May I see your papers, citizen?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 08:58 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
As I've stated in numerous other posts to this thread, the issue is that US citizens will see significantly increased levels of police harassment because of the color of their skin. Are you going to speak up for the rights of the minority of citizens with dark skin or will you let it go by because your skin isn't dark?
U think that 's what Michael Jackson had in mind ?

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 09:08 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
It's time to deploy the National Guard and close the border.
OmSigDAVID wrote:
It really IS. Can u help us with a moat?

Maybe lay minefields along the fence behind the moat.

David
H2O MAN wrote:
Drop a few criminals that are crossing the border at the busiest locations (DRT) ...
that will end of the influx of illegals.
It WOUD, for sure. If the Arizona National Guard put some snipers to guard the fence
at opportune, much used points of entry, intrusion woud end immediately.

David
plainoldme

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 09:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
"Huge" numbers of Americans agree with this? Well, let's see. FAIR claims to have a membership of 200,000. There are 307,000,000 people in the US.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 09:20 pm
@H2O MAN,
Boy, you guys sure lack creativity. Why not put some piranhas into the water? Keep out those wetbacks and provide a rip roarin' rootin' tootin' show at the same time! The government can sell tickets and boost the economy!
mysteryman

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 09:22 pm
@plainoldme,
How am I picking a fight?
I am responding to exactly what you said.
I havent added to it, I havent embellished it, nor have I taken it out of context.

If you didnt mean what you wrote, then please clarify what you meant.
If you meant it, then you deserve to get challenged on it.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:53 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Keep out those wetbacks !

You are such a racists!
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 03:13 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

It WOUD, for sure. If the Arizona National Guard put some snipers to guard the fence
at opportune, much used points of entry, intrusion woud end immediately.

Actually there are groups of armed citizens who actively look for people crossing already. Think 100+ miles across. It takes8 hours to cross the state of AZ by car doing 75mph most of the way. Kind of like trying to find the proverbial needle in a hay stack.

Additionally, there are tons of Mexican citizens who attempt to cross when the water sources are completely dry during the summer season. Attempt is the word. They often die of dehydration.
mm25075

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 03:30 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

The government coming for the illegals does NOT mean that they will come for me. Your analogy is stupid.

Actually, it's not that far off base. I live in AZ, I am FULLY a legal citizen but I could appear (depending on the person making the judgement) hispanic. Addtionally I work with a VERY LARGE number of legal citizens who are hispanic (are bi-lingual) and have very large families where one or two grandparents only speak Spanish. What the law is trying to do is say it is ok for the police to ask me and other citizens to PROVE our citizenship whenever we might be asked.

How would you like to be walking down the street minding your own business, following the law, and get asked to provide proof that you can live in this country legally? Too much potential for harassment. I know many members of law enforcement who would not use that kind of power over others, but unfortunately I know of too many (in AZ) that see the position as one of complete power and treat people like they are guilty of every crime in the book, just because they can. :/

What if I didn't bring my ID with me that day? Should I be detained/arressted because I appear to be a Mexican and don't have proof?

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 03:33 pm
I believe this will also affect the tourist trade. I know Arizona is scratched off my to do list.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 03:38 pm
@Ceili,
Echo that

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 03:40 pm
@Ceili,
I'm mixed about the boycotting that is going on. I fully understand the underlying disgust that the boycott efforts are expressive of - but many people in Arizona are not for this bill and they get hurt too.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 03:43 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm mixed about the boycotting that is going on. I fully understand the underlying disgust that the boycott efforts are expressive of - but many people in Arizona are not for this bill and they get hurt too.

That's the whole point of a boycott - cause the State and the people there enough pain to make them change their minds about their elected leadership.

Cycloptichorn
mm25075

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 03:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Agreed osso. I am very against it.

Timing of everything however, the touristy areas of AZ are not very busy now as we gear up for summer. Most will have forgotten about the boycott come next tourist season.

I truly wonder what would happen if a legal citizen refuses to provide proof if it requested of them.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 05:14 pm
I don't think the boycott will have much affect one way or another. I might microwave my copy of Raising Arizona later...

Solidarity!!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 05:23 pm
I'm boycotting Arizona Tea Co.
Irishk

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 05:24 pm
@dyslexia,
I've already killed my Christmas Cactus...but I'm thinking of killing it again!

Solidarity!
dyslexia

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 05:30 pm
@Irishk,
Lady Diane is originally from Tucson but since Tucson is suing the state of Ariz to repeal the new statute she's decided not to take any legal action at this point in time.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 05:35 pm

The wife and I are vacationing in Arizona later this year as a show of support and solidarity.
I will visit my gunsmith and the company that makes my sound suppressor while I'm in town and infuse a little cash into the local economy.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 05:39 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Great!

They are located in Nassau County, Long Island, New York.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 05:52 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

dyslexia wrote:

Great!

They are located in Nassau County, Long Island, New York.
yeah, irony can be pretty funny.