something like this!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 11:46 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:
The belief that Republicans hate people with brown skin is a "commonly held idea" among idiots.

Whether they are idiots or not doesn't matter. What they are is voters. There are enough people in the Hispanic and black and even Asian communities that are offended by the Republican attitude toward minorities that it will certainly have a measurable impact in elections. I don't care if you think we are idiots or not, as long as we win elections.

Quote:

There were several things the Republicans did that made this specifically a racial issue. Making such a big deal over the "wise Latina" thing is perhaps defensible... but it was certainly questionable for people who don't want to be seen as anti-Hispanic. Calling her a racist is not logical for people who are trying to take race out of the issue. Then there were the national Conservative figures criticizing how she pronounced her name, etc. etc.

Attacking her membership in NCLR (a prominent, relatively moderate, Hispanic civil rights group respected by most Latinos) was a very stupid idea.

Let me tell you... it is a fact that Republican reaction to Sotomayor left a very bad taste in the mouth of Hispanic Americans.

Quote:

Quote:
The Arizona House of Representatives on Monday [that is THIS monday] voted 31 - 22 to advance a bill that would require Arizona's secretary of state to review a presidential candidate's birth certificate before that candidate could get on the ballot in the state.

The Arizona Republic reports, "The legislation originated from a fringe group that believes President Barack Obama is not a natural-born citizen of the United States and therefore ineligible to be president."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20003039-503544.html

Quote:

Meh

Actually it does matter whether or not they are idiots, but, nevertheless, there is no reason to believe that Hispanics, Blacks or even all Leftist Idiots believe that Republicans hate people with brown skin.

I will say this ebrown, you are a near perfect example of a leftist idealogue. You don't care what anyone thinks or says as long as you can win elections.

But...you will not. Despite all of your adherence to the Alinsky rules, you're not going to force this **** on the voters in November.

You and your fellow Lib Parcivals are going down in the mid-terms.

Furthermore: You specifically called out birther laws (plural), but could only provide some substantiation about a single bill presented to the AZ legislature.

Don't know where you live Browny but I bet your state legislature has entertained any number of wild ass liberal bills. More, it is likely, became law than the nonsense you allege.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 12:02 am
This is all Joe Arpaio's doing. As a fellow AZ I am saddened to think there are people in our government who are allowed to be so blatantly Republican conservative control freaks who con our senior citizens (our biggest voting population) into thinking he is the best option. Very scary.....

AZ citizens are not all like that and will have a good time testing Joe's politics mongering as time goes on.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 12:26 am
@mm25075,
mm25075 wrote:

... I am saddened to think there are people in our government who are allowed to be so blatantly Republican conservative control freaks ...

Damn!

I think you need to organize a movement to outlaw the Republican Party and prohibit anyone who identifes themself as a conservative or a control freak from ever running for public office.

You guys need to seize Arizona from the racist anal retentives who currently run your beloved state.

BTW --- You are a citizen of AZ aren't you?
Irishk

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 12:38 am
@mm25075,
mm25075 wrote:
AZ citizens are not all like that and will have a good time testing Joe's politics mongering as time goes on.

He seems pretty popular, though. Elected five consecutive times since 1992 and beat a recall in 2007 (group couldn't even get 200,000 names on a petition lol). He's getting up there in years, so I'm guessing he'll retire soon.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 01:39 am

I might be willing to re-consider the illegal alien situation
if the intruders were taxed at a triple rate on income relative to citizens,
whose tax rates woud be commensurately reduced.
We coud carry out any attendant legal adjustments bearing upon that.

David
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 03:12 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
Arizona is a uniquely backwards, bigoted state filled with gun-toting redneck birthers.

You, sir, are a dumbass.
Below viewing threshold (view)
dadpad

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 04:26 am
@Ticomaya,
Cutting riposte there Tico. (insert sarcasm emoticon)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 04:38 am

I 've been in touch with the Office of Arizona Senator Russell Pearce,
the author of both SB1108 for freely carrying concealed guns with no license
and
SB1070 for resisting the intrusions of Mexicans; I expressed my admiration, my thanks
and my wish that he will run for President of the United States! I 'd love to vote for him.

David
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:09 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

ebrown p wrote:
Arizona is a uniquely backwards, bigoted state filled with gun-toting redneck birthers.

You, sir, are a dumbass.

But a correct dumbass. Not that all Arizoners fit that description, but enough do to pass bigoted laws.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:16 am
So, do you guys think the law will be effective at reducing the number of illegal immigrants in Arizona?
djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:23 am
my thoughts on this

if this law is valid it should be applied across the board to anyone who could be an illegal immigrant, in canada (and i'm guessing the states as well) asians make up a large percentage of the illegals followed by people from the islands (bermuda, jamaica et al) and former eastern bloc countries (mostly poles)

everyone would then be a potential target for proof of citizenship, problem solved, they could have state border checkpoints
ebrown p

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:26 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
So, do you guys think the law will be effective at reducing the number of illegal immigrants in Arizona?

The law may be effective at reducing the number of Hispanics in Arizona (which is really the point after all).
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:29 am
@djjd62,
I think that's the plan. The law doesn't single out hispanic immigrants; it does apply to all.
djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 08:09 am
@maporsche,
and yet the discussion is aimed mostly at mexicans, it's always nice to have a readily identifiable enemy, hitler taught us that (insert sarcastic smiley here)
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 08:12 am
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 08:51 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

my thoughts on this

if this law is valid it should be applied across the board to anyone who could be an illegal immigrant, in canada (and i'm guessing the states as well) asians make up a large percentage of the illegals followed by people from the islands (bermuda, jamaica et al) and former eastern bloc countries (mostly poles)

everyone would then be a potential target for proof of citizenship, problem solved, they could have state border checkpoints

It does apply to all illegals. Including, I would assume, those 300 Somalis that crossed into the U.S. from Mexico a few weeks ago. The Feds were able to track them through Kenya, Dubai, Moscow, Cuba, South America and Mexico, but lost them once they crossed into the United States. They have no idea where they are...just that they are here. They do have a man (an American) in custody who they are certain facilitated the smuggling and who has admitted having ties to a terrorist group. They are very worried.

Be alert...they could be headed to Canada.