May I see your papers, citizen?

engineer

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 08:16 am
@ebrown p,
True, but if it were, I expect the poll results would be different.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 08:21 am
@OmSigDAVID,
News flash: I never read the little red book. I can accurately label myself a Medievalist and as such, I would compare Mao's Cultural REvolution with the Wars of Religion (yes! They were post-Medieval! Sometimes, you just apply your tools to other periods) in France. I would also compare the destruction wrought by French Protestants to the destruction of the Buddhas of Bamyan by the Taliban.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 08:27 am
The law has just be revised. The AZ governor claims that this will ease concerns about racial profiling.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/arizona-governor-signs-revised-immigration-bill-into-law/19461093
plainoldme

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 08:31 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Again, as you fail to understand what I wrote about JEws and humor . . . which is not surprising as you seem to totally lack a sense of humor . . . Jewish humor was largely self-deprecating and also filled with in jokes and with Yiddish words. During the late '50s and into the mid-60s, when NYC was still the cultural center of America (which it hasn't been in years), it was hip or chic or whichever word you chose to sprinkle one's conversation with Jewish words. That was part and parcel of the acceptance of Jews by Americans that came out of the totally non-violent way that the Jews made themselves main stream and acceptable.

There were other parts, including the mid-20th C. domination of American letters by several Jewish novelists: the satirist Philip Roth, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Saul Bellow, Norman Mailer, Bernard Malamud and more.

Consider what self-deprecating means and what an important part of humor self-deprecation is. While you let your ME flag fly, others use self-deprecation which is far more endearing . . . to a point.

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 08:33 am
@hawkeye10,
The Zogby poll was probably written so that there was no other way to reply except to approve the AZ action.

Yellow journalism, hawkeye, yellow journalism!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 08:35 am
@Advocate,
A revision this soon after passing means that AZ has been severely criticized and that the state wants to avoid a test case.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 08:53 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Arizona's tough new illegal immigration enforcement law would not be right for Texas, Gov. Rick Perry said on Thursday, upholding the state's long-held tradition of rejecting harsh anti-immigrant policies. ...

Interesting. I would have thought Perry would push the idea, seeing he is up for re-election.

Admittedly, I know only little about Perry. To me, he basically was the Republican candidate in the election where Kinky Friedman ran for governor. But I did get a bit of an impression of him from watching the TV debates in that election. Perry looked to me like a pretty standard politician from his party's business wing -- the wing that likes immigrants for their cheap labor. (And, perhaps, out of genuine libertarian attitudes.) So his reaction doesn't surprise me.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 10:20 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:
Arizona's tough new illegal immigration enforcement law would not be right for Texas, Gov. Rick Perry said on Thursday, upholding the state's long-held tradition of rejecting harsh anti-immigrant policies. ...

Interesting. I would have thought Perry would push the idea, seeing he is up for re-election.

Admittedly, I know only little about Perry. To me, he basically was the Republican candidate in the election where Kinky Friedman ran for governor. But I did get a bit of an impression of him from watching the TV debates in that election. Perry looked to me like a pretty standard politician from his party's business wing -- the wing that likes immigrants for their cheap labor. (And, perhaps, out of genuine libertarian attitudes.) So his reaction doesn't surprise me.

Perry started as a Democrat. Knowing which side of the bread wears the butter, he switched. He is in many minds positioning himself for a presidential run.
Thomas

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 10:26 am
@edgarblythe,
Figures. Either way, he's not not a tea-partier hungry for red meat. And that's the wing of the Republican party that mostly drives the anti-immigrant hysteria.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 10:33 am
I took this from PDiddie's blog:

Perry took heat during this year's Republican primary for backing in-state tuition for illegal immigrants, saying in a debate that the students are on a path to citizenship.

“Texas has a rich history with Mexico, our largest trading partner, and we share more than 1,200 miles of border, more than any other state,” Perry said Thursday. “As the debate on immigration reform intensifies, the focus must remain on border security and the federal government's failure to adequately protect our borders.

“Securing our border is a federal responsibility, but it is a Texas problem, and it must be addressed before comprehensive immigration reform is discussed.”

This stance is truly much more about homebuilder Bob Perry's campaign contributions to the governor than anything else. Perry Homes needs a large supply of cheap workers to keep building those crappy suburban tract houses, no matter what he says publicly (note that linked op-ed calling for immigration reform by Dallas business leaders is almost four years old).
spendius

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 11:05 am
@edgarblythe,
The only thing to do Ed is to have another border control agency around Texas. Dallas business leaders only have one vote each just as cheap workers do.

The usage of "crappy" betrays a certain complacent superiority I would have said. The houses are probably luxury accomodation to the cheap workers.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 11:07 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
Figures. Either way, he's not not a tea-partier hungry for red meat. And that's the wing of the Republican party that mostly drives the anti-immigrant hysteria
this thread is not about immigration in total, but illegals, and you have no basis for saying that this is a hysteria nor that it is driven by the tea party. The majority is anti illegals, fed up, and demanding action against them.

You weaken your credibility going forward when you continue to spew such lies as I have quoted.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 11:13 am
where are all of those mass demonstrations against the Arizona law from coast to coast which were supposed to be taking place today? Did the organizers figure out, as Obama did, after they ran off at the mouth in horror of the law that the majority of Americans support Arizona??? Me thinks they did.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 11:40 am
In today's Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me, Roy Blount, Jr., advised people in AZ to never ask a cop for directions.

On another note, yes, Mexico and Texas have had a long standing relationship. Texas was stolen from MExico.
engineer

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 11:42 am
@plainoldme,
I thought Texas rebelled and won their freedom.
ebrown p

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 12:13 pm
@engineer,
The Texans who rebelled were immigrants to Mexico from the United States. The freedom they wanted was the freedom to have slaves.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 12:34 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
I think the poll should ask if it is OK for the police to stop people and arrest them if they cannot produce id.
If police find them brawling or robbing and thay can t speak English,
that is a very fine idea.

engineer wrote:
My concern has always been about the erosion of citizen rights and the expansion of police power.
Agree about that, but not as to illegal aliens.

engineer wrote:
No one is asking about that. People continue to imply that this law only affects immigrants. It affects all people.
Somehow, I don 't think it will affect me;
if it does, I 'll be a good sport about it. I don' t expect much trouble.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 12:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
The mix in the public mind of Mexican drug criminals with the honest hard working Mexican family
is over the top. Mere collateral damage, I suppose some would say.
The Mexicans have NO RIGHT to be in America.
We owe them nothing.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 01:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
The Mexicans have NO RIGHT to be in America.
We owe them nothing.

How is this not clear to everyone...is there some stupidity drug in the water supply?
Irishk

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 01:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
Bong. Mexican bong lol.
0 Replies