Dating a Vegan... and Stuff...

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 07:35 pm
@ehBeth,
Well, I've cooked no meal yet, but she came over and we were snowed in so I made us a nice snack...

black beans
Texas Pete's hot sause
Corn Chips
Wine

...and we cuddled up and watched Battlestar Galactica. We just started the series from the beginning. More BSG and cuddling tomorrow... also, more snow. We're trying to make some plans for valentines day, but with everything mostly closed, we are hard up for idea right now. I just bought a new blue suit, so I was kind of hoping to make plans where I could look slick. Looking slick might go on hold though...

Either way, I'm too damn pleased with how well things are going to be picky. I know a good thing when I see one, and I just get a really good vibe from her.

T
K
O
ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 07:39 pm
@Diest TKO,
very nice indeed

I hope you get to step out in the slick blue suit soon.
doggie1

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 08:35 pm
is "and stuff" equivalent to "y'know"?
Diest TKO

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 01:28 am
@doggie1,
ha. No, in this case, I actually had a trolley question of sorts. I think it qualified as "stuff."

T
K
O
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 05:42 am
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

It might be wiser to think-nationally-on terms of prevention of these diseases rather than treatment. That's what happened in the case of lung cancer; rather than look for a cure, people stopped smoking, and the lung cancer rate is plummeting. Lung transplants are not very practical.
I'm not totally convinced that eating meat is bad for you, but I'm not going to wait for absolute proof that it is either; it'll be too late then. I would say that it's a good idea to get off feedlot-raised cattle. Grass-fed beef is available at natural food stores at about double the price of feedlot cattle, and it's probably worth it to prevent health problems in the future. One problem is that we can't trust any government agency to level with us. The FDA is bought and paid for, and the USDA was rendered impotent by the Reagan administration. The USDA no longer inspects meat in slaughter houses, at least their inspection is severly limited to spot checking now and then. Plant employees do the inspecting; this means illegal aliens. Anybody can learn to spot gross disease in animal carcasses, but illegal aliens walk on thin ice; their jobs are just temporary in any one plant, and rejecting too much meat puts them out of a job.

And here I am reading right along with you, nodding my head and wondering WHY you want to insist that eating vegetarian or vegan puts them in an extremely healthy body simply because of their diet...

I think almost the same way as you do.
I know the FDA is not to be relied on.
I know that the basics of what we are told is a healthy diet is actually what is killing us
I know that the vast majority of diseases today are directly related to the chemicals in our diet.
I know that all of these chemicals have been so called tested and retested to prove safety, yet majority of the food in america is banned in other countries. No one will purchase our milk for example. Too loaded with chemicals. No real food left.

I know all of this stuff
and I was agreeing with you right up to the point where you began to make it a racist thing.

That. was the absolute , most idiotic thing I have ever read.

it does not MATTER what race you are when you work in a place like that.
You are given outlines on how to test. You DO IT just as you are told.

Those outlines are created by the meat industry and are the bare minimum required to KEEP THEIR product being sold to everyone every day because they have also backed and funded the very advertisement you see ten million times a day that says the food pyramid tells you to eat meat 3 times a day .
They create this bullshit. They create its "safety parameters" so people dont stop buying and consuming it.

That has nothing to do with race. If you really believe ( and know) that the government agencies do NOT tell the truth then you should not come to a conclusion that involves RACE around an industry as big as the beef industry. Come on Rolling Eyes
coluber2001

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 03:22 pm
@shewolfnm,
If you mean by racist, the manning of the slaughterhouses with illegal aliens, then you misunderstood me, and racism was not my intention. The Mexicans workers are trapped in a bad situation. They are on very thin ice when working in these plants, and their jobs are temporary at best. They are promised benefits, but it is understood that they must leave just before these benefits kick in.

As far as the plant employees inspecting the carcasses, I reiterate that, though they are not as well-trained as USDA inspectors, they could still do a credible job with experience. The problem is that should they reject too many carcasses, i.e., should they actually do a credible job, their jobs would be on the line.

I don't understand how this is racist.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 03:24 pm
@coluber2001,
It isn't. You were quite clear in the first post about your sympathies for the workers and the difficulties they face.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 03:28 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

very nice indeed

I hope you get to step out in the slick blue suit soon.

No occasion for the suit yet. It's too wet and nasty in DC with all this filthy melting snow to wear it. Plenty of good dates though.

I found a bakery that makes vegan goods. I'm going to get a dozen raspberry and apricot linzer cookies to give her after she completes the DC marathon in March.

T
K
O
ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 03:29 pm
@Diest TKO,
and then you'll get the recipe and bake some yourself

cuz you're an awesome guy

Cool
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 03:41 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

If you mean by racist, the manning of the slaughterhouses with illegal aliens, then you misunderstood me, and racism was not my intention.

Then yes.
I absolutely did misunderstand. Im sorry about that.
I read your statement to mean that BECAUSE they were illegals they could not do a good job.

i see that is not what you meant.

I agree. It is about experience , but .. again.... if you are taught and told and sort of proven to(for lack of better terms) that a certain type of infection is ok to pass on into the food supply for example, how could one think outside that box?
We would all hope so. I mean WE are eating it..

but look at the common knowledge of society. People really think they should eat meat every day several times a day and/or with all meals. Common knowledge is dangerous. So if you pluck people from the 'tv society' that says beef every day is good, animal protein is necessary several times a day and the the FDA is a shining example of honesty and integrity . That they [fda] really stick up for the little guy.......

With that kind of programming, who would question what they say?
If you have no questions, then you test no boundaries.

I think i still absolutely agree with you.. just expanding the point .
0 Replies