Is smoking good for you?

spendius

Thu 22 Apr, 2010 03:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
What they work to do and the language they employ to get that work accepted and done are two very different things hawk.

hawkeye10

Thu 22 Apr, 2010 03:34 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
What they work to do and the language they employ to get that work accepted and done are two very different things hawk.
How is it that you understand this much but still say that they elevate the individual above the society?? You have it ass back wards. They CLAIM that they elevate the individual by fighting for what they claim is the individuals right not to be confronted with smoke or with any of the costs of smoking which is allowed by the collective, and yet what they really are doing is beating individual rights into a pulp by fighting to limit the right to smoke.......they are shrinking the right to smoke till it gets small enough to drown it in the bathtub, and they make no secret that this is the agenda.
BDV

Thu 22 Apr, 2010 05:05 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Interesting article. Especially this bit.

That is the authors opinion, funny you ignored the rest!! Believe wat fits your agenda, ignore wat doesn't
spendius

Thu 22 Apr, 2010 05:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
I agree hawk. We are just phrasing it differently.

They haven't the slightest interest in individual rights. We hardly ever see them in the pub now they have taken our pleasures away. The clean air doesn't interest them at all. Making a fuss interests them.

You don't vote do you? You might as well piss into a ******* hurricane.

0 Replies

maporsche

Thu 22 Apr, 2010 07:02 pm
@BDV,
The whole article is his opinion. Why are you ignoring the parts you don't want to believe?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 22 Apr, 2010 09:29 pm
I've seen numerous people die from emphysema after decades of major cig smoking. I loved some of those people.
As an old smoker, I get smoking rights arguments.
As a person who pays for insurance that puts me out of grocery buying, I eye paying for your pleasure somewhat askance.
On the other hand, I'm sardonic about insurance firms.
Ionus

Thu 22 Apr, 2010 11:27 pm
@ossobuco,
I think it is funny to see smokers who have had to have a limb removed..I am waiting to see one with both arms removed to see if they give up smoking or try with their feet.
BDV

Fri 23 Apr, 2010 03:25 am
@Ionus,
Do u laugh at all disabled people? Is it funny seeing a war vet trying to smoke a cigarette after loosing his limbs in a bomb?
Ionus

Fri 23 Apr, 2010 03:56 am
@BDV,
I laugh at anyone who says it wont happen to me despite multiple warnings, ad campaigns and plain common sense and then when it does, who's fault is it ? Do you see selfish stupidity as a comparable trait to fighting for your country ?
BDV

Fri 23 Apr, 2010 10:34 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
I laugh at anyone who says it wont happen to me despite multiple warnings, ad campaigns and plain common sense and then when it does, who's fault is it ? Do you see selfish stupidity as a comparable trait to fighting for your country ?

Your an idiot
hawkeye10

Sat 24 Apr, 2010 04:25 pm
Quote:
Health.com) -- There's a species of smoker among us that is common, yet poorly understood.

Their habitat consists of parties, barbecues, and the sidewalks outside bars and restaurants.

They prefer to scrounge for their cigarettes, and if they do buy a pack, they're apt to nurse it for a week or more. You may hear them say, "I'm not a smoker," or "only on weekends."

These are "social smokers" -- and there are more of them than you might think.

Smoking is often characterized as an all-or-nothing activity -- on doctor's office questionnaires it's usually a yes-or-no question, for instance -- but by some estimates, anywhere from one-fifth to one-third of adults who smoke don't light up every day.

While some of these so-called nondaily smokers smoke regularly but sparingly, up to 30 percent likely fall into the social-smoker category.

Hard numbers are difficult to come by, in part because the definition of a social smoker is so vague. A 2007 study of social smoking among college students -- one of very few that have been published on the subject -- found the term was used "loosely and inconsistently," even among researchers.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/04/24/social.smokers/index.html?hpt=C2

And why is it that all these many decades after we have been supposedly studying tobacco use do we know basically nothing about the interaction between smokes and people??

Answer: because this information is not useful to either side. Tobacco companies care about those who will buy a good bit of their product, and the anti smoking crusaders only are about gathering evidence to support their cause.

It would have been nice if government had cared enough about the truth to do some discovery before they jumped into the argument, taking the crusaders side.
0 Replies

BDV

Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:30 pm
The truth only matters if its profitable
Ionus

Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:53 pm
@BDV,
Quote:
The truth only matters if its profitable
Is it profitable for an individual to know the truth that may save their limbs ? Or is it better they live in denial with their drug addiction ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:53 pm
@BDV,
Quote:
Your an idiot
Didnt you like my post ?
0 Replies

maporsche

Sun 30 May, 2010 02:46 pm
You know, you've convinced me to the benefits of smoking.

Based on the facts presented in this online debate, I'm 100% confidant in saying that this person will NEVER develop any of the horrible age-related illnesses that smoking will cure the world from.

Thank god for tobacco.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/odd/2010-05/30/c_13323923.htm
Quote:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/odd/2010-05/30/13323923_11n.jpg
2-year-old boy smokes 40 cigarettes a day
BEIJING, May 30 -- Taking a deep drag on his cigarette while resting on the steering wheel of his truck, he looks like a parody of a middle-aged lorry driver.

But the image covers up a much more disturbing truth: At just the tender age of two, Ardi Rizal's health has been so ruined by his 40-a-day habit that he now struggles to move by himself.

The four-stone Indonesia toddler is certainly far too unfit to run around with other children - and his condition is set to rapidly deteriorate.

His mother, Diana, 26, wept: "He's totally addicted. If he doesn't get cigarettes, he gets angry and screams and batters his head against the wall. He tells me he feels dizzy and sick."

But, despite local officials' offer to buy the Rizal family a new car if the boy quits, his parents feel unable to stop him because he throws massive tantrums if they don't indulge him.

Ardi will smoke only one brand and his habit costs his parents 3.78 British pounds (about 5.50 U.S. dollars) a day in Musi Banyuasin, in Indonesia's South Sumatra province.

But in spite of this, his fishmonger father Mohammed, 30, said: "He looks pretty healthy to me. I don't see the problem."

Ardi's youth is the extreme of a disturbing trend. Data from the Central Statistics Agency showed 25 per cent of Indonesian children aged three to 15 have tried cigarettes, with 3.2 per cent of those active smokers.

The percentage of five to nine year olds lighting up increased from 0.4 per cent in 2001 to 2.8 per cent in 2004, the agency reported.
maporsche

Sun 30 May, 2010 02:49 pm
@maporsche,
and a very disturbing video here.
http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/health/2010/05/28/2010-05-28_smoking_toddler_sparks_outrage.html
0 Replies

BDV

Sun 30 May, 2010 04:01 pm
@maporsche,
Typical response from the emotional media run mind, so what if this boy lives to 100? what would you say to that? Oh i'm quite sure it would be pushed under the carpet just to prove the anti-smoking lobbies agenda.

At no time did the anti-smoking media worshippers in this debate present any FACTS, just emotional responses based on unfortunate events.

The reason that i started it was simple, is there any benefits to smoking? Naively I expected some real discussion, not mindless "Cancer" adverts and pro-media B.S. that has unfortunately clouded any real discussion on a matter that 1/4 of the world is made to feel guilty about and "PAY" for it.
spendius

Sun 30 May, 2010 04:25 pm
@BDV,
Hey BDV--if you want some real PC anti-smoking **** you should see the BBC science programme in which scientific progress in Europe, which now dominates most of the earth, discussed, in relation to the vast complexity of connections involved, the fuelling up on caffiene in coffee shops, which were known as "Penny Universities", but which were also well known to have a clientele which was as high as a kite on tobacco before the weed was toned down in the same way Coca Cola was in more recent times.

The BBC, having gone into bat against tobacco and having caffiene dispensers in every office, could hardly be strictly scientific about such matters. Not even in science programmes.

Ionus

Sun 30 May, 2010 05:01 pm
@BDV,
Quote:
what if this boy lives to 100?
And what are the chances of that, you idiot !
Quote:
on a matter that 1/4 of the world is made to feel guilty about
You are entitled to feel guilty if you do the wrong thing.
spendius

Sun 30 May, 2010 05:06 pm
@Ionus,
And is lowering your intelligence, imaginative capacities and interest to others whilst evading taxes the right thing?
0 Replies