FBM

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 02:15 pm
@InfraBlue,
Because there are no data that support the theistic conclusion. You estimate or calculate based on data. A volcano erupting is evidence for a volcano erupting, not for an invisible spirit in the sky punishing you for not wiping your ass in the prescribed manner. Wink
Frank Apisa

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 03:03 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

As usual, you exercise your tunnel vision. You are only concerned with the issue of whether or not there are gods. Guess does not have the same or evern a similar definition to that of belief. Leaving aside the word game, you last responded to someone asking you if you exercise the same attitude toward fairies or elves by telling them not to be childish. This is how you came up with the guess BS in the first place. You were getting hammered about your consistently selective agnosticism, and you flew off the handle saying you "don't do belief," and you've been peddling your guess BS ever since. You also would like to continue to pretend that your agnostic position is morally and intellectually superior.

I am not "exercising tunnel vision, but you are exercising your need to be rude.

I have not said that the definition of belief and guess are the same...much the opposite. I argue that they are not. That is why I object when someone describe a blind guess...as a belief.

Try to keep up, Setanta. I have been battling people who suggest that they are the same thing...right along.

Obviously I consider the agnostic position to be superior to the atheistic or theistic position...or I would not take that philosophical stance. What do you see so absurd about that?

And I never have ever taken a battering from you or anyone else.

Quote:
From 2003, here is the opening post in Portal Star's thread which he entitled "Atheism has the same logical flaws as religion":

Portal Star wrote:
I had this debate on another forum link removed by me, but would like to bring it here.

I intend to prove that agnostic is the only logical religious viewpoint.
I'll start out with definitions from dictionary.com, you can refer to these definitions for debate.

a·the·ist
One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

the·ism
Belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in a personal God as creator and ruler of the world.

God
a. A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions.
b. The force, effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being.

2. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality.
3. An image of a supernatural being; an idol.
4. One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed: Money was their god.
5. A very handsome man.
6. A powerful ruler or despot.

ag·nos·tic

a. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
b. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.

2. One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.

adj.

1. Relating to or being an agnostic.
2. Doubtful or noncommittal: "Though I am agnostic on what terms to use, I have no doubt that human infants come with an enormous �'acquisitiveness' for discovering patterns" (William H. Calvin).

------------------------------------------------------------------------
[a-1 + Gnostic.]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ag·nosti·cal·ly adv.

Word History: An agnostic does not deny the existence of God and heaven but holds that one cannot know for certain whether or not they exist. The term agnostic was fittingly coined by the 19th-century British scientist Thomas H. Huxley, who believed that only material phenomena were objects of exact knowledge. He made up the word from the prefix a-, meaning "without, not," as in amoral, and the noun Gnostic. Gnostic is related to the Greek word gnsis, "knowledge," which was used by early Christian writers to mean "higher, esoteric knowledge of spiritual things" hence, Gnostic referred to those with such knowledge. In coining the term agnostic, Huxley was considering as "Gnostics" a group of his fellow intellectuals"ists," as he called themwho had eagerly embraced various doctrines or theories that explained the world to their satisfaction. Because he was a "man without a rag of a label to cover himself with," Huxley coined the term agnostic for himself, its first published use being in 1870.

If that was his position...that was his position. Take it up with him...not with me.

Quote:
You were all over that one.

What does that mean?

Quote:
Note that Portal Star did not take into account the distinction between those who don't believe there is a god, and those who assert that there is no god; nor does he take into account the distinction between those who believe that there is a god, and those who assert that there is. This is your essential position, although you've gotten hammered over that one so often that i doubt that you;ll be honest about it now.

Nonsense. Quote what I have said that you take issue with and I will deal with that. If you are just going to paraphrase...you can deal with your own delusions.

Quote:
This is the origin of that silliness of trying to equate belief nd guess.

Earth calling Setanta...Earth calling Setanta.

My point right along has been that belief and guess ARE NOT THE SAME...and it is inappropriate to call a blind guess...a "belief."

Try to keep up, Setanta...really.

Quote:
Yes, it is a paltry rhetorical position. Not the least of the reasons is embodied Portal Star's definition 1. a. for agnostic: One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God. (emphasis added). In your silly lexicon, we would be obliged to say "One who guesses that it is impossible to know whether there is a god." Witness your signature line with its self-congratulatory tone. You cannot tell the atheist that he or she cannot know there is no god unless you know that there is. You cannot tell the theist that he or she cannot know that there is a god unless you now that there is not. The only consistent thing about your posturing here, apart from its implicit conceits, is its incoherence.

You talking about someone else's conceit is like Chris Christie talking about someone else being fat.

Yes, I think my agnotic position...as I have stated it often and consistently...is a superior position. I would hope you think your position is superior also...or you are a fool for calling it your own.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 03:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I have yet to understand why an agnostic gets away with trolling the thread for thousands of posts in his hysterical try to keep atheists from being atheists. With the same essential post, rebuttered, again and again, infinitum. It merely makes adults dig in their heels against the incessant battering.

If you are talking about me, Edgar, have never tried to keep atheists from being atheists. Be atheists...and I support you being atheists.

Sorry I am battering you guys. I'll try to be as nice as possible in my posts...unless one of you becomes nasty with me.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 03:11 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Again, you’re asserting that all beliefs about gods and reality are blind guesses, but you haven’t explained the reasoning behind your assertion. I.e., why are they blind guesses if they too have a value of estimation and calculation?

Actually...I DIDN'T.

I was very specific in what I said.

Quote what I actually said...and then question me on what I actually said...rather than making stuff up; pretending I said it; and then questioning me on the stuff you made up.
ossobuco

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 03:43 pm
By now, Frank, after at least ten years of your view, probably several more marking your same point, I don't care what you think.

I do care about why you need to scream stuff, since I don't like the screaming.
Apparently it isn't an eye problem on your part, you just like boldly screaming to somehow increase power to your point.

And you also need to copy whatever anyone says to answer, thus miles of repetitive text. Please, it's just a click to see.
edgarblythe

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 03:51 pm
@ossobuco,
The guy has had his run. Time for him to step back and contemplate his lack of success and move on.
Frank Apisa

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 04:54 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

By now, Frank, after at least ten years of your view, probably several more marking your same point, I don't care what you think.

I do care about why you need to scream stuff, since I don't like the screaming.
Apparently it isn't an eye problem on your part, you just like boldly screaming to somehow increase power to your point.

And you also need to copy whatever anyone says to answer, thus miles of repetitive text. Please, it's just a click to see.

I understand how you feel. Thank you for sharing.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 04:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The guy has had his run. Time for him to step back and contemplate his lack of success and move on.

Edgar, I have tried to be reasonable and courteous.

You said you wanted the difficulties between us to end...and I agree that it should. To that end, I have tried to be particularly reasonable and courteous to you.

I have a right to my views...and to express them.

You have a right to completely disregard them if you find them that objectionable. You have a right to put me on IGNORE if you want (I truly hope you do not.)

Frankly, compared to some of the things I see posted here in A2K I think my comments are way above average...both in the reasonable department and the courteous department.
ossobuco

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 05:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You are on ignore off and on. Primarily, I like you. Routinely, I can't stand your repetititvo.
Live with it.
edgarblythe

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 05:16 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't read his crap. I just resent his rudeness at trolling every thread he gets on and this one in particular.
Frank Apisa

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 05:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't read his crap. I just resent his rudeness at trolling every thread he gets on and this one in particular.

Thank you for keeping your agreement to get along with one another, Edgar.

I do not post crap...and I do not do trolling.

Olivier posted something that I considered appropriate to question. He posted a quote from someone telling everyone what happens after death.

I, APPROPRIATELY, asked if Olivier thought the guy actually knew what he was asserting as truth...or if he was just guessing.

That started all this.

What is wrong with asking that question?

If asked of a theist asserting that GOD has a Heaven and Hell planned for after death...I doubt all this huffing and puffing would be occurring.

The guy essentially said there was nothing after death...and I thought it appropriate to question Olivier, who had posted the quote, about it.

Why all the anger towards me for asking about it...and discussing the answers and garbage that came my way for daring to ask such a question?

You are reading this, Edgar.

Talk to me and tell me why you have all this anger and resentment toward me for asking a perfectly reasonable and appropriate question.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 05:42 pm
@ossobuco,
And I respectfully ask you the same questions I just asked of Edgar, Ossobuco.

cicerone imposter

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 06:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm not sure how truth can be determined by guesses and human inability to determine reality.

Can you?
ossobuco

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 06:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Oh, ****, not again.. ten years of revolving plastic balls.
Frank Apisa

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 06:14 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Oh, ****, not again..

Yes, again.

Let me ask you a question, if I may, Ossobuco.

We both used to speak often with Phoenix...who doesn't seem to be too active here anymore. But whenever Phoenix posted...she not only used BOLD...but added color to the BOLD.

Did you ever scold her...or accuse her of shouting at you because of that choice of hers?

It seem to bother you so very much when I choose to use the BOLD...even though I have assured you several times that I am not using it as a shouting mechanism.

You may have scolded her also...I'm just wondering.
0 Replies

hingehead

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 07:19 pm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1621736_763174350416998_1952949267550889237_n.png?oh=0f8017f7259c5364c30c01dc98a0ea4a&oe=54B76485&__gda__=1422367672_87f101c8a310d678e49dfa20d991d01f
FBM

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 07:33 pm
@hingehead,
Hard to find fault with someone who has a 3-legged dog.
ossobuco

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 08:07 pm
@FBM,
See this whole short thread -- I posted on it recently with a good article (to me), re Mujica.

http://able2know.org/topic/37815-1#post-5769166

Fbaezer tends to know what he is talking about..
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 08:39 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Again, you’re asserting that all beliefs about gods and reality are blind guesses, but you haven’t explained the reasoning behind your assertion. I.e., why are they blind guesses if they too have a value of estimation and calculation?

Actually...I DIDN'T.

I was very specific in what I said.

Quote what I actually said...and then question me on what I actually said...rather than making stuff up; pretending I said it; and then questioning me on the stuff you made up.

You said, "my point to Setanta was that 'beliefs' about the existence or non-existence of gods in REALITY are blind guesses."

You didn't make exceptions to this assertion as far as I can see.
InfraBlue

Sun 5 Oct, 2014 08:44 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Because there are no data that support the theistic conclusion. You estimate or calculate based on data. A volcano erupting is evidence for a volcano erupting, not for an invisible spirit in the sky punishing you for not wiping your ass in the prescribed manner. Wink

Well, the data is subjective in regard to the theistic--and atheistic, for that matter--conclusion. It's based on personal experience.