Grave of headless Vikings discovered in England

Heeven

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 08:00 am
@Ionus,
Ionus, chances are good I did molest you - I have a habit of imbibing a little too much in the Grey Goose (not a euphamism for another sexual encounter!) and I will shag anything! Not that you are just anything. I am sure you are a delightful sensual creature. It's just that I get randy and well, watch out!
Ionus

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 08:06 am
@Heeven,
You have made me a very happy man! As the dog says in "UP",
"I just met you and I wuv you ! " Very Happy
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 08:09 am
Sorry Andrew, I've dragged your thread off course again. It's that sexy bstd Ionus' fault! If he wears a Viking helmet, God help me!
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 09:57 am
@Heeven,
Here is where the Vikings built a fort. Now it is Dublin Castle

http://www.dublincastle.ie/home_flash.html

Christ Curch Cathedral
on the same spot the Vikings built their first church in Dublin.
I was not very impressed by the church itself - rather reformed looking inside.
http://cccdub.ie/

As a result of the excavations at High Street, Wood Quay and in the Temple Bar area we have a good idea how Viking Age Dublin would have looked. The settlement was situated on higher ground beside where the river Poddle entered the Liffey. The town was surrounded by an embankment of earth, gravel and mud which was topped by a post-and-wattle palisade. This was replaced by a stone wall before the end of the Viking Age.

The streets of the town were surfaced with gravel and stones, wattle mats or split logs. Plots and yards were divided from each other by low post-and-wattle fences. The lines of these plots changed little over the years implying respect for property and continuity. The overall impression of the town is that it was an ordered place whose layout and defence were overseen and regulated.
JTT

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 10:24 am
@Mame,
Quote:
First of all, I will say what I want in whatever thread I want - here, I was referring to your general attitude all over the threads, not just this particular one. I just picked this thread to say it in.

I'm not gonna tell you you're a yenta in all the threads. I'll tell you you're a yenta in the pertinent threads.

Just as you reserve the right to speak your mind where and when you wish, [something I heartily support] so do I. You could, if you so chose, take the chickenshit Setanta route and not read my postings.

Quote:
Who cares if someone is a study in contradiction? Are you the consistency police? What does it matter to you? As long as you're comfortable that you're consistent, what else matters?

I care because I hate to see canards advanced on language. You seemed to care a great deal when you thought you had the grammar of English all sussed out. Now that you've found out that much of what you were told was a bunch of old wives tales, well not so much.

Quote:
Regardless of what your opinion might be, there is a polite way of saying things which you seem not to have learned. Could you not engage them without resorting to name-calling, etc? Can you not just debate? Does it have to be an attack? Just ask for clarity on their point(s).

Speaking of deaf ears, I've mentioned more than once that you should go back and read the first page. I even posted the comments. But that just won't work for you given your preconceived notions.

0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 10:28 am
@saab,
I think CCC has been rennovated so many times that it is difficult to keep the integrity, but I do think it is still impressive from the outside. It is one of the big tourist attractions in Dublin.

I had a friend who worked in Dublin Castle and I visited her often. I guess as Dubliners all these things became mundane since we saw it or passed by it every day. It's not until you think of the history, what's behind it, the work that went into it, what it was used for before, that is makes you wonder.

I do like the old age look, the medieval throw-back and even though people modernize and update, I still like some character in neighborhoods. The one thing I will always detest though, is cobblestones. Can't stand the buggers~!

If you ever go back to Ireland, visit outside of Dublin. Dublin is very citified. There are some real gems outside of Dublin. I once rented a car and took off (with three girlfriends) and drove around Ireland. We had no set plans, just a road map of Ireland, and we stopped where the fancy took us. It was fabulous!
saab

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 10:58 am
@Heeven,
I have been to Ireland before and that was a combination of Dublin and surroundings - all which I liked very much.
I am more atrracted to the British Islands than to southern Europe as a rule.
Ionus

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 04:32 pm
@saab,
Is this because of the cold or the plunder ? Perhaps the raping and burning ? Very Happy
saab

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 07:01 pm
@Ionus,
The cold and the burning - of Christmas candles in December.
Ionus

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 09:29 pm
@saab,
Oh how the mighty viking has fallen - Christmas Candles ? I have read the sagas and think the vikings have the look of death about them. If it is people like you who killed them off, will you be paying blood money ?
saab

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 02:25 am
@Ionus,
You are all wrong - I am a Swede with Danish and Norwegiean relatives. That is real a Viking decendent isn´t it.

McTag

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 02:29 am

Interesting information here, and there is video film too if you google for it.

Authentic replica longship voyage from Denmark to Dublin, and back again.

http://www.vikingtoday.com/ships/denmark/seastallion-from-glendalough.htm
Ionus

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 02:36 am
@McTag,
Thats not about Vikings...THIS is about Vikings.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1fJR9377qw&NR=1
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 02:54 am
The Old Norse Gods have returned and there are Danes now who have started a religious community in Denmark. The Forn Sidr is the one which has been officially approved. The believers in the old Norse Gods have now there own cemetary in Odense.

Forn Siðr - the Asa and Vane faith religious community in Denmark

Forn Siðr - Asa and Vane faith religious community in Denmark is just that, a religious community.

Our purpose is the worship of the old Nordic Powers [Gods,"Regin"], and to create contact between people who wish to do so. We will also work to advance and spread knowledge of the old Nordic religion and improve knowledge of our old Nordic cultural heritage.

Forn Siðr has been officially approved as a religious community in Denmark, by the Danish ministry of religious affairs, since the 6th of November 2003.

We wish to make it clear that Nazi activity, or misuse of pagan symbols for Nazi purposes IS NOT compatible with membership of Forn Siðr.

On this the English language part of the web site we would however draw you attention to the fact that Forn Siðr is a Danish organisation, in Denmark, and as such, all activities, and internal communication take place in Danish.
Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 06:01 am
@saab,
Anyone suggesting that your ancestors can't have been Vikings because your ancestors were Christian is simply displaying ignorance. Olaf Tryggvason was a notorious Viking, and yet he is also the man who forced conversion to Christianity on what we call Norway, and on Iceland, and attempted to force it on Greenland through the agency of Leif Eriksson.

It is also hilarious to see someone talk about having read the sagas, and complaining about the Christians. In the era when the Norge, the Goths, the Danes and the Icelanders were being converted to Christianity, the sagas were oral traditions. They only got written down later because Christians transcribed them.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 06:06 am
Setanta's post brought to mind the lovely and romantic Icelandic movie, The Shadow of the Raven. See if you can find it.
High Seas

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 06:10 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

The Old Norse Gods have returned and there are Danes now who have started a religious community in Denmark. The Forn Sidr is the one which has been officially approved. The believers in the old Norse Gods have now there own cemetary in Odense....

In the UK there are Druids, Greece has its own ancient gods revival, here in the US we have assorted neo-pagans, Wiccans and related sorcery-related religions, so it's not surprising the old Norse gods would be remembered in Scandinavia. I'm not sure I follow the linkage between the old gods and the Nazi party you mention, though.
Ionus

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 06:12 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Anyone suggesting that your ancestors can't have been Vikings
In your mind there are no end of suggestions. I suggest you take your medication before posting, the better to have as clear a mind as you can get.

You are ridiculous to the point where I think you must be joking. Even a fool can see that if the sagas occurred during a certain time (as you admitted ) this has nothing to do with when they were written. It is hilarious to the point of tears that you think I was complaining about Christians. Perhaps you should have an entire day between posts to rest as is appropriate for your age.

Clearly you dont have the intelligence to know what I was hinting at. This is so typical of the dull and uneducated. Reading google does not make you a historian, no matter how desperate your need for attention. I will explain it to you : if you had of read the sagas...and it is very clear you havent...you would have recognised the reference to "they had the look of death upon them" but you made a fool of yourself by thinking it was a comment on Christianity. Didnt google come up with anything ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 06:13 am
@McTag,
The viking long ships were hopeless in deep waters, and were raiders which were rarely risked in the North Sea or the Atlantic. The knorrir were the great trading ships, and therefore, simply by default, the ships of exploration. The Gokstad ship which was dug up in Norway in the 1880s was a sort of cross between a knorr and a long ship. A replica was built, and was sailed to the "New World," following the same route as that taken by Columbus--and beat his time by quite a bit. It was then sailed to Chicago for the 1893 Columbian Exposition.

The Oseberg ship is also very interesting. It was also a burial mound ship, and is of a type known as a karv, which is a smaller version of the knorr. It was dug up in the first decade of the 20th century. A replica of this ship was also made, and sailed from Norway (Stavanger?) in the 1930s and made landfall on Newfoundland in just 30 days--a rate of sailing which would be considered respectable by the captains of schooners which regularly sailed from Newfoundland to Ireland and England to trade in those days.

I've got some comments from Farley Mowat's Westviking on those two ships, and if i get the time, and develop the inclination, i'll copy them to this thread.
Ionus

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 06:16 am
@High Seas,
Some influential nazi party members were heavily into the occult, norse religion (amongst other non-christian religions) and had a shockingly bad knowledge of history which only added fuel to their imagination. A bit like **** for brains really.