Dating a Vegan... and Stuff...

sullyfish6

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:22 pm
Ha - first time you have hot sweaty sex, she will say you "smell"
Vegans pick up on the breath and odor of meat-eaters.

Time is the great revealor.

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:28 pm
@ehBeth,
That looks good!

O'Bill, it's been fun to catch up with your sis and her family on Facebook.

Meanwhile, I do think Thomas makes a good point and I don't want to unfairly malign vegans/ vegetarians with this conversion talk. I really did respect that E.G. was vegetarian (and that he decided to do so all on his own when he was quite young -- 12 or 13 I think), and had no problem with him continuing to be vegetarian. Just not how it worked out.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:34 pm
@sozobe,
Vegetarians tend to be normal people who just don't eat meat. Vegans tend to be self-righteous, self-obsessed control freaks. World of difference.

Sully is right about the odors. Meat eaters are much more stinky than veggie eaters. Diest, if you become a sneaky meat eater make sure not to fart in her direction, or she will know what you've been chowing down on.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:35 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
cannibalism, which DrewDad and Diest both disapprove of.

I do? That's news to me....

My objections to cannibalism are mostly along practical issues, such as food-born illness, rather than ethical issues. I do acknowledge the "ick factor", though, and probably would not choose cannibalism if the choice were available.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:37 pm
@sullyfish6,
perhaps true, on the other hand vegans fart alot.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:37 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Like most Vegans, she may well have given up animal products because of a well-considered ethical judgment:

Do you have any documentation to show this is the case? That may be your personal experience, but it's clashing my my personal experiences.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:38 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
Vegetarians tend to be normal people who just don't eat meat. Vegans tend to be self-righteous, self-obsessed control freaks. World of difference

Yes, this is the difference I've encountered.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 01:06 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
Meat eaters are much more stinky than veggie eaters.

I'll agree meat eaters have a different odor than vegans, but stinkier? not so much
ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 01:07 pm
@DrewDad,
double ditto for the DrewDad
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 01:07 pm
@DrewDad,
No, I don't have any documentation to show in this case. Good catch!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 01:12 pm
@Diest TKO,
http://veganmania.com/recipes/

pretty good recipe options here

I'd personally stay away from anything that's in the "pretending-to-be-meat" /"pretending-to-be-cheese"/"pretending-to-be-milk" category, but that's my personal politics.

If you're not going to eat meat/milk/cheese, let's not bother pretending.

oh yeah - don't forget to check all of your wardrobe/home style choices - no leather, no silk ... no down duvet, no beeswax candles, no products tested on animals - any of those could throw date night into a debate tizzy
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 01:17 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Green Witch wrote:
Meat eaters are much more stinky than veggie eaters.

I'll agree meat eaters have a different odor than vegans, but stinkier? not so much

Vegans do get to legitimately claim their "**** don't stink" - it's all about the bacteria. It's even evident if you work around farm animals. Rabbit and sheep poop, no big stink. Pig poop (when feed meat scraps and byproducts) - eeeeewww!
Thomas

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:11 pm
@Green Witch,
... but rabbits are much smaller than pigs. So, to be fair, you'd have to compare the poop of 10-20 rabbits to the poop of one pig. I'd say the stink is about equal.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:31 pm
@Thomas,
No waaay. I'll clean out rabbit cages any day compared to pig pens. Sheep are about the size of some pigs and their poop is no big deal either. You can smell pig poop from miles away.
Thomas

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:38 pm
@Green Witch,
I'm glad we sorted this out. No doubt this information will prove crucial for Diest and his potential girlfriend.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 03:01 pm
Boca products form the major concentrated-protein part of my diet. These are patties sold at Wal-Mart and else where for about $3.00 per 10 ounces. There are hamburger-type and chicken-type patties. They are quite good and filling and are totally vegan. If you and she, for instance, are having spaghetti, you could make two sauces, one with boca and one with beef, though I think you would like the boca just as well. Or you could grill both hamburgers and bocas together.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 07:16 pm
Yay! Lots of replies! Thanks for all the input. I can give a little more insight too, since I see what direction people took the thread.

Se has been a vegetarian for the majority of her life, and a vegan for the last decade. While I haven't had a super in depth talk about why she chose to be one, I gather from inference that it is a moral/social reason. I have pretty good wits about people, and I honestly don't pick up an air of superiority from her. She doesn't seem like the type that would be judgmental. The way I worry if she might build up a resentment seems to be a mutual concern. We had Ethiopian food and we ate vegan one night. She said that she feels bad if she puts a person in a person in that position. She said she doesn't want others to feel like she is forcing her beliefs on them. She honestly seemed a little embarrassed. I just told her I had a good time, and that Ethiopian food is meant to be eaten communally so it just made sense to order together.

In short: I don't think she is going to give me a hassle, the only reason I brought it up is because I really like the girl and I don't want to lose any points (so to speak). So this is mostly in my head I think.

Thomas - White wine isn't vegan? All whites? I never knew that, and I kind of fancy myself a wine guy. Can you explain?

Shewolfnm - Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm not usually so struck by a person. To quote my roommate, I'm all "twitterpated."

Greenwitch - Come the point of sex, if we find ourselves talking post coitus about what deli I smell like, I'll take it as a bad sign. Not that I smell, but rather that it probably means that the sex was lame enough that she had the time to identify the smell. Rather, I'd prefer the pillow talk to be all exasperated baby words and sentence fragments, if you dig.

Everyone else - Thanks for the recipe help/directions.

T
K
O
Below viewing threshold (view)
Thomas

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 08:48 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:
Thomas - White wine isn't vegan? All whites? I never knew that, and I kind of fancy myself a wine guy. Can you explain?

No I can't. White wine most certainly is vegan, give or take the occasional ant that was crawling about on the grapes. What gave you the impression that I thought otherwise?
ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 09:07 pm
@Thomas,
http://vegan-food.suite101.com/article.cfm/a_guide_on_vegan_wines

Quote:
If you are a vegan concerned about whether or not your favorite wine is vegan, check out this guide before popping open that new bottle of Merlot.
Filtering

Filtering (or fining) is the step in wine making which causes a wine or another alcoholic beverage to be "un-vegan". Traditional methods of filtering call for the use of egg albumin, casein (from milk), isinglass, and gelatin; none of which are vegan friendly.

apparently "the" resource for finding vegan-friendly adult beverages is

http://www.barnivore.com/wine