Rape & the U.S. Millitary

JTT

Mon 1 Feb, 2010 06:30 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Gob's arguments were pretty much demolished from the outset, as I think you might have noted, Bill, but it doesn't change the fact that you are an incredible hypocrite, a walking talking dictionary definition of hypocrite.

Do you really believe what you write or do you think it a good gambit with the ladies? I can't imagine anyone as unprincipled as you could be doing this for good or honest reasons.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 1 Feb, 2010 06:31 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
As Deist pointed out; you might actually be taken seriously on occasion if you could focus on a topic, instead of using all as a springboard for wingnut nonsense. (Daily troll feeding, check.)

There you go, speaking for everyone again......you are truly a God among men aren't you..
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 1 Feb, 2010 06:38 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
(Daily troll feeding, check.)

That was cute up to about the hundredth or so time you used it, Bill.

It's still a favorite of empty brainers like Tico.

0 Replies

JTT

Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:00 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:

In the afternoon of December 2, Donovan and Dorothy Kazel picked up two Maryknoll missionary sisters, Maura Clarke and Ita Ford, from the airport after the pair arrived from attending a Maryknoll conference in Managua, Nicaragua. They were under surveillance by a National Guardsman at the time, who phoned his commander for orders. Acting on orders from their commander, five National Guard members changed into plainclothes and continued to stake out the airport.

The five members of the National Guard of El Salvador, out of uniform, stopped the vehicle they were driving after they left the airport in San Salvador. Donovan and the three sisters were taken to a relatively isolated spot where they were beaten, raped, and murdered by the soldiers.[4]

At about 10:00 the night of Tuesday, December 2, three hours after Donovan and Kazel picked up Clarke and Ford, local peasants had seen the sisters' white van drive to an isolated spot and then heard machine-gun fire followed by single shots. They saw five men flee the scene in the white van, with the lights on and the radio blaring. The van would be found later that night, on fire at the side of the airport road.[4]

Early the next morning, Wednesday, December 3, they found the bodies of the four women, and were told by local authorities"a judge, three members of the civil guard, and two commanders"to bury the women in a common grave in a nearby field. Four of the local men did so, but informed their parish priest, and the news reached the local bishop and the U.S. Ambassador to El Salvador, Robert White, the same day.[4]

The shallow grave was exhumed the next day, on Thursday, December 4, in front of fifteen reporters, Sisters Alexander and Dorsey and several missioners, and Ambassador White. Donovan's body was the first removed; then Kazel's; then Clarke's; and last, Ita Ford. The next day, a Mass of the Resurrection was said by the bishop, Arturo Rivera y Damas; and on Saturday, December 6, the bodies of Jean Donovan and Dorothy Kazel were flown out for burial, Donovan to her parents in Sarasota, Florida, and Kazel back to her hometown of Cleveland, Ohio. The bodies of the Maryknoll sisters, Clarke and Ford, were not repatriated and were buried in Chalatenango.[4] The U.S. State Department charged the Donovans $3,500 for the return of their daughter's body.

Subsequent history

As news of the murders was made public in the United States, public outrage forced the U.S. government to pressure the El Salvador regime to investigate. The earliest investigations were condemned as whitewash attempts by the later ones, and in time, a Truth Commission was appointed by the United Nations to investigate who gave the orders, who knew about it, and who covered it up.

Several low-level guardsman were convicted, and two generals were sued by the women's families in the federal civil courts of the United States for their command responsibility for the incident. U.S. foreign policy, which had shored up the right-wing government through the Carter, Reagan, and Bush Administrations, was forced into the public eye.

The head of the National Guard, whose troops were responsible for the murders, Gen. Carlos Eugenio Vides Casanova, went on to become Minister of Defense in the government of José Napoleón Duarte.[1] After their emigration to the U.S. state of Florida, Vides Casanova and his fellow general, José Guillermo García, were sued by the families of the four women in federal civil court. The case is styled Ford v. Garcia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Donovan

"After their emigration to U.S. state of Florida", of course, what would you expect?

And where's Occom Bill? These were American woman, Bill. It's okay to show your outrage and stamp your feet and scream, ... oh wait, you've got to bring up the subject of US complicity. Better give it a pass, a biiiiiiiig pass. And besides, they were murdered. You don't do murder, right?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:00 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
GOB1 says that the military's job is to defend the country. If you think it's anything else, please tell us what it is. He's right about the statement, but you've just got too much fight in your fingers to think about what it is you actually disagree with him about.

Since you find GOB1's reason for the military to be idiotic, why don't you tell us what the purpose is, and other's can decide the intelligence of your answer.

The statement obviously is an accurate description of the military's role for every country. The fact of the matter is that that's not how it's been used by the USA in the vast majority of cases.

This is exactly the point: Every military has this role, including ours. Your objections to the military's actions that are extraordinary to this role does not make the statement that the military is for the USA's defense a incorrect statement.

JTT wrote:

When was the last time that the US military was used to defend the United States?

You're right. I can't think of a time since Pearl Harbor. I guess post WW2, we didn't need a military then. I mean, knowing what we know now (that the USA was never invaded), I guess it's kind of silly to think of all that money we spent. I mean having that military probably had nothing to do with the fact that we we never invaded...

JTT wrote:

Flooded with responses, I was not.

I'd love for you to tell me then what this means in your opinion.

JTT wrote:

How many countries are lined up to launch an invasion of the homeland?

Right now: Zero. Take our military away today. You won't see me get in your way. I'll ask you the same question about lines forming tomorrow.

You see, the problem here is that the paranoid fear of inevitable war has been so exaggerated and used to exploited that you've come to reject that their might be any truth in the statement after removing all agenda. Certainly the truth is somewhere in the middle.

You know, this part isn't unique to the USA at all. Name me a country without some form of military. We can discuss it's state.

How many people are lining up to invade Canada? Canada has an army.

JTT wrote:

Same degree of response. Hell, even through the whole Cold War, there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell that any country would have tried to invade the USA.

Now you're making the understatements.

JTT wrote:

I have to note that even with all the research skills that a young academic like you possesses, you have a paucity of threads and postings on the "not all good" aspects of the US military/government, though there's no paucity of those aspects to be discussed.

What? I've got no notion that the USA is perfect, and my posts have never promoted anything resembling that. Just because I express myself differently than you does not make the way I express or act inferior to you, or that I care less about these issues. Check that.

T
K
O
JTT

Tue 2 Feb, 2010 01:03 am
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
This is exactly the point: Every military has this role, including ours. Your objections to the military's actions that are extraordinary to this role does not make the statement that the military is for the USA's defense a incorrect statement.

We agree then. I think I explained clearly what the idiocy was in Gob's statement.

Quote:
You're right. I can't think of a time since Pearl Harbor. I guess post WW2, we didn't need a military then. I mean, knowing what we know now (that the USA was never invaded), I guess it's kind of silly to think of all that money we spent. I mean having that military probably had nothing to do with the fact that we we never invaded...

There's really no need to go to the ridiculous, TKO. There's plenty of evidence that the USA has terribly abused the notion of what a military is for. The money spent is the least of it. The millions of innocent lives lost is what you might want to consider.

Quote:
Right now: Zero. Take our military away today. You won't see me get in your way. I'll ask you the same question about lines forming tomorrow.

You see, the problem here is that the paranoid fear of inevitable war has been so exaggerated and used to exploited that you've come to reject that their might be any truth in the statement after removing all agenda. Certainly the truth is somewhere in the middle.

You know, this part isn't unique to the USA at all. Name me a country without some form of military. We can discuss it's state.

How many people are lining up to invade Canada? Canada has an army.

You're doing exactly what you accused Gob of doing, introducing extraneous notions to move the conversation away from what the US has done with its military.

And it's pretty clear, but I'll state it for you once more, the USA has used its military not for defence, by your own admission, but for active offense against innocent nations solely for the purpose of allowing American business interests access to markets and in many or most cases to allow them to function in such a manner that it was the equivalent of stealing the wealth from those countries.

Quote:
What? I've got no notion that the USA is perfect, and my posts have never promoted anything resembling that. Just because I express myself differently than you does not make the way I express or act inferior to you, or that I care less about these issues.

I've not suggested that your expressions are inferior to mine nor could I possibly divine who cares more or less. There have been far too many innocents butchered to worry about something as insignificant as that. Wouldn't you agree?

Diest TKO

Tue 2 Feb, 2010 04:04 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

There's really no need to go to the ridiculous, TKO. There's plenty of evidence that the USA has terribly abused the notion of what a military is for. The money spent is the least of it. The millions of innocent lives lost is what you might want to consider.

I never said that the military's authority hasn't been abused, nor have I said that individuals in the military haven't committed crimes. Who says I'm not considering innocent lives lost?

I'm saying that for all the heinous things that have happened in the military, we can simply talk about one problem (women being raped) and find solutions for it independent of all the other things.

You're very good at identifying problems in the military, but it's not a problem until you have a solution. Trying the war criminals of any war (like Vietnam) is important, and I agree should happen, but it has **** nothing to do with delivering justice for a female soldier raped on the U.S. military base. Get focused. Perhaps your thoughts (on those things) are better for a different thread. I'd rather have your thoughts on what proactive (not just retroactive) things the military can do to help fix this. We can talk at length about the war criminals later.

JTT wrote:

And it's pretty clear, but I'll state it for you once more, the USA has used its military not for defense, by your own admission, but for active offense against innocent nations solely for the purpose of allowing American business interests access to markets and in many or most cases to allow them to function in such a manner that it was the equivalent of stealing the wealth from those countries.

Women. Raped. Focus.

If you were a nurse and you saw a piece of **** KKK member wounded, would you go help save them? It seem that you've got such a mad-on for the military that you see it hemorrhaging and you're smugly chuckling at its suffering. Even if you hate hate hate the military, you should support the victims here and not make this about your beef with them.

JTT wrote:

There have been far too many innocents butchered to worry about something as insignificant as that. Wouldn't you agree?

Then why bring up my posting history? You took us there, don't tell me about how petty it is. I have no interest to talk about it either.

Here you are telling me that I need to think about the victims, and yet when I created a topic about specific victims (women soldiers being raped) here, you've tried very hard to change the topic to your beef with the military and its war crimes. Why make this your soapbox?

T
K
O
JTT

Tue 2 Feb, 2010 12:48 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
I never said that the military's authority hasn't been abused, nor have I said that individuals in the military haven't committed crimes. Who says I'm not considering innocent lives lost?

Then I'll see you over at, The real Ronald Reagan, the real United States.

I wish you luck with your endeavor here.

I'd recommend a promotion to five star general, a full pension and a residential wing in the WH for any whistle blowers.
0 Replies