May I see your papers, citizen?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 10:13 pm
@engineer,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
That 's an interesting thawt. In theory,
is failure to execute the immigration law an impeachable offense ?

Article 2 Section 3 of the Constitution requires of the President
that: "he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed".
engineer wrote:
But immigration laws are being enforced.
The question is whether thay r being "FAITHFULLY executed" or lax and only perfunctorily,
because of a decision based on choice of political philosophy.

IS the president DOING what he gets paid to DO,
or is he only ostensibly going thru the motions?
That is the question.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 10:24 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Over ten million illegals in our country and someone wants to claim that immigration laws are being enforced??!!

Now THAT is funny....
mysteryman

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 05:24 am
@plainoldme,
I was refering to your comment that "all white people are immigrants, and I wonder how many are here illegally"

That was just as racist a statement as you accuse others of making.
engineer

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 06:34 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Over ten million illegals in our country and someone wants to claim that immigration laws are being enforced??!!

Sure. Just because there are illegal drugs in this country (with millions of users) that doesn't mean that drug laws aren't being enforced. In the case of border security, I know my passport was checked every single time I entered the country. In this case the incentive to break the law is so high that people are overwhelming law enforcement, but it's silly to say that there is no law enforcement when it is omnipresent around the border. The number of illegal immigrants removed by ICE in 2009 was 387,790, a record. As I said before, lobby for significantly higher taxes and we can pay the deficit and start spending more on border enforcement. If you want to fight two wars using borrowed cash, expect the government to cut back on programs across the board including border security.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 06:36 am

I congratulate the good folks of Arizona for using some common sense and hope more states do the same.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 08:31 am
@engineer,
Quote:
lobby for significantly higher taxes and we can pay the deficit and start spending more on border enforcement. If you want to fight two wars using borrowed cash, expect the government to cut back on programs across the board including border security.
I'd rather pay for it by placing big fines on those caught employing illegals.
engineer

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 09:04 am
@hawkeye10,
I'm ok with that too.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 09:18 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I'm ok with that too.
no, I have to disagree, a free market economy, a libertarian economy, does have some merit. there is room for unions and there is room for labor competition as well as room for employer competition.
engineer

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 09:22 am
@dyslexia,
Sure, but you have to change the law. Right now, the law forbids hiring illegal immigrants.
Thomas

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 09:28 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

I was refering to your comment that "all white people are immigrants, and I wonder how many are here illegally"

That was just as racist a statement as you accuse others of making.

No, it was a value-neutral statement about the facts. Quite plausibly, North America's invasion by European settlers violated the laws of the various American-Indian nations, whose claim on the land is older than yours.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 09:31 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Sure, but you have to change the law. Right now, the law forbids hiring illegal immigrants.
well it's not like the law can't be changed, it's been changed many times in the past and it's certainly easier than militarizing 1,000's of miles of borders.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:38 am
@Thomas,
When someone says "ALL " when talking about a group of anything, it is not value nuetral.

By saying "ALL white people" that means that he is saying everyone, with no exception.
Are you an immigrant to your country?
Were you born somewhere else?

I was born here in the US, as were my parents, and their parents, etc all the way back to 1728 (on my dads side), so how does that make me an immigrant to the US?
Thomas

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:59 am
@mysteryman,
Fair enough. I traced your exchange back to Boortz's original statement, and he did mean the actual people who crossed the border illegally.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 11:28 am
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:
How is someone's constitutional rights being violated? If an officer stops you for a valid reason (the way I read the bill, they cannot just walk up and stop people for no reason, but I'm sure you'll tell me if I am mistaken) the officer has a right to ask for id. If legal id is produced, no problem. If none can be produced, you can be detained on suspicion of being in the country illegally (which is a crime you know). How is any of that a constitutional violation?

I'm still catching up on this thread, so this might already have been addressed, but:

I suspect that this will violate the equal protection clause. If a white driver is stopped, but doesn't have a valid ID for whatever reason (maybe he left his wallet at home), is he going to be detained? Probably not. If someone with brown skin is stopped, but doesn't have a valid ID, he's going to be detained.

And I have questions about the legality of detaining people over a simple failure to produce an ID. I know that in a lot of jurisdictions, the police can ask your name, but can not demand that you show ID. Having a picture ID is not a requirement to live in our country (although having a picture ID is necessary to engage in many forms of commerce).
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 11:33 am
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

So the argument against this law, as you see it, is that the law is racist? Nowhere in this bill is any particular race targeted. And before you make the argument, I will certainly concede that the majority of illegals in Arizona are probably Hispanic, but that does not make the law racist

Poll taxes and literacy tests didn't specifically mention race, either, but the courts found them unconstitutional. It's the impact of the law, not the specific wording, that determines whether it is racist.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 11:56 am
One thing I rarely see discussed in pondering what should (or should not) be done with regard to immigration is reform in Mexico. Is it the general consensus that Mexico's government is too far gone down the path of corruption or that pressure for reform would be seen as interference? What would the scenario be for the poor of Mexico if there were an ocean between our countries? More political action by their own citizens?
ebrown p

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:04 pm
@Irishk,
Do you the slightest idea about what is happening in Mexico's government?

I think this would be a rather superficial discussion.

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:10 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

One thing I rarely see discussed in pondering what should (or should not) be done with regard to immigration is reform in Mexico.

Get caught entering Mexico illegally and see what happens.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:23 pm
Than let us send our army to mexico so we can solve our mutual problems.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
It is a very well known, often discussed quote and engineer gave you the whole story.