MWal

Sat 4 Oct, 2014 01:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Happiness and satisfaction is proof of God, you might be contempt without a God, but my satisfaction calls on a God so there is one, because I am satisfied. Peace. My perception is not on a tangent. You just don't know, like it says in the bible. That's proof.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 4 Oct, 2014 01:10 pm
@MWal,
MWal wrote:

Happiness and satisfaction is proof of Hod, you might be contempt without a God, but my satisfaction calls on a God so there is one. Peace.

Happiness and satisfaction is not proof of anything except happiness and satisfaction.

Your reasoning is absurd.

But if that is what you need...go in peace.

If, however, you need to peddle it to other people, be prepared to catch lots of heat, because it does not rise to the level of snake oil.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 4 Oct, 2014 01:11 pm
@MWal,
MWal wrote:

Happiness and satisfaction is proof of Hod, you might be contempt without a God, but my satisfaction calls on a God so there is one, because I am satisfied. Peace.

And once again, I have to ask: Are you a native speaker of English?
MWal

Sat 4 Oct, 2014 01:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Deflect all you want, you know nothing! Get from here! Before you do harm. Get.
Frank Apisa

Sat 4 Oct, 2014 02:03 pm
@MWal,
MWal wrote:

Deflect all you want, you know nothing! Get from here! Before you do harm. Get.

Make sense!
edgarblythe

Sat 4 Oct, 2014 02:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That goes for both of you.
Frank Apisa

Sat 4 Oct, 2014 02:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

That goes for both of you.

I AM making sense, Edgar. And I am trying to be as polite about it as possible. I understand you disagree with me on some things...but that is the way things are.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 4 Oct, 2014 03:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
And there is something wrong with asking people for their guesses?????

Your blind guesses about Mano don't interest me. Why would mine be of interest to you? It's blind guess against blind guess anyway...

Quote:
It is not self-conradictory. I have not said Mano knows or does not know...just that if he does know, he could only know by being GOD. I have asked you repeatedly if you THINK he is GOD. So far, as usual, you have avoided that question like the plague.

No, I responded that I didn't know. And you, to the. Very. Same. Question responded likewise, so what is your problem?

Quote:
If you want to guess that the guy is GOD in an attempt to look less desperate and silly...you are free to do so.

Are you now saying that guessing Mano is a god is more 'silly' than guessing he is not?

If yes, we're making progress I think, in that you admit that some 'blind guesses' are perhaps less blind than others. And so perhaps this discussion is not totally futile (note the spelling).
cicerone imposter

Sat 4 Oct, 2014 03:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
My guess is better than your guess. Since reality is an unknown, even guesses are useless.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 4 Oct, 2014 07:15 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
And there is something wrong with asking people for their guesses?????

Your blind guesses about Mano don't interest me.

I am NOT making blind guesses about Mano.

And your guesses about Mano do interest me...which is why I asked.

It is not always about you, Olivier.

Quote:
Why would mine be of interest to you? It's blind guess against blind guess anyway...

I am NOT making guesses about Mano...I am just asking about your guesses.

I am NOT making guesses about Mano.

I am NOT making guesses about Mano.

Try to read what I am saying.

Quote:
Quote:
It is not self-conradictory. I have not said Mano knows or does not know...just that if he does know, he could only know by being GOD. I have asked you repeatedly if you THINK he is GOD. So far, as usual, you have avoided that question like the plague.

No, I responded that I didn't know.

And I am not asking whether you know or not. I am asking about what you think...what you guess...what you suppose.

I am asking about what you think...what you guess...what you suppose.

Quote:
And you, to the. Very. Same. Question responded likewise, so what is your problem?

Me??? Problem???

Quote:
Quote:
If you want to guess that the guy is GOD in an attempt to look less desperate and silly...you are free to do so.

Are you now saying that guessing Mano is a god is more 'silly' than guessing he is not?

Ummm...yeah, I am saying that guessing that Mano is not GOD is not as silly as guessing that he IS.

Yeah. If I were guessing that Mano is not GOD...I would consider that less silly than guessing that he is.

But of course, I am not guessing either way about Mano.

If you want to guess that Mano is GOD, however, no one is going to stop you.

Have a ball.

At least you have not put down your shovel.

Quote:
If yes, we're making progress I think, in that you admit that some 'blind guesses' are perhaps less blind than others. And so perhaps this discussion is not totally futile (note the spelling).

I have never said that all guesses are the same.

But if you want to think that a guess that REALITY contains a GOD...or that REALITY contains no gods...

...is equal to a guess that the 49ers will win the Super Bowl this season...

...fine with me.

If you think the former is just as informed as the latter...fine with me.

If you think the latter is not any blinder than the former...fine with me.

I love it when you are digging the hole, Olivier.

I love it.

That is why I cheer you on when you are.
InfraBlue

Sat 4 Oct, 2014 11:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Why would I remove all of the “belief” if that is what you were commenting on when you responded to Setanta in this post, and that post of yours, what with your reference to "belief," is what I’m responding to?

So I reiterate, what exactly precludes those beliefs about gods and reality that are based on experience from being discounted as blind guesses? You’re asserting that all beliefs about gods and reality are blind guesses, but you haven’t explained the reasoning behind your assertion.

I’ve already pointed out what you’ve written that is inconsistent, incoherent and offensive to reasoned argument. It starts here.
Frank Apisa

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 03:21 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Why would I remove all of the “belief” if that is what you were commenting on when you responded to Setanta in this post, and that post of yours, what with your reference to "belief," is what I’m responding to?

So I reiterate, what exactly precludes those beliefs about gods and reality that are based on experience from being discounted as blind guesses? You’re asserting that all beliefs about gods and reality are blind guesses, but you haven’t explained the reasoning behind your assertion.

I’ve already pointed out what you’ve written that is inconsistent, incoherent and offensive to reasoned argument. It starts here.

My arguments are not inconsistent, incoherent...and are not offensive to reasoned argument.

If you have to get into that kind of nonsense, please do it with someone else.

My point to Setanta was that "beliefs" about the existence or non-existence of gods in REALITY are blind guesses. "Beliefs" in who is going to win the World Series or Super Bowl are also guesses, but they are guesses that at least have a value of estimation or calculation involved.

If a person says, "There are no gods involved in the REALITY of existence"...that person is making a blind guess.

If a person says, "There IS a GOD involved in the REALITY of existence"...that person is making a blind guess.

If a person says, "The Seattle Seahawks will win the Super Bowl next February"...that person is making a guess, but most likely is making a guess based on a hell of a lot more information than either of the other two. It becomes an estimation or a calculation rather than a blind guess.

If you see that reasoning as inconsistent, incoherent, and offensive to reasoned argument...then there is something wrong with YOUR ability to understand reason and reasonable argument.
Setanta

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 03:25 am
Belief and guess are not cognate. To insist upon treating them as cognates is a word game, and a paltry one at that.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 04:07 am
Supposing that a person who says, "The reality is that there are no gods" or "The reality is that there is a GOD" is not guessing...no matter what word they use to disguise the fact that they are guessing...is an absurdity.

I prefer not to be absurd, even if some people will suggest that makes me a paltry word game player.

0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 04:25 am
As usual, you exercise your tunnel vision. You are only concerned with the issue of whether or not there are gods. Guess does not have the same or evern a similar definition to that of belief. Leaving aside the word game, you last responded to someone asking you if you exercise the same attitude toward fairies or elves by telling them not to be childish. This is how you came up with the guess BS in the first place. You were getting hammered about your consistently selective agnosticism, and you flew off the handle saying you "don't do belief," and you've been peddling your guess BS ever since. You also would like to continue to pretend that your agnostic position is morally and intellectually superior.

From 2003, here is the opening post in Portal Star's thread which he entitled "Atheism has the same logical flaws as religion":

Portal Star wrote:
I had this debate on another forum link removed by me, but would like to bring it here.

I intend to prove that agnostic is the only logical religious viewpoint.
I'll start out with definitions from dictionary.com, you can refer to these definitions for debate.

a·the·ist
One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

the·ism   
Belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in a personal God as creator and ruler of the world.

God
a. A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions.
b. The force, effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being.

2. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality.
3. An image of a supernatural being; an idol.
4. One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed: Money was their god.
5. A very handsome man.
6. A powerful ruler or despot.

ag·nos·tic

a. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
b. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.

2. One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.

adj.

1. Relating to or being an agnostic.
2. Doubtful or noncommittal: "Though I am agnostic on what terms to use, I have no doubt that human infants come with an enormous �'acquisitiveness' for discovering patterns" (William H. Calvin).

------------------------------------------------------------------------
[a-1 + Gnostic.]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ag·nosti·cal·ly adv.

Word History: An agnostic does not deny the existence of God and heaven but holds that one cannot know for certain whether or not they exist. The term agnostic was fittingly coined by the 19th-century British scientist Thomas H. Huxley, who believed that only material phenomena were objects of exact knowledge. He made up the word from the prefix a-, meaning "without, not," as in amoral, and the noun Gnostic. Gnostic is related to the Greek word gnsis, "knowledge," which was used by early Christian writers to mean "higher, esoteric knowledge of spiritual things" hence, Gnostic referred to those with such knowledge. In coining the term agnostic, Huxley was considering as "Gnostics" a group of his fellow intellectuals"ists," as he called themwho had eagerly embraced various doctrines or theories that explained the world to their satisfaction. Because he was a "man without a rag of a label to cover himself with," Huxley coined the term agnostic for himself, its first published use being in 1870.

You were all over that one. Note that Portal Star did not take into account the distinction between those who don't believe there is a god, and those who assert that there is no god; nor does he take into account the distinction between those who believe that there is a god, and those who assert that there is. This is your essential position, although you've gotten hammered over that one so often that i doubt that you;ll be honest about it now. This is the origin of that silliness of trying to equate belief nd guess. Yes, it is a paltry rhetorical position. Not the least of the reasons is embodied Portal Star's definition 1. a. for agnostic: One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God. (emphasis added). In your silly lexicon, we would be obliged to say "One who guesses that it is impossible to know whether there is a god." Witness your signature line with its self-congratulatory tone. You cannot tell the atheist that he or she cannot know there is no god unless you know that there is. You cannot tell the theist that he or she cannot know that there is a god unless you now that there is not. The only consistent thing about your posturing here, apart from its implicit conceits, is its incoherence.
Olivier5

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 05:56 am
@Frank Apisa,
Yes, I think we are making progress.

First, you are "asking about my guess" about Mano, but you don't want to make one yourself. I say let's trade my guess against yours. If you want to know what my guess is, you must have the courage to tell me what your own guess is, and admit that it is a guess. Deal?
0 Replies

Herald

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 06:44 am
@Setanta,
Portal Star wrote:
I intend to prove that agnostic is the only logical religious viewpoint.
     It should be 'the only logical viewpoint' not only of the religion, but of science as well.
     What is the difference between belief in the Big Bang, belief in the Evolution that is just happening ... and believe in an ID as creator of the things?
Portal Star wrote:
Belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in a personal God as creator and ruler of the world.
     Belief in an ID and the belief in the falseness of the Big Bang theory and the creation ... and ruling abilities of the Evolution 'theory', are very different things. If I believe in an ID this does not necessarily mean that ID is the creator and ruler of the Universe, for this ID may be an agent and representative of the actual creator and ruler ... not to speak that such 'creator and ruler' of the Universe may not exist at all, or the Creator might be one, and the Ruler might be another ... subject.
Portal Star wrote:
One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
     Why do you think that this impossibility of get-knowing does not apply also to the Big Bang and the Evolution 'theories'?
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 06:53 am
Portal Star has not posted here in almost nine years. I suspect you're not going to get a response to this example of your typically incoherent drivel.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 09:08 am
I have yet to understand why an agnostic gets away with trolling the thread for thousands of posts in his hysterical try to keep atheists from being atheists. With the same essential post, rebuttered, again and again, infinitum. It merely makes adults dig in their heels against the incessant battering.
InfraBlue

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 12:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Again, you’re asserting that all beliefs about gods and reality are blind guesses, but you haven’t explained the reasoning behind your assertion. I.e., why are they blind guesses if they too have a value of estimation and calculation?