May I see your papers, citizen?

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 07:10 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
Of course by failing to act, the feds are allowing the burden of the system to fall disproportionally on the people of the border states, but they're just the "victims of the week", right?
there is not yet a winner for who is the victim this week, some have it all who are in America who look Mexican, and others have it all Mexican illegals.

So some people who look Mexican might be asked to document their citizenship more than others because most of the illegals are Mexican.....BOO HOO.
Advocate

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 07:11 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:

You are missing the point that, through mandamus, the government can often be required to enforce a law.

Factually it can't. The Federal government has sovereign immunity, meaning this whole tangent is irrelevant in any legal sense.

As usual, you are winging (lying) it. Sovereign immunity applies to damages, and would not apply to mandamus.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 07:21 pm
Quote:
President Obama is taking aim at the angry, anti-government rhetoric.

(GETTY IMAGES)
In a commencement speech, the president suggested this heated language is out-of-line and could be dangerous:

"At its worst, it can send signals to the most extreme elements of our society that perhaps violence is a justifiable response."

Just like it was for the colonists once upon a time when they got a bellyful of the English crown.

Peggy Noonan writes in the Wall Street Journal that the American people feel increasingly alienated from their government in Washington, which is ignoring public unrest and refusing to address big problems
http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/03/rising-level-of-public-anger-against-federal-govt/?hpt=T3

Our Federal government coddles law breaking Mexicans but can't run our economy, Cant manage money, can't keep oil out of the gulf, can't keep state governments like California, Illinois and NY from degenerating into jokes, cant keep our food safe, can't deal with corporations corrupting our government and so on and so on.....

GOVERNMENT NO LONGER WORKS FOR THE PEOPLE. It is certainly time to clear everyone out, and hope that a new crew knows what the **** they are doing, cause our current leaders are worthless.
mysteryman

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:05 pm
@plainoldme,
How do you figure that,or are you just making a racist statement?

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
Obama said:
Quote:

"At its worst, it can send signals to the most extreme elements of our society that perhaps violence is a justifiable response

There is going to be violence, which is wholly justified, the primary target of which will be those who have bungled the job of running our federal government. Stay tuned to the next election for illustration.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
Where was he when the "heated language" was used against Bush and the repubs?

He didnt seem to think it was to big a deal then.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
"First the government came for people who looked like Mexicans and I said nothing because I don't look Mexican."
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:14 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
"First the government came for people who looked like Mexicans and I said nothing because I don't look Mexican."
If it were known fact that a great many criminals looked like me I would expect to be questioned. I don't have many nice things about individuals who whine about their rights while gumming up the works for our collective. We have taken self indulgence to a new and dangerous level. You apologists for this stupidity really should have your heads examined.
Thomas

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:22 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
Alright, hypothetically, suppose that I make a false report to the police that a group of hispanic looking people are "up to no good" and the police don't come. Please quote for me the section of the law which suggests that I could then sue them successfully.

Section 2, Subsection G: "A PERSON MAY BRING AN ACTION IN SUPERIOR COURT TO CHALLENGE ANY OFFICIAL OR AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE THAT ADOPTS OR IMPLEMENTS A POLICY THAT LIMITS OR RESTRICTS THE ENFORCEMENT OF FEDERAL IMMIGRATION LAWS TO LESS THAN THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY FEDERAL LAW." (The caps are in the original -- sorry about the appearance of yelling.)

Brandon9000 wrote:
As for your "solution," what I really intended to ask you was what "valid" law the majority of citizens who want to retain the immigration laws and enforce them could do to accomplish it. Please provide an alternative for enforcing the law, which you wouldn't consider a travesty of justice.

To begin with, "the majority of citizens who want to retain the immigration laws and enforce them" could vote for federal congressmen who are willing to do two things: (1) enact a federal version of Arizona's immigration law, (2) expand the FBI enough to actually enforce the new law, and (3) raise taxes enough to fund this expansion of the FBI. (Good luck with that!)

Once that's done, we can wait and see how the law is applied, and have the Supreme Court strike down unconstitutional-as-applied parts as necessary.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
Speaking up for civil rights is hardly self indulgence. It often puts you on the same side as the worst or most disadvantaged elements in our society. Protecting their rights is the first and most important step in protecting our own. Just as David won't accept any infringement on his gun rights, so I feel about our civil rights. Our civil rights are not God given; they've been earned by hard work and sacrifice by successive generations and they can be lost just as gradually without vigilance. Give away your own rights if you want, leave mine and everyone else's alone.

For those few who haven't read the full quote:
Quote:
Martin Niemoeller, a German Evangelical Lutheran pastor, was imprisoned for eight years by the Nazi regime. He spoke of the days in the 1930's when Hitler was coming to power:

"First they came for the Communists, but we were not communists, so we said nothing. Then they came for the trade unionists, but we were not trade unionists, so we said nothing. They then came for the Jews, but we were not Jews, so we said nothing. They then came for the mentally deficient, but we were not mentally deficient, so we said nothing. Then they came for me, and there was no one left to say anything."
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
You are grasping at straws. You are reduced to this because you take the idiotic position that America does not have the right to look out for its own interests above those of citizens of other countries.

Because you are obviously the judge of who wins or loses an argument with you, I will now humbly implode.

On a more serious note: Although I don't agree with you, and don't expect that to change anytime soon, our discussion has helped me clarify my thinking. To invoke the Supremacy Clause in federal court, the Obama administration would have to come out and say they're deliberately lax about enforcing US immigration law. Although it would strengthen their legal argument, it would be a public relations disaster. I'm beginning to speculate that this may be the true point of Arizona's law -- that they're essentially playing "chicken" with the federal government.
ebrown p

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
If it were known fact that a great many criminals looked like me I would expect to be questioned.

I don't know hawkeye... if you looked like a serial killer, maybe. But if you looked like a jaywalker, perhaps not.

Part of the problem with the immigration hysteria is that the "crime" in question involves walking across a border. The vast majority of people who commit this horrible crime are here to work, and to provide a better life for their families.

It is the hyping of a non-violent crime into something that seems more horrendous than rape to most conservatives that is the problem.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:31 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

Thomas wrote:

A writ of mandamus doesn't come from individual citizens. It comes from a superior court and goes to an inferior court or some other government agency. All that individuals can do is to petition for a writ of mandamus, which the court can then grant or deny. That's what the page behind your link is about.

You are missing the point that, through mandamus, the government can often be required to enforce a law.

As Findlaw's legal dictionary makes clear, "Mandamus is an extraordinary remedy and is issued usu. only to command the performance of a ministerial act. It cannot be used to substitute the court's judgment for the defendant's in the performance of a discretionary act." Pursuing criminals is a discretionary act of the DAs, and of their higher-ranking equivalents in the various government pecking orders.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:32 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
I'm beginning to speculate that this may be the true point of Arizona's law -- that they're essentially playing "chicken" with the federal government.

I doubt it Thomas.

First, you are giving the mental capability of the right wingers in Arizona far too much credit.

Second, in this game of chicken, they are a bicycle rider facing a pickup truck.

((darn... I suppose I am contradicting myself here))
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 08:53 pm
@Thomas,
hawkeye10 wrote:
You are grasping at straws. You are reduced to this because
you take the idiotic position that America does not have the right
to look out for its own interests above those of citizens of other countries.
Thomas wrote:
Because you are obviously the judge of who wins or loses an argument with you,
I will now humbly implode.
NO! Don 't do it, Thomas!!! Please re-consider this decision! This is imperative!

Thomas wrote:
On a more serious note: Although I don't agree with you, and don't expect that to change anytime soon, our discussion has helped me clarify my thinking. To invoke the Supremacy Clause in federal court, the Obama administration would have to come out and say they're deliberately lax about enforcing US immigration law. Although it would strengthen their legal argument, it would be a public relations disaster. I'm beginning to speculate that this may be the true point of Arizona's law -- that they're essentially playing "chicken" with the federal government.
That 's an interesting thawt. In theory,
is failure to execute the immigration law an impeachable offense ?

Article 2 Section 3 of the Constitution requires of the President
that: "he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed".
Obviously, as a practical matter, so long as the House is in the hands of his own party, that cannot and will not happen.

[All emfasis has been added by David.]

David
engineer

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 09:03 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

]That 's an interesting thawt. In theory,
is failure to execute the immigration law an impeachable offense ?

Article 2 Section 3 of the Constitution requires of the President
that: "he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed".

But immigration laws are being enforced. Police are enforcing laws against murder and people are still murdered. Just because illegal immigrants get in doesn't mean the feds aren't enforcing the law. The border patrol is out there, immigrants are being deported, businesses are being raided, passports are being checked, bags searched. Given that there is an entire organization working to enforce immigration law, it's hard to justify the argument that the government is willfully refusing to enforce it. Once we clear up the deficit, I'm sure there will be more money available for immigration control.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 09:09 pm
@mysteryman,
What are you referring to? I have dedicated my life to eradicating racism, starting with me. I will file your accusation under flip remarks.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 09:11 pm
@engineer,
I have the feeling that he didn't get the reference.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 09:32 pm
@plainoldme,
if it was a known quote then no I did not. I assumed that it was the slippery slope argument, which I dispensed with.
rabel22

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 10:02 pm
@plainoldme,
When he cant argue the facts he falls back on raceism. It works for all his arguments.
0 Replies