Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 04:52 pm
@Diest TKO,
Ask her about high fructose corn syrup.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 05:53 pm
@shewolfnm,
Quote:
2 people can live in the same house and eat completely different diets.

Seriously

but it is not as much fun, a bonding experience is lost, it is more work....this is not good from a relationship dynamic angle. Why would anyone sign up for this unless they are already uptight about food and so know that in order to get a mate they must give a wide berth to another person who is uptight about food?

Our OP loves food, loves to experiment with food, he should be smart and find a girl who likes to eat with abandon.
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 09:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Our OP loves food, loves to experiment with food, he should be smart and find a girl who likes to eat with abandon.

Well, it just means I get to experiment with new ingredients and recipes on occasion.

Tofu
K
O
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:21 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
Well, it just means I get to experiment with new ingredients and recipes on occasion.

that is going to get old very fast. As you spend more time together the problem gets worse. Is she that great a **** that she is worth all this?

If she is then great, life is a balancing act.
Diest TKO

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 07:49 am
@hawkeye10,
Why would cooking with new ingredients get old fast, or any faster than it would if I was cooking for a non-vegan?

T
K
O
shewolfnm

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 07:56 am
@Diest TKO,
meat mentality here ..

some people really do believe that eating meat is the 100% best way to go.
I liken them to the " Go America **** Yeah" crowd..
Diest TKO

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 08:02 am
@shewolfnm,
Interesting article...

The Onion wrote:
Report: Meat Now America's No. 2 Condiment

CHICAGO"Though once defined as just a stand-alone meal, meat has risen quickly up the ranks to become the nation's second most popular condiment, according to a study released by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

"In the past several years, meat's use as a way to enhance the flavor of foods has increased exponentially," said Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns. "Ketchup is still number one, but at the rate people are putting meat on top of other meats and foods, it may very well surpass it by 2010."

"American consumption habits have made meat a necessity just so people can notice that they're eating something," Johanns added.

Johanns cited the rise of bacon as a condiment as the most universal example of this trend. "By 2015, our researchers predict bacon alone will supplant condiments as diverse as mustard and Worcestershire sauce," Johanns said. "Crumbled 'bacon bits' are a classic addition to salads, and in recent years, slabs of bacon are increasingly used to wrap vegetables, fruits, and seafood. Adding bacon as a topping to cheeseburgers is old news, but now we are seeing bacon-topped meatloaf, bacon-covered chicken wings, and deep-fried, bacon-wrapped bacon sprinkled on pork chops."

Fast-food restaurants have led the charge in pioneering the new trend, Agriculture Department food chemist and study co-author Lynn Starck said. "McDonald's discovered years ago that people aren't really looking for some kind of spicy sauce to top their sandwiches," Starck said. "Quite frankly, what they really want to pile on their hamburger patty is another hamburger patty."

Mayonnaise"a mixture of egg and oil"was one of the original condiments, premiering in the 18th century and growing in popularity as diners sought toppings with flavors nearly as powerful as the food beneath them. According to the report, this growth will continue into the next century, with such new innovations as smearable beef packets, kielbasa chutney, and squeeze-bottled chicken.

Pureéd-steak pump-action dispensers are already a staple at condiment stations across the country, as an estimated 79 percent of fast-food patrons now dip their fries not just into ketchup, but into meat in one of its liquid forms.

High-end restaurants are also getting in on the act, with tuxedoed waiters now offering freshly ground steak tartare and a lightly seasoned pork mixture along with the more traditional black pepper at every table.

"In many restaurants, they'll 'meat up' almost any plate on the menu, even vegetarian ones, with an entire steak drooping over the top, at the customer's request," Starck said. "Bologna sherbet and ham brulée are also just two of the hot new condiment-based desserts we're seeing more and more of."

Kraft Foods, makers of Jell-O, are expected to release their highly anticipated pudding cups with dried veal sprinkles in November, and Baskin-Robbins is experimenting with diced frozen frankfurters and gelatinous pork orbs as toppings for their many flavors of ice cream.

Celebrity chefs such as Bobby Flay have enthusiastically embraced the meat-condiment craze. "I've been dipping my onion rings in a mixture of stone-ground white cornmeal, fresh thyme, and lightly whipped bison meat for years now," Flay said. "A couple of years ago doing something like that would have gotten me kicked off my five TV shows. Now everybody's asking for the recipe."

Full article: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/51139

T
K
O
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 08:04 am
Before even reading that, Im going to say that articles like that make the beef industry that much more powerful.
People will read that and say " Look see! Im right" and the 'conventional wisdom' gets that much more dangerous and that much more off the mark.

The human bodies health is NOT optimal on a primary meat diet. but since we are scavengers of sorts we CAN survive on it

now to shut up and read Smile
shewolfnm

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 08:07 am
@shewolfnm,
see.
i should have shut up first.

its the onion. Laughing

but sadly.. it has a large ring of truth.
people dont think they are eating unless its meat.
Diest TKO

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 08:12 am
@shewolfnm,
Gotcha!

You're right, and while the article is satire, satire is only effective when it's based on some element of truth.

Hell, you can get steak on a salad... A goddamn steak... on salad.

America, **** yeah: http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

T
K
O
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 08:14 am
lorddddy mercy im hungry.

the **** yeah comes from this -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcVtlXBM7MU

Funny movie
Diest TKO

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 08:21 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:
Funny movie

Story of my life.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 07:30 pm
Been following along with interest. Some time ago I put this book on my keep-an-eye-out-for list (sons' girlfriends always turn out to be vegetarian):

How It All Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer

According to my note to myself it is "a vegetarian cookbook with recipes you might actually eat not written by nut bars". Damning with faint praise indeed, but still, if you're going to be doing any cooking it might be worth checking into.
msolga

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 07:36 pm
@Tai Chi,
I have an old cookbook I can happily recommend, too. Pretty good!

Vegan Cooking for Everyone by Leah Leneman. Published by Thorson (an off-shoot of Harper Collins ), UK
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 12:01 pm
@shewolfnm,
just because someone is vegan does not mean they will live longer or be healthier.

I disagree with you on the life expectency of vegans over meat eaters. Here's a study by T Colin Campbell on the diets of rural Chinese vs Americans. We have an epidemic of cancer, heart disease, and obesity in America, and one of the major culprits is meat, especially meat loaded with saturated fat-the higher grades and most popular. The study is staggering in that heart disease and cancer seems to be commensurrate with the comsumption of meat. The process of raising cattle in feed lots and loading them up with antibiotics, steroids and growth hormones, pesticides, and a totally unnatural corn-based diet that makes them sick with ulcers is also a bad idea. If one must eat beef at least buy grass-fed beef. It's more expensive, much more expensive, but isn't one's life and health worth it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Study
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 05:52 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
The study is staggering in that heart disease and cancer seems to be commensurrate with the comsumption of meat

Call me if it becomes established scientific fact. Till then I can't even begin to get interested.
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 06:06 pm
UPDATE: She's coming over and we are letting the Blizzard blow over while we watch Battlestar Galactica. Things seem to be going really well.

I learned that the somen noodles and sauce is vegan, so I'm going to make some of that as a snack.

T
K
O
coluber2001

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 11:56 am
@hawkeye10,
I won't call you at all; you have the right to eat whatever you like or smoke cigarettes for that matter. I quit eating meat when I was in my 60's; too late to make any difference health-wise, probably. But, even so they tell us it's never too late to stop smoking, so maybe it never is too late, at least until you get a heart attact.

The health care system-if we have one-is crumbling because of the poor lifestyle of Americans; everyone wants expensive last-resort cancer treatment or a heart bypass or diabetes treatment.
It might be wiser to think-nationally-on terms of prevention of these diseases rather than treatment. That's what happened in the case of lung cancer; rather than look for a cure, people stopped smoking, and the lung cancer rate is plummeting. Lung transplants are not very practical.
I'm not totally convinced that eating meat is bad for you, but I'm not going to wait for absolute proof that it is either; it'll be too late then. I would say that it's a good idea to get off feedlot-raised cattle. Grass-fed beef is available at natural food stores at about double the price of feedlot cattle, and it's probably worth it to prevent health problems in the future. One problem is that we can't trust any government agency to level with us. The FDA is bought and paid for, and the USDA was rendered impotent by the Reagan administration. The USDA no longer inspects meat in slaughter houses, at least their inspection is severly limited to spot checking now and then. Plant employees do the inspecting; this means illegal aliens. Anybody can learn to spot gross disease in animal carcasses, but illegal aliens walk on thin ice; their jobs are just temporary in any one plant, and rejecting too much meat puts them out of a job.

sullyfish6

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 04:18 pm
Just heard of a study of 1400 nurses they tracked over a number of years. no difference in cancer rates for those who consumed Meat vs. eating lots of fruit and vegetables. I will look for source.

I think the secret is to have healthy parents. . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:39 pm
@Diest TKO,
so how'd that vegan blizzard event work out? did you cook a meal for her?