Grave of headless Vikings discovered in England

Ionus

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 05:31 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
People who are sufficiently well informed do not mistake a knorr for a longship. Knorrs are trading vessels, they are beamy and bluff bowed. They might have been decorated at the prow and stern, but they could hardly have been decorated like a dragon ship.
People who are sufficiently arrogant do not take information from others. The knorr and karvi held a length to width ratio of about 4.5:1, while most longships were of 7:1. However, this is within the same seafaring principles as a longship though it is certainly down the beamier end of the scale. To say only warships were longships is ignorance. Decoration has nothing to do with seafaring properties but is typical of what attracts an uneducated person to comment.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 05:32 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You may be assured that i don't want your respect.
Thank God for that. It would all backfire if a fool thought I was right.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 05:41 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
That in no way alters the fact that the Indians were the ones who discovered the American continent and not the Vikings or Columbus.
It may yet turn out that europeans got there before the indians. An argument can be put forward to say that when the ice got as far as southern france some europeans walked across to america. As Indian remains are reburied as they are found, the european skeletons are now rotting in the ground with only one group able to examine them before the courts handed them over to the Indians.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 05:44 pm
@Setanta,
Thank you so much - the only point I was trying to make was that Vikings had settlements on the American continent for centuries before Columbus sailed off to the "East Indies". Sorry that I confused one Canadian province with another - wrote Nova Scotia instead of Newfoundland, or the other way around - Canada is so big! At least I did get the state of Maine right, and that's definitely where the Viking coin was found. Thank you again, as well as everyone else who posted so much interesting info here.
JTT

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 08:50 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
Sorry that I confused one Canadian province with another - wrote Nova Scotia instead of Newfoundland, or the other way around - Canada is so big!

And there's a whole ten of 'em to boot. How do you expect a brainless gorm like me to remember ten provinces?
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 02:39 am
@Setanta,
saab

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 05:40 am
@Setanta,
The Norse (calling themselves Norge, and whom we would call Norwegians)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The name Norge came in later and is a country not a person. During the time of the Vikings the name Norge was Nordweg which means northbound and was used by people living south of what we today call Norge.
The word nordman has since the middle ages been used in three different meanings.
1. A person living in an area north of where the speaking person lived
2. A nordic Viking in the form of nordman mostly regarding the colonies in places like Danelagen in England and in Normandie
3. A person from Norway /Nordweg as a habitant with the assumption that someone lives within a definable area further north.

The Norwegian people was at that time in Nordic language called norðmen and their area norðmannaland or Norðweg.
Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 06:42 am
@saab,
Sure, Bubba . . . whatever you want . . . it doesn't change that Tryggvason died within a year of sending Leif off on his proselytizing mission, which was doomed because of the loss of prestige and patronage. That was the point of the post, not a comprehensive statement of exactly where and how Olaf died. Tell me again about the dragon ships, 'k?
Ionus

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 06:45 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Sure, Bubba . . . whatever you want . .
You cant be wrong can you ? Pray for personality transplants, and in the meantime keep hanging out with dogs. They have lower standards.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 06:46 am
@saab,
You will have to excuse **** for brains....he is here to be worshipped and he takes failure very hard.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 10:20 am
@Setanta,
Sure, Bubba . . . whatever you want ... it doesn't change the fact that i was right about some meaningless, obscure fact that i'm now going to flog to death in order to divert attention from my myriad meaningless comments.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 04:07 pm

It's distressing the amount of opprobrium JTT attracts to himself on this and many other threads.

Can this be a coincidence?

It would appear not.

I'm sorry.
JTT

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 04:27 pm
@saab,
Quote:

Wow! My offering was a complete shot in the dark. I don't think I'd ever even heard that guy's name before.

I kinda like this history stuff. You can make up pretty much anything you want to impress folks and no one's the wiser. If you get called out you just go to another culture's interpretation of history.
Ionus

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 06:13 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
It's distressing the amount of opprobrium JTT attracts
yes it is, but where lies the origin ?
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 11:09 pm
@JTT,
I did not go to another culture´s interpretation of history. I stuck to my own culture, which happens to be Scandinavia.
roger

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 11:55 pm
@saab,
That seems adequate.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 11:34 am
@saab,
I wasn't talking about you in my post, nor what you did, Saab, not in the least.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 12:08 pm
Snorri Sturlusson, writing in the early 13th century confirms the account of Olaf leaping to his death in the sea--although he does not specify where that occurred. This can be found in his collection the Heimskringla. Theorodircus claims ti took place near an island called Svölder, and it lies near Slavia.Adam of Bremen places the battle in Oresund. Two sources, including the Historia Norwegie place it off Zealand. One Danish source places it near the coast of Schleswig-Holstein. All of them agree that Olaf leapt into the sea. Arguing that an island or a strait in the Kattegat or the Skagerrak is therefore not in the Baltic is an exercise in nitpicking. If one insists that such locations are not in the Baltic, does that one insist that the Kattegat or Skagerrak are part of the North Sea? Whichever one chooses, it's hardly germane to what i was posting.

You, Saab, had mentioned that Leif returned to Greenland with a priest in tow. My post was a response to that, expanding on it, and not attempting to contradict you on any particular. I just noted that Leif attempted to use his influence as a liege-man of Olaf in his proselytizing effort, which was undermined when it was learned that Olaf was dead--without regard to precisely where he died.

I find your response ironic in view of the snotty remark you made to me about being arrogant in responding to the posts of others. Sauce for the goose makes sauce for the gander, so i guess it's safe to assume that by your own standard, you were being arrogant, too. To avoid such a charge, perhaps you could name your sources, as i have named mine. As for a "too precise" response, i'd put your claim about Leif going "to America" in a dragon ship in the same category.

Finally, when talking about the Norwegians, i consider it a bit much for you, as a Swede, to claim authority, as though all Danes, Norwegians and Swedes have exactly the same idea of the histories of three separate nations.
saab

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 12:46 pm
@Setanta,
Finally, when talking about the Norwegians, i consider it a bit much for you, as a Swede, to claim authority, as though all Danes, Norwegians and Swedes have exactly the same idea of the histories of three separate nations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a Swede, who can speak, read and write Swedish and Danish as well as read and understand spoken Norwegian both nynorsk and bokmål I have looked at sources in all four mentioned languages before writing an answer.
So I think I can claim some authority even though the histories are told differently.
As a Swede I think I can claim just as much authority as you as an American
Afterall I sit a bit closer to everything than you do.
I am good enough in Swedish and Danish to teach both languages.

I have been reading different sources in all four languages and I cannot anymore remember where and when. Not only over internet but in history books.

The location of the battle cannot be identified with any certainty.
There are two types of information about the battled
Snorre Snorre Sturlassons Heimskringla, Fagrskinna and Odd Munks Olafssaga, and Adams av Bremen cronicle Gesta Hammaburgensis ecclesiae pontificum, Historia Norwegiae and Ágrip af Nóregs konunga sogum.
Norwegiae och Ágrip af Nóregs konunga sogum.
These two groups have conflicting ideas about the background of the battle and where it happened
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 01:25 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:
Adams av Bremen cronicle Gesta Hammaburgensis ecclesiae pontificum,

Adam von Bremen's (Adam Bremnensis) remarks about Olav's death can be read here
0 Replies