djjd62

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:28 pm
http://www.batmancomic.info/gen/20100205132830_4b6c7f6e5affe.jpg
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:36 pm
@mismi,
There's nothing wrong with living your honest beliefs. It's the hypocrites I object to. I guess, Mismi, you get to be the A2k go to for pre-martial virginity like Snood sometimes ends up having to speak for the all black men of the world and George is the latin tattoo guru. Expertise is what this site is all about.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:40 pm
@Green Witch,
Sexual abstinence takes away the rights of others. If all the women in the world are abstinent, it forces me to be abstinent as well, does it not?

(personally I think abstinence is the worst kind of perversion going against the very nature of things)
Green Witch

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:42 pm
@ebrown p,
But not all the women will be abstinent when given the choice. I think all people are entitled to the choice. I made my choice, mismi made hers. Do you think people should be forced to have sex by a certain age?
spendius

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:27 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
BillRM, Spendi, and Gunga all talking at each other marks the end of the original discussion. We might as well change the title of this thread to the The Tower of Babel.

How do you arrive at that GW?

I have 8 posts on here. 1 responding to you, 1 to George, 1 on Bundling, which an exciting alternative to abstinence, 3 to Cal, 1 to Gunga which was one line on La Reconquista, which had been mentioned and 1 to Bill which was short.

How do you fit that to your empty allegation which is more fitting to the Tower of Babel in the sense that it was babbling.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:55 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
How do you fit that to your empty allegation which is more fitting to the Tower of Babel in the sense that it was babbling.

not true...it was the a2k version of polite society calling out the riff-raff....it served its purpose.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 05:47 pm
@BillRM,
Where do you get the idea that this study suggests we should "write off" anyone?

There is a ridiculous notion that if kids aren't taught in school about birth control that they won't ever use it.

When I was in school there wasn't anything like sex education, and somehow I knew about condoms, birth control pills and even coitus interruptus, and so did everyone I knew.

What sort of sheltered life does a kid today need to live to not know anything about birth control? It's hard to imagine too many such kids are sexually active.

Green Witch

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 06:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
If you find those three sages of enlightenment speak to your point of view, by all means, be my guest and savor it. I admit Bill actually wrote in real sentences (for the most part) and Spendi sounds less drunk than usual, but it's all rather pointless. Gunga I just could not bear to remove from ignore so I barely glanced at this post before letting it fold back up. I was basing my comment on my long history on A2k seeing Gunga posts before the ignore button was added. Personally, Hawkeye, I think you would be very happy in their little focus group.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 06:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
There is a ridiculous notion that if kids aren't taught in school about birth control that they won't ever use it.

It is ridiculous.

They are activated Finn by the do-gooders so that do-gooding is a growth industry. The do-gooders make it sound safe despite it actually being very dangerous so that the more do-gooding there is the faster the growth of do-gooding and so much so that even amateurs get in on the act in order to talk about their own sex lives and it never enters their heads that if your sex life can be discussed in public it isn't very advanced.

Why has nobody defined sex yet?

spendius

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 06:45 pm
@spendius,
One can easily understand why some ladies would be scathing about abstinence. It leaves them competing on a level playing field which would be a serious calamity.

A young lady in England has just banked over £250 grand because the married England football ex-captain thought abstinence was silly and she hadn't even been required to train or break sweat.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 07:02 pm
@mismi,
Time for me to say that we have different experiences, mismi. I do respect your experience.

I'm very chary of the whole 'that's it' lesson plan.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 07:03 pm
@ebrown p,
Oh, noooooooooooo, I agree with ebrown.

Well, this will pass.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 07:04 pm
@Green Witch,
Followup - I hadn't read this yet - no, no, a thousand times no.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 07:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

So the society should hope that they should do research on the subject using Google?

Sorry the population of teenagers that is likely to need the information the most is also the same population that is far less likely to do such research or for that matter being able to do that research.

No all teenagers are from middle class backgrounds where the idea of having most of mankind knowledge at your command using you own personal computer is common.

Go to the local library and watch the people using the library computers to get the feel at how common computer skills happen to be for example.

Yes teenagers from the middle class will likely get the information however teenagers going to a school in the city of Detroit school system are far less likely and we would be writing them off.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 07:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I led a very sheltered life, which was blown apart my winds of change soon after. It is very easy for me to see preteens and teens totally closed off from information, or inculcated against information, or, probably worst, living on badly construed information.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 07:35 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

One can easily understand why some ladies would be scathing about abstinence. It leaves them competing on a level playing field which would be a serious calamity.

You rang?
Very simple, spendius, so you can write along: abstinence is not meant to
be a form of birth control, neither is crossing your legs. Got that? Good!

spendius

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 05:08 am
@ebrown p,
Quote:
(personally I think abstinence is the worst kind of perversion going against the very nature of things)

Civilisation, law and etiquette go against the very nature of things. The nature of things is anarchic promiscuity, the struggle for existence, the survival of the fittest, might is right and military and economic weakness.
spendius

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 07:19 am
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
Very simple, spendius, so you can write along: abstinence is not meant to
be a form of birth control, neither is crossing your legs. Got that? Good!

There is no need to take that schoolmarmish didactic attitude with me Cal. "Got that? Good!" lacks a door slam or a foot stamp.

Of course abstinence is a form of birth control. It is other things too. And crossing your legs, not mine of course, is very effective birth control except under highly attenuated coital positions which I will refrain from describing for reasons of delicacy. They are in most unexpurgated Yoga instruction manuals.

The presence in a social peer group of a small number of sexually experienced and available young girls not in the 50/50 proportion found generally can have no other effect, if evolution is any guide, than raise the agression levels of the young males. If all young girls were sexually experienced and available the problem might not be so acute.

I would thus argue that the anti-abstinence position, unless it calls for all young girls to be promiscuous, is a recipe for aggressive behaviour in young males. If we are going to pretend that "fast" young girls don't like to see the males fighting over them and displaying aggression then we are in fantasy land. When alcohol and other narcotics are accessible the situation becomes highly charged. The difficulty, which I readily admit, cannot be seen in isolation and in a context of its own.

Entering into society requires the adoption of both public and private roles both of which need to be seen in the context of the society. Discussion of the matter requires the public dimensions to be taken into account. The private alone comes out as a licence for libertinage.

And there is the difficulty of abstinence from what.

ebrown p

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 09:22 am
@spendius,
Quote:

Civilisation, law and etiquette go against the very nature of things. The nature of things is anarchic promiscuity, the struggle for existence, the survival of the fittest, might is right and military and economic weakness.

I disagree with this (although this probably should be a new thread- in fact if this discussion continues, let's take elsewhere).

Humans are social creatures-- creating societies is natural for us (in fact individual humans don't do well outside of society). Our closest evolutionary cousins are also social creatures. Among other primates you see laws and social structures.

The nature of things for social creatures is to form well-organized social structures that are generally peaceful (with violent struggles for existing being the exception).

Nature favors an orderly, civilized type of promiscuity within a functioning society.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 09:39 am
@spendius,
Well, apparently I have to talk to you like I do to my child otherwise it won't
sink in. I said, abstinence was not meant to be a form of birth control.
Of course it is, unfortunately not a good alternative!

Tell me spendius, when was the last time you've stood in front of a high school
and observed the teen interaction there? The social peer groups who have had sexual relations
is in the majority today - not a small group as you seem to believe.
In case you haven't noticed, puberty starts at a much younger age today than
it did 30 years ago, this is in addition to an ethnically diversified youth who
by nature reach their sexual maturity at a much younger age than your average English Miss. Do you acknowledge that?

I am glad you brought up the males here. How do you feel about staying
abstinent until marriage for males? You surely can't preach one without
the other.