Rape & the U.S. Millitary

BillRM

Wed 27 Jan, 2010 07:23 pm
@Diest TKO,
LOL the military is three times safer for women then a college campus do you not love it!!!!! You do have to pick the right universes such as young women not 88 years old women.

http://www.now.org/issues/violence/030702college.html

According to a federal study, about three percent of college women are sexually attacked and thirteen percent are stalked during an academic year. "The Sexual Victimization of College Women" was released last year by the U.S. Justice Department's National Institute of Justice and Bureau of Justice Statistics. The report is based on interviews with 4,446 college women (employing a nationally representative sample) and examines the frequency and nature of sexual assault on college campuses in the United States.

Of the women surveyed, 2.8 percent experienced either a completed rape (1.7 percent) or an attempted rape (1.1 percent). The victimization rate was 27.7 rapes per 1,000 female students; 22.8 percent of the women were raped more than once, for a rate of incidents of 35.3 per 1,000 students. For a campus with 10,000 women, the number of rapes could exceed 350 per year.

BillRM

Wed 27 Jan, 2010 07:28 pm
@rabel22,
Quote:
Could your arguements be described as sticking your head in the sand.

I would call it looking at true numbers instead of false numbers such as 33 percent of military women had been raped!!!!!!!!!!

Being off from the truth by 33 times is a little over the error margin for most people.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Wed 27 Jan, 2010 07:41 pm
@BillRM,
So you think it's relevant to compare a 80 yr old woman's chance of being raped to a 19 yr old to prove the army is safe?

dumb.

So then if at the age bracket of 17 - 23 (about the ages you'd see in college) you demonstrated a 2.8% to be compared to 1% of rapes/attempted rapes for an age bracket of 18 - ... oh wait... you're not done. You're 1% figure is for all ages. You rejected my comparison of an all age figure to an all age figure, then think I'm going to accept you comparing a 4-5 year window to the whole of the female staffing of the military. HA. You didn't finish your homework. You have to compare the 19 yr old in the army with the 19 year old in college. You have to compare the 50 yr old in the army with the 50 year old near retirement.

St0p half ass-ing this.

T
K
O
Setanta

Wed 27 Jan, 2010 07:55 pm
Many men seem to want to trivialize accusations of rape. I'm never surprised by it, although i am dismayed by it. Personally, i expect that rape is far more prevalent in society than we know, because it goes unreported.
BillRM

Wed 27 Jan, 2010 08:12 pm
@Diest TKO,
Lord so you are claiming that there is enough fifty years old women in the military to change the age distribution of women in the service away from that of college girls in a meaningful way.

We are now in the Twilight Zone and it would seem that you do not care how ridiculous you appear with your arguments.

In any case the Twilight Zone was a great TV show but kind of old fashion and I am about done with this thread.

Good luck in convincing everyone how evil and sick the military happen to be, it been fun dealing with you. Bye-bye.
0 Replies

BillRM

Wed 27 Jan, 2010 08:15 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Many men seem to want to trivialize accusations of rape. I'm never surprised by it, although i am dismayed by it. Personally, i expect that rape is far more prevalent in society than we know, because it goes unreported.

Another member of the twilight zone hear from and I am sure you are correct instead of 33 percents of all women in the military having been rape it must be a 100 percent.
Setanta

Wed 27 Jan, 2010 08:19 pm
@BillRM,
Hey jackass, keep your snide comments for you damned wife. I have no respect for you at all or your ignorant opinions. Learn what a past participle is. Learn how write coherently in the English language. Not that it will make any difference in my opinion of you. Even if you were capable of writing proper English, you'd still have nothing to write worth reading.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 27 Jan, 2010 08:29 pm
the military is highly stressed, aggression is part of the culture of the warrior as it must be, so ya....sexual aggression is common. very little of what is called rape in the military has any violence base, it is mostly coercive sex, sex with a power component.

The biggest thing that happens is that the women want to fit in, so they act like sex to them is like it is for a guy. However, the sexual behaviors that make a man a manly man makes a woman a slut. The women advertise that they are sluts, and so they get treated like sluts. When things go wrong they decide that they are victims. Communication is a problem, and it is not fair to blame guys for all of the problem.
Diest TKO

Thu 28 Jan, 2010 06:47 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
very little of what is called rape in the military has any violence base, it is mostly coercive sex, sex with a power component.

T
K
Rolling Eyes
rabel22

Thu 28 Jan, 2010 12:46 pm
@Diest TKO,
Does power component mean forced?
aidan

Thu 28 Jan, 2010 03:21 pm
@rabel22,
Quote:

or at least ''strongly suggested'?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 28 Jan, 2010 03:30 pm
@Diest TKO,
Clearly we should stop enlisting men in the military. It is they who are doing all the raping.
Diest TKO

Thu 28 Jan, 2010 04:14 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Clearly we should stop enlisting men in the military. It is they who are doing all the raping.

Who suggested such a dumb idea? Your satirical appeal to extremes misses the point. Much like Bill's strawman, I'm not attacking the military.

T
K
O
Walter Hinteler

Thu 28 Jan, 2010 04:16 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Well, "Sexual assault is contrary to military values. Whether the victim is a Service Member or civilian, sexual assault violates military cultural values of self-discipline, trust, selflessness, and honorable conduct, and undermines the reputation of the Armed Forces.".

That's from the latest Report of The Defense Task Force on Sexual Assault in the Military Services. (Some interesting findings and recommendations in that report.)

0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 28 Jan, 2010 04:24 pm
@Diest TKO,
You miss the point, however, I suspect you have never served in a ship after 150 days at sea without seeing land; or in an infantry battalion in combat.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 28 Jan, 2010 04:31 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

You miss the point, however, I suspect you have never served in a ship after 150 days at sea without seeing land;

Might be that on those ships they used something stronger - I haven't been so long on sea - but we got 'flag-o-quick' in our coffee .... which was served in a rumor pot Wink
hawkeye10

Thu 28 Jan, 2010 04:46 pm
@rabel22,
Quote:

No, it means actively trying to get another person to agree to do what you want them to do. This is now considered out of bounds in sexual negotiations, which is nuts considering how much we revere this activity in other areas of our lives.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 28 Jan, 2010 05:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I son't know what they might have thrown in the pot, however, whatever it was it wasn't strong enough.

Imagine a crowd of 5,800 young men (average age 19 years) counting the days to a Port visit to perth Australia or Pattya beach Thailand under those conditions.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 02:21 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
You miss the point, however, I suspect you have never served in a ship after 150 days at sea without seeing land; or in an infantry battalion in combat.

Yeah, I made it 149 days, then I got off. Care to fill me in on that 150th day, and how it has any ******* relevance to women being raped in high percentage?

If your point is that it's a high stress environment, no ****.

T
K
O
Setanta

Fri 29 Jan, 2010 06:57 am
Rape has been a violation of military regulation in the United States since the earliest days. The very first Articles of War published in the United States provided the death penalty for rape. During the revolution, George Washington received a note from one of his regimental commanders stating that two of his men had been caught in an act of rape, and were to be tried by a "drum-head" court. The exchange of notes was a model of terse economy. Washington received a note: "Convicted--recommend execution." On the same piece of paper, Washington wrote: "Concur." He received that piece of paper in return shortly thereafter, with the message: "Executed."

The Articles of War applied to the Navy as well as the Army. Legally, rape was not tolerated in the Navy any more than it was by land, without regard to how long a crew had been at sea.