Rape & the U.S. Millitary

JTT

Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
while I am of the opinion that most military people are highly moral

The facts simply don't support that. How many military higher ups have you ever heard demand that those involved in war crimes be held to account? No, really, how many?

Now consider the number that are actively involved in covering up. Hell, even old Colin Powell, yes man that he is, dutifully took his turn at hiding war crimes, then, when asked to do it again, leaped to the fore.

Just on this one basic issue, rape in the US military, how many have you heard stand up and actually seek redress for their soldiers?

There's no better defence for a rapist/murderer/war criminal than to give them the gift of time. I don't think that I'd be too far off by suggesting that's exactly what these military "planners" are doing?

Is this gift extended to each and every criminal in the US forces?
hawkeye10

Sat 30 Jan, 2010 07:04 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
The facts simply don't support that. How many military higher ups have you ever heard demand that those involved in war crimes be held to account? No, really, how many?

while it was the CIA that did most of the torture in Iraq and Afghanistan and not the military, I agree with you on this point.

Quote:
Just on this one basic issue, rape in the US military, how many have you heard stand up and actually seek redress for their soldiers?

What I see is an enormous amount of time spent on false charges and then if there is some truth the the charges figuring out what happened. If the event was rape I don't think that many military members, male or female, would be in favor of any action being taken. If it was rape-rape most would want to nail the perp.
JTT

Sat 30 Jan, 2010 07:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
What I see is an enormous amount of time spent on false charges and then if there is some truth the the charges figuring out what happened.

This is what I was talking about, HE. You don't have a ******* clue about what is happening yet you continue to play your old, and tired, and exceedingly stupid song. Each case deserves to be examined on the facts, not on some casual generic dismissal. Did you even read those articles?

Quote:
If the event was rape I don't think that many military members, male or female, would be in favor of any action being taken.

Odd that, the very defenders of the American way can be classed as a bunch of low life licentious vermin and in this, I don't necessarily mean the enlisted men. Clearly many of the higher ups need to do a few years in the stockade.

hawkeye10

Sat 30 Jan, 2010 08:06 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Each case deserves to be examined on the facts, not on some casual generic dismissal

My God, you have a difficult time staying on the rails. I never indicated that I believe otherwise.

Do you have any argument with an actual position of mine?
0 Replies

JTT

Sat 30 Jan, 2010 08:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
My God, you have a difficult time staying on the rails. I never indicated that I believe otherwise.

Do you have any argument with an actual position of mine?

Who's been signing your posts for you?
0 Replies

JTT

Sat 30 Jan, 2010 09:13 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
Demented pieces of **** trivialize heinous behavior in this way.

That's precisely what you've been doing, pretty much forever, Bill, trivializing heinous behavior and offering support for the same.

And now this. I find this personal degree of honesty quite a refreshing change.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sat 30 Jan, 2010 10:48 pm
I rather liked this post after I made it, and now, after scanning the misanthropic screeds that followed, I think it is worth posting again.

This thread has taken a downward turn even fron the dubious initial post and the "statistics" accompanying it.

I suspect few here noted that the data source in the opening reference was the statements of veterans applying for VA benefits (for PTSD) after they were released from active duty. Nor, I suspect did anyone notice that the only comparative data offered was from the Justice department, based on legal convictions for rape.

There were many other sources of data available to the researchers. For example they could have considered actual convicions for rape under military law and compared them with the data for convictions under civil law. Unfortunately that wasn't done. They could also have tabulated the number of charges for rape or other like offenses brought under military law: unfortunately that wasn't done either. Instead they took the unsubstantiated allegations of people applying for Federal benefits for them, all long after the facts - and compared them to convictions under civil law.

This was the basis for the loud speculation that "there is something wrong with the U.S military forces". Equally interesting is the fact that no one bothered to note that the systematic inclusion of women in the combat forces is a very recent phenomenon; one still not widely practiced by other nations; and one that could plausibly bear on the issue at hand.

Dispassionate suggestions that these factors should be considered, yielded a firestorm. The dialogue quickly degenerated to Occam Bill's shrill hysterics and implications that no one except him can fully understand or appreciate the awfulness of rape; and the rather silly and girlish defensive pretenses of the author of this thread that he is somehow above all this and immune from criticism.

It's all OK by me. But don't expect to be taken seriously by serious people.
JTT

Sat 30 Jan, 2010 11:58 pm
@georgeob1,
I don't believe I've ever come across a posting of yours, Gob, that was worth posting once, let alone twice.

Odd that the one who willfully and actively seeks to defend the murder, rape and torture of those who happen not to be of his kind would have the gall to label others misanthropic.

It would serve you well to open a dictionary before you go throwing around words that you don't understand.

0 Replies

Diest TKO

Sun 31 Jan, 2010 12:28 am
@georgeob1,
George - Millitary service comes with many benefits and privilages. It offers many people access to an education and job skill who would not otherwise have the resources. A proposed solution that bars over half of the USA's population from having access is simply off the table.

T
K
O
georgeob1

Sun 31 Jan, 2010 04:05 am
@Diest TKO,
Our armed forces exist to defend the country. They are not social services agencies.
Diest TKO

Sun 31 Jan, 2010 04:50 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Our armed forces exist to defend the country. They are not social services agencies.

I'm sure you change the channel when GOP leaders use defense spending arguments for job creation.

I guess you'd remove vet benefits and money for school too.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 31 Jan, 2010 06:53 am
@georgeob1,
What a clown. Is that supposed to be a justification for rape by members of the armed forces? You do recall that that is the topic of the thread, right?
0 Replies

BillRM

Sun 31 Jan, 2010 07:46 am
Lord, I had not been looking at this silly thread for some time but I find it amazing that someone can post silly and provable completely false claims that a large fraction of our fine young men in the military happen to be rapists, and yet it still go on and on.

You supporters of this nonsense should be more then slightly ashamed of yourself.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 31 Jan, 2010 10:14 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

You supporters of this nonsense should be more then slightly ashamed of yourself.

I'm not supported (any) nonsense, nor do - as far nor do it (again, as far as I know) Louis V. Iasiello, Rear Admirak (US Navy) (ret), Jill M. Grant, Chief, Army Litigation Division Judge Advocate General's Corps, Sharon K.G. Dunbar, Brigadier General, US Air Force, Director, Mapower, Organization and Resources, Susan M. Swiatek, Colonel, IS Marine Corps, Judge Advocate ... The latter (all from the above quoted task force) think that re "sexual assault incidents in the Armed Forces [...]the reporting procedures, data collection, case tracking, and use of sexual assault data by senior military and civilian leaders" are not handled as they should.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sun 31 Jan, 2010 10:35 am
on thing that has not been brought up is how close rape is to domestic abuse, and why getting tough on rape causes an expanding problem. Our force is extremely stressed, and with stress and repeat deployments compounded with PTSD compounded with marital infidelity during the year long deployments (by both soldiers and spouses) comes a boatload of domestic violence.

However, if the military was to prosecute and/or drum out everyone guilty of rape or domestic violence there would not be enough trained soldiers to staff the wars.

Plus, a lot has been asked of today's military, rape and domestic violence is the predictable result of overusing the military, and many feel that it is not fair to penalize those individuals for the societal failure which is to put most of the burden of fighting two wars on a very few individuals....not stretching the burden across the collective.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sun 31 Jan, 2010 01:43 pm
@georgeob1,
I've held you in high esteem for many years. It's a bummer to learn you're not the man I thought you were. Misogyny is even uglier than bigotry. Sad
hawkeye10

Sun 31 Jan, 2010 02:11 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
In other words George, now that you no longer measure up to Bills moral standards you are dead to him.

I hope you understand the gravity of the situation.....
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 31 Jan, 2010 02:26 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Our armed forces exist to defend the country.

Would that that were true. Notice all the countries that have sought to invade and control the USA, Britain, France and other imperialist powers.

I know that you're not that willfully blind, Gob, but you sure as hell are that willfully stupid. Your armed forces exist to help American business plunder the wealth of other nations.
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 31 Jan, 2010 02:31 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
I've held you in high esteem for many years.

No, you've been sucking up to Gob for many years when it was perfectly clear to you that he is not much in the morality department. He defends and supports those who murder, rape and torture.

That's not a person Occom Bill thinks is worthy of any esteem. In fact, those are the very people that you, Bill, think are demented pieces of ****.
georgeob1

Sun 31 Jan, 2010 04:01 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
You are confusing reservations concerning your unwillingness to question the obviously defective statistics and comparisons at the start of this thread, and your own rather odd insistence that any disagreement with your occasionally hystrerical reactions necessarily constitutes approval of rape, with misogyny. There is lots of space in betweeen these illogical poles.

However, your judgements are you own... I'll get by.