Grave of headless Vikings discovered in England

JTT

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 05:24 pm
@Mame,
What am I talking about? I'm talking about you raising "all the threads" in the particular thread where it's pertinent. For this thread, deal with the one issue.

I said long ago that people most definitely should be allowed to say whatever the hell they want but they had better be prepared to hold forth a bit more than uninformed opinion.

Merry was a study in contradiction, but that seems to have escaped you.

Quote:
People should be able to say whatever they believe/want without being attacked.

I'm not at all surprised to hear that from you. And it's duly noted just how selective you are on this issue.

Quote:
You're not the be-all and end-all of English grammar, spelling, Vikings,

No, on "viking", it's abundantly clear that Setanta and Merry are spot on. On grammar, I'll defer to you, Mame.

Mame

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 05:47 pm
@JTT,
First of all, I will say what I want in whatever thread I want - here, I was referring to your general attitude all over the threads, not just this particular one. I just picked this thread to say it in.

Who cares if someone is a study in contradiction? Are you the consistency police? What does it matter to you? As long as you're comfortable that you're consistent, what else matters?

Regardless of what your opinion might be, there is a polite way of saying things which you seem not to have learned. Could you not engage them without resorting to name-calling, etc? Can you not just debate? Does it have to be an attack? Just ask for clarity on their point(s).

I'm sure I'm speaking on deaf ears, so I'll sign out.
JTT

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 05:52 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
I've never been able to make JTT understand that most of the time my arguments with him/her have nothing to do with whether or not I agree with him/her. I frequently do agree and still find the attitude so incredibly abrasive and off-putting it's a chore to remain civil. I frequently fail at this chore.

"Poor poor pitiful me", says Merry.

If you were simply honest enough to address pointed questions, this would never happen, Merry. You come out with some cockamamie statements and when queried on them you head off for tangents unknown.

----------------------------
jtt: It doesn't matter what the origin of a word is

Merry Andrew: What a classic JTT bullshit statement! Priceless.

------------------------------

Why not explain and show how this is "a classic JTT bullshit statement"?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 09:28 am
@Merry Andrew,
So, this JTT person is someone with a history of being nasty? I am having a hard time seeing his/her motivation, unless he/she uses this forum as a place to vent general anger and aggression and that outpourings here have nothing to do with us or what we say.
JTT

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:15 am
@plainoldme,
Please give your head a shake, POM. You're overreacting and attempting an analysis far beyond the knowledge available to you.

Odd that all those that are pointing fingers are the same those who were corrected. You went from erroneous statement to shoot the messenger pretty damn fast.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 10:41 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

So, this JTT person is someone with a history of being nasty? I am having a hard time seeing his/her motivation, unless he/she uses this forum as a place to vent general anger and aggression and that outpourings here have nothing to do with us or what we say.

I believe you hit the nail squarely on the head, POM. JTT has nothing of value or interest to contribute. This person is a very special kind of troll who simply likes to vent uncontrolably on any thread with which he/she disagrees. Interesting syndrome.
JTT

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 12:41 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry: Right you are, Set. I hesitated before upper-casing 'viking' in the headline. But concession to accepted useage won out.

Merry: In other words, you're wrong but I'll allow that you're right, Setanta.

=======================

jtt: Merry Merry, that's likely to get you booted out of your prescriptivist club.

I'm puzzled. How might Setanta be "right"?

No rancor.

======================

Merry:
1. I wasn't aware of being a member of any such "prescriptivist" club.

2. Setanta is correct in stating that the word 'viking' is properly not a noun but a verb. These people didn't call themselves Vikings. They were Scandinavian farmers of old who, in their spare time, went a-viking to supplement their income by either raiding or trading.

Merry: I'm not a prescriptivist but here's my prescription as regards this issue.

=======================

jtt: How could you even consider writing 2 after you wrote 1, Merry?

For a moment I thought you had an actual reason for suggesting that Setanta was "right".

Still no rancor, though certainly a large measure of surprise, bordering on shock.

======================

jtt: [to plainoldme]

It doesn't matter what the origin of a word is

===========================

Merry Andrew: What a classic JTT bullshit statement! Priceless.

No explanation at all from Merry, even to his latest posting. And after this, Merry old Andrew tries to pull that "Oh I have such a hard time not retaliating, Mame, I must try to be a better person".

So, in your second posting, Merry, you tell Setanta he's right, then you tell him he's wrong then when asked to clear up the confusion, you cut and run.

And what's worst of all, you make out like you're the poor little put upon one. Been taking lessons from the grand master, Setanta?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:07 pm
Damn, I came into the thread because I am interested in the Viking era and wanted to hear what was going on, only to find the thread ruined. Ah well.

While at school, I heard about some of the students doing a school project - building a Viking ship (very small) and sailing it on the River Liffey in Dublin (disgusting river). I volunteered since I was learning about the Vikings at that time too and it caught my attention and interest. It was a huge event for us kids since we spent so much time on detail and getting it just so. Plus we had a lot of extra things to do, like get permission to sail up the Liffey. Problem was, we never thought to measure the height of the bridges along the Liffey and we got the effing thing stuck by the ha'penny Bridge. We had to break the thing apart to get it unstuck and since it was really not of good construction (we really didn't know what we were doing), it could not withstand the water damage. Not really sea (or river) worthy. I was heartbroken.

We never even got it in the paper our journey was so short and sweet. Ah well. At least I paid attention at school for a short period of time.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:12 pm
@Heeven,
you obviously dint go to school with any truck driver's kids.

they always know how tall the bridges are.

I bet vikings do, too...
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:54 pm
@Heeven,
Thank you, Heeven, for your effort to bring this sorry thread back on track.
Heeven

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:55 pm
@Rockhead,
I'm a stoopah irriot!
Rockhead

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:59 pm
@Heeven,
wooda made a neat picture, though.

stuck to the bridge with all you vikings clawing at it.

too bad...
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:12 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Absolutely fascinating
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1257333/Decapitated-Viking-skeletons-Weymouth-ditch.html

It is amazing what they can tell from teeth. Breaking open the teeth and separating out the enamel to test the isotopes and find out what region the drinking water of the body came from. I've often wondered how scientists do what they do. They must have enormous job satisfaction when they get their teeth into a project (forgive the pun) and figure out the puzzles. Sometimes I wish I had a job like that, but I am too impatient to be able to stick to it.

I am completely gobsmacked that the bones and skulls have remained undiscovered for so long and are seemingly in such good condition for investigation.
Heeven

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:15 pm
Look at that! Isn't that beautiful?
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/03/12/article-1257333-08AC9753000005DC-892_468x267_popup.jpg
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:49 pm
These are amazing pictures. I would love to be at the site and I have no idea why. It's not like I'm into archeology or anything but for some reason I am quite taken with this news story.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dorsetforyou/sets/72157619829031047/
saab

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 03:48 pm
@Heeven,
Would have loved to see that!!!
Was in Dublin a few months ago and my sights concentrated on everything I thought had to do with the Vikings. Enjoyed Dublin very much.

http://www.dublinia.ie/
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 03:55 pm
@Heeven,
Amazing stuff, Heeven. Thnx for posting that.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 05:31 pm
The pictures help . . . 51 men is quite a lot . . . seeing the pile of skeletons is another thing.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 07:48 am
@Heeven,
Quote:
Absolutely fascinating

I agree ..its almost as though they had a camera and mic and said, excuse me sir, can you say a few words for our viewers at home ? Why certainly...I am a Viking, that is my head over there, I am in my early 20's, I was born in....yadda yadda ...

Its a pleasure to meet you heeven. In another thread I was telling about how I got raped by an emu and they suggested it was you. I dont think it was...
Heeven

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 07:55 am
@saab,
saab, how wonderful. I have not been inside an exhibition in Ireland or revisted any of those historical sites in a very long time. Maybe on my next trip I should drag my family to one of these.

I think the fact that I had a great teacher at school during the time I was learning about the Vikings, Medieval times and the Egyptians and she didn't just teach or talk about it but brought us to places of interest in Dublin and environs and had us actively participate, that my attention was captured.

Sometimes, when a teacher is truly meant to be a teacher, they can capture the imagination and attention of a child and incite the flame of interest. They have been few and far between but I am pleased to have have a few of these teachers in my lifetime.

I look at these pictures and the old excitement comes back again. Maybe it's time to plan something special this year on my visit home.