Is smoking good for you?

BDV

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 04:34 pm
Now before you all jump down my throat with the usual anti-smoking BS, I do believe i'm asking a very straight forward question that should be answered with facts not Government invoked propaganda.

According to the "Anti-Smoking" corner, smokers are killing everyone else (Dubious passive smoking BS), killing themselves, and basically destroying the world and mankind because of the evil weed. Yet they don't tell us about the benefits of inhaling smoke and carbon monoxide generated by these products of satan.

Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, some forms of cancer are drastically reduced within the smoking community. Stress related illnesses are also significantly low. Plus many other things that the "Anti-lobby" do not wish us to hear.

So is it good for you?

My own Granny died from Parkinson's disease, and her last ten years of life were not good, and i know if she knew smoking drastically reduced the risk, she woulda smoked a 100 a day.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 45 • Views: 21,955 • Replies: 249
Topic Closed

MontereyJack

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 04:49 pm
bullshit.
http://psychcentral.com/news/2010/02/02/smoking-may-be-risk-for-alzheimers/11116.html
boomerang

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 04:55 pm
Smoking is, of course, bad for you but I think I've read some stuff about nicotine sometimes benefitting people.
BDV

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 04:55 pm
@MontereyJack,
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/mar/05/smoking-alzheimers-goldacre-bad-science
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 04:57 pm
@BDV,
I think moderate smoking is good for you.

The link Jack has provided worked for me in a similar fashion that the conversation of non-smokers does. Short, boring and stupid and posited on the word "may". Or "could" if they fancy being a bit original.
BDV

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 04:58 pm
@boomerang,
so if it benefits some people then how is it "Bad for you"
spendius

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:01 pm
@spendius,
Everything the government taxes heavily must be good for you as governments are not stupid enough to heavily tax things that are bad for you.

0 Replies

boomerang

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:04 pm
@BDV,
There are a lot of ways to partake of nicotine without smoking.

It's the smoking part -- the inhaling a bunch of stuff into your lungs -- that's bad for you.
OmSigDAVID

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:05 pm
@BDV,
Smoking WHAT ?
BDV

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:12 pm
@boomerang,
That would be the chemicals within the cigarettes i would assume you are mentioning, for example "Benzene" (Lowest used chemical in the alphabet), or one of the many others, which are also found in everyday drinks and foods. Which "Bunch of stuff" do you specifically refer too?
0 Replies

BDV

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:12 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Cigarettes
OmSigDAVID

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:14 pm
@BDV,
BDV wrote:
Cigarettes
WHAT kind ?
spendius

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:15 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
It's the smoking part -- the inhaling a bunch of stuff into your lungs -- that's bad for you.

You'll knock off driving past my house then willya. Please.
BDV

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
The kind you can buy in shops
0 Replies

BDV

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:27 pm
@MontereyJack,
Only three studies have ever linked smoking with AD. The reanalysis, in which the author of one participated, noted, "Since veterans may be expected to smoke more than the general population, and since smokers have been found to respond less frequently to questionnaires than non-smokers, the positive result observed for this study may be spurious."
0 Replies

Green Witch

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 06:05 pm
The most horrible slow death I have ever witnessed was my father-in-law dying from lung cancer. He survived 7 years with one lung. It was 7 agonizing years of gasping for breath, dragging around an oxygen tank and finally be pushed in a wheelchair- tank in tow. In the end he was so barely able to breath he would pass out from the slightest attempt to do anything. In his last year a male healthcare aid would carry him from bed to bathroom so he didn't have to move too much. He didn't have the strength to get to the bathroom at night and had to wear a diaper. This is a man who played semi-professional baseball when he was in his 20's. There are old home movies of him teaching his three sons to swim, canoe, fish, run bases, play football etc. Every photo and image seems to show him holding a cigarette. Since his death there have been six grandchildren born. I believe if he had not smoked he would have gotten to know all of them. I don't care if people smoke, but I wish they would consider the people who love them.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:14 pm
If you think smoking is good for you, then it is.

The High Holy Rollers who despise smoking, need, only not smoke.

I was a smoker for ten years and I loved it. If it didn't eventually make me feel bad I would still be smoking. Develop a healthy cigarette and I will go back to a pack a day.

I reached a point where the ills of smoking outweighed the pleasures, and I quit. A different equation and I would still smoke.

I'm very skepticle about anyone proving that smoking is physiologically "good for you," but am wide open to the notion that smoking is psychically good for you.

There is much more to the enjoyment of life than simply longevity.
ossobuco

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I loved smoking, smoked a great deal for twenty years, let's say at the least two packs a day, and I did quit, as I could read, and I knew people with emphysema.

It took me two times, quitting cold, and the second one took.

I get people who have made different choices.
ossobuco

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:52 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm sure smoking boosted me, psychically, at least sometimes, but just today I noticed some article about smoking as a depressant. No link. But, me, I never took it that way, I took it as help - to answer the telephone, make a call, write a paragraph, start a painting. It was a bolster.

Well, that was all air, but I remember the feelings.
0 Replies

Sglass

Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:03 pm
@BDV,
damned if you do, damned if you don't. everything has its price.