Spring Is Coming! Fantasy Baseball Is Back On A2K For 2010!

JPB

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 08:55 am
@fbaezer,
18-0 through Tuesday Shocked Mr. Green Very Happy Cool

I probably just jinxed us...
Rockhead

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 10:13 am
@JPB,
argh...

Timmy was bad last night. so...

he took it out on Matt Kemp.

(from yahoo)
"In his final inning, he brushed back CF Matt Kemp, then drilled him with a pitch. It prompted a warning to both benches and set off a string of bad blood -- CF Aaron Rowand was plunked by a retaliating LHP Clayton Kershaw, who was ejected, along with manager Joe Torre."

and the gents won the game in the end.

hmmmmm.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 07:36 am
On Tuesday, Jonathan Broxton was involved in an interesting set of meetings on the mound with Don Mattingly, and was forced to leave the game, replaced by George Sherrill, and the Dodgers promptly lost.

Now the interesting thing from a Fantasy standpoint is on my stats for the week, Broxton was both charged with the "loss" and credited with a "hold" -- which is technically impossible, I believe. He entered the game in a "save" situation, but was not charged with a blown save by the kind folks over at Yahoo.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:25 am
@Ticomaya,

it's apparently one of those grey areas in the rule book...
Quote:
When James Loney called out to Mattingly and he returned to the mound after stepping off it a few feet -- despite plate umpire and Minor League callup Adrian Johnson's warning "No, no, no" -- San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy correctly protested that it was a second trip to the mound.

Because Mattingly disobeyed the umpire's warning, the rule calls for Mattingly to be ejected and for Jonathan Broxton to face the next batter, then be removed. MLB has told the umpires this interpretation was the correct one.

Instead, the umpires ruled that Broxton had to be removed immediately. Mattingly brought in George Sherrill, who didn't have a chance to warm up in the bullpen.

Crew chief Tim McClelland did not agree with MLB's interpretation.

"I am not of the opinion [that's the way the rule should have been applied]," McClelland said. "The league is of that opinion. It's a difference of opinion in a situation that's not covered."
(mlb.com)
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 12:43 pm
@Region Philbis,
I guess you can get a Hold and a Loss in the same game ... it just doesn't seem right. The Hold stat is a bit of an oddity. (One reason I usually don't chase them.)
fbaezer

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 02:19 pm
@Ticomaya,
You get a hold if you receive the game in a save situation, make at least one out, and leave the game with your team ahead.
If so, you can lose the game with the runners you left as a heritage.
But you can't have a hold and a blown save at the same time.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 03:12 pm
@fbaezer,

holds are not included in the box scores of the bahstin globe or the noo yawk times.
that makes me think it is not an official MLB stat...
fbaezer

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 06:56 pm
@Region Philbis,
It is:

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/league_leaders.jsp?statType=2&timeFrame=1&sortByStat=HLD&baseballScope=mlb&timeSubFrame=2010
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 07:58 pm
The 2 SP's for my opponent this week combined tonight for 15 innings, a win, a complete game, a shutout, 15 strikeouts, and stellar ERA and WHIP numbers. But, due to inattention, both SP's were left on the bench.
fbaezer

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:06 pm
@realjohnboy,
Now, doesn't that really piss you off?
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:25 pm
@fbaezer,
It does, Pancho. You know full well that over the last half dozen years, in baseball and football, I have expended a lot of effort herding kittens in getting things organized. You have done the same in the World Cup and the Olympics.
Actually, pissing me off is too strong a way to phrase it. Let's go with simple disappointment. At the start of the baseball season, when I was trolling for players, I made mention that it is a long, long, long season and participants should consider that.
It's no big deal in the grand scheme of things going on in the world: oil spills, the economy, Iraq and Afghanistan, drug wars in Mexico. No big deal.
No big deal at all.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 08:46 pm
@realjohnboy,
Sorry, all. I tried to delete that rather grumpy post.
Too late.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 10:20 pm
@realjohnboy,
s'ok.

if I recall correctly, he pulled the same trick last time the squirrels were in the a2k league..

Ida bet money that it recurred. oh well...

everyone just needs to understand how that team works, and make sure that it does not clog up the playoffs.
jespah

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 04:24 am
@Rockhead,
I cannot begin to count the number of times I have benched the wrong player, or dropped someone who turned out to be a star the minute he stopped eating the kibble.

In other news, I have 4 pitchers today and am considering tossing a forkball today m'self.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 05:33 am
@jespah,
here honey, use this... ................ http://www.stockphotopro.com/photo-thumbs-2/stockphotopro_418261VZG_no_title.jpg
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 07:19 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
But, due to inattention, both SP's were left on the bench.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9639/homersimpsondoh.jpg
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 07:19 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
In other news, I have 4 pitchers today ...

A pox on them all!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 10:30 am
@realjohnboy,
But, on the other hand, it can be a treat when you play an absentee manager.

Though I'm having a hard time with those Evil guys this week.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 08:23 am
I have a diabolical plan which, if Fbaezer and Rhyss cooperate, will put me in 2nd place, .001 ahead of Jaye/Rockhead.
JPB

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 09:02 am
@realjohnboy,
Wait...

what?

I don't think so!!!
0 Replies