Do you know how to handle bullying?

wmwcjr

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 11:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
So, I guess if a guy bigger than you comes along and starts hitting you with a lead pipe, the police shouldn't be called. After all, it's "survival of the fittest." You'll just have to learn to defend yourself.

Funny, but I didn't even mention Phoebe Snow.

"victims are weak, they are unable to stand up for themselves." Wow, what compassion. You must really hate victims. Why don't we kick the elderly out of rest homes? They're weak; they can't defend themselves. The bullies themselves are weak for feeling the need to bully those who are ill prepared to defend themselves. Do those who say that children have to deal with bullies themselves ever bother to teach those children HOW? No, of course not, because they don't care. Children are ignorant about a lot of things. That's one of their defining characteristics.

"Everyone has strengths and redeeming qualities." Yeah, I'm sure you really mean that. I understand that Hitler loved animals.
Pangloss

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 11:45 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

I understand that Hitler loved animals.

He also didn't drink, and was a vegetarian!

Someone who's truly confident should be able to simply ignore a bully, and usually when they can't get a rise out of their target, they'll stop. This is certainly better than a confrontation in the school setting, where disciplinary action will be taken if anything more than insults takes place.

wmwcjr wrote:

So, I guess if a guy bigger than you comes along and starts hitting you with a lead pipe, the police shouldn't be called. After all, it's "survival of the fittest." You'll just have to learn to defend yourself.

Any beating with a pipe would be over long before any police arrived to save you. There's personal responsibility here too; don't walk alone in dangerous places, and take measures to improve your odds of winning a physical confrontation, should the need come to defend yourself.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 11:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
"A lot of people have trouble calling a spade a spade." Actually, what you believe is calling good, evil and evil, good.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 12:12 am
@hawkeye10,
The kid was about to be BRAINED, you idiot. He didn't even know what was about to happen. If he hadn't moved his head out of the way, he would have been KNOCKED OUT before he even had a chance to respond. And why do you say the football player was wrong to intervene? Why do you fault him? After all, following your own pathetically warped logic, didn't he teach the bully and his punk friends how to deal with the consequences of messing with a SUPERIOR force?

You and Pangloss are a pair of contemptible jackasses. Congratulations, you've just revealed yourselves to all the readers of this forum as the big jerks you really are. If someone bigger than you threatened to do you harm, you'd be the first to call the police. You contribute to the ongoing moral rot of society. You two would have done well in either Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia.
Pangloss

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 12:27 am
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

You and Pangloss are a pair of contemptible jackasses. Congratulations, you've just revealed yourselves to all the readers of this forum as the big jerks you really are. If someone bigger than you threatened to do you harm, you'd be the first to call the police. You contribute to the ongoing moral rot of society. You two would have done well in either Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia.

LOL. I don't agree with everything hawkeye is saying. I just think that some of his points are worth consideration. And let's see here...you accused him of "pathetically warped logic", yet in your post, you've committed at least three informal fallacies of reasoning, the first two being a couple of ad hominems, and then my favorite, the ad Hitlerum at the end. (Yea, bullying is REALLY comparable to Nazi ideology!) Not to mention your numerous strawman arguments prior to this.

But, it's clear that logic has been thrown out the window, because you are having an incredibly emotional response. I'm guessing that you weren't much for competitive sports, or maybe even competitive anything while growing up, and that you yourself were probably bullied. Hence the emotional attachment to such a charged issue. And maybe your kids are following you in your footsteps, or you still get bossed around at work, etc., and it pisses you off.

All of this is beside the point. Bullying need not be criminalized, because it essentially amounts to right to free speech. Of course if an assault or battery or other actual crime takes place, that can be dealt with by the authorities. Standing up to bullies isn't social darwinism or "weak vs. strong", it's simply a character-building exercise that everyone must go through at some point. At the end of the day, kids get over it.

wmwcjr

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 12:36 am
Ha, ha! In case you haven't already noticed, I've just put you two jackasses on "Ignore." Actually, I put you sorry two characters on "Ignore" as soon as I submitted my post above. So, fume all you want, you jerks! And don't bother leaving me any PMs. I'll just avert my eyes. Laughing
Pangloss

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 12:52 am
This basically proves my assumption that this poster was bullied in the past, failed to accept the situation and stand up for himself, and now is unable to adapt to any type of adult social confrontation or competitive environment. See, that's why you let your kids find confidence in themselves; whatever doesn't kill them makes them stronger.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 01:31 am
@Pangloss,
Quote:
See, that's why you let your kids find confidence in themselves; whatever doesn't kill them makes them stronger.
true, which is why as parents we make make sure that our kids don't get into any trouble they cant handle, or at least if they do they know who to call, we dont protect them from all trouble.......if we are smart about parenting.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 02:00 am
Still not reading you guys. Laughing

Let me repeat: The kid on the bus was minding his own business, and he didn't even have any awareness of what was going on behind him. (Not exactly in a position to defend himself, was he?) Judging from the fact that the can SMASHED the bus window -- if he hadn't just happened to move his head out of the way of the can's trajectory, he would have been knocked unconscious. In other words, he WOULD HAVE BECOME A VICTIM OF PHYSICAL ASSAULT. Can't you see that? How blind are you? That's a CRIME, you idiots! Yet NEITHER of you express any outrage over the utter cowardice and criminality of the bully, who would have committed the crime of physical assault. That's because you love bullies and undoubtedly were bullies yourselves when you were kids. You reveal yourselves as pathetic losers.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 03:24 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
I honor the high-school football player for being a decent, noble human being
and thumb my nose at the social Darwinism of all those who condone the bullying of children.
I am confident in this case the victim did not learn a thing.
What did u want him to learn ?
(Will u be specific, if u don t mind?)

David
roger

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 03:49 am
@wmwcjr,
You're joking, of course. You are really sitting around, directing comments to people you have on ignore?
wmwcjr

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 03:59 am
@roger,
Sure I do, because I know that they're reading my comments. Laughing

Greetings. I've read some of your posts. You're a nice guy. I have no quarrel with you.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 08:19 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
that it is a bad idea to let people push him around, and that HE can do something to stop it.
Pangloss

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:42 am
@wmwcjr,
Still going on some bleeding-heart rant about an alleged bullying incident that you read about on an internet forum...as if the story is reliable, or any facts have been verified. Once again, this is an obvious "victim" mentality, the result of being too sheltered early on in life.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 11:52 am
@Pangloss,
Quote:
Once again, this is an obvious "victim" mentality, the result of being too sheltered early on in life
Many times this is not the reason.....people often are victims because in this day and age being a victim works, it tends to get one what they want with little to no work, and even if by all justice they should not have it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 12:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
that it is a bad idea to let people push him around,

and that HE can do something to stop it.
Do what ?
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 12:04 pm
There's yet another remake of the movie Karate Kid, just out or coming. You want to know how to turn a victim into an upstanding citizen who can take care of himself against any bully? Karate Kid: Defend yourself 101, for any kid who discovers there's such a thing as a "bully." You don't need a God, or Superman, just a new way of thinking.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 12:14 pm

I am thrilled by the fact that I don 't have any children, but if I did,
I 'd consider myself to be morally bound to prepare him for self defense, if he is willing to accept it.

I have not considered the issue in depth,
but classes in the Martial Arts, (Karate, or Kung Fu maybe) seem apt.

There is also the possibility of his suing the offenders,
depending on how bad their misconduct was.

I don 't know much about this because I was never bullied,
and so far as I can remember, I was never a witness to that,
except when parents were bullying their children, which is a unique situation.

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 12:22 pm
@Pemerson,
Quote:
You don't need a God, or Superman, just a new way of thinking.
Bullies pick on the weak, one does not need to be very strong of will and body to convince a bully to move on to a better victim.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 12:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Bullies pick on the weak, one does not need to be very strong of will and body
to convince a bully to move on to a better victim.
Interestingly, that principle applies to home defense. Burglars r bullies, in a predatory sense.

There are so many soft, ez targets that having your house
more defensively set forth is enuf to deflect intrusion.

David
0 Replies