Predict the NFL Super Bowl Champ. Win Big, Big Prizes*!

Seed

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 09:07 pm
@CowDoc,
Oh I had 59 I believe
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:10 pm
WHO DAT BA-BEE!!!!!
Seed

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:15 pm
@JPB,
I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win.
JPB

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:20 pm
@Seed,
Laughing ya you right!

What a great game! No one handed them this one. They won it outright by playing hard, staying focused, forcing the turnover, and holding them defensively when they had too.

WOOT!!!! Lots of screaming, cheering, and a tear or two where I was watching.
Seed

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:22 pm
@JPB,
That on side kick threw them for a loop!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:24 pm
It sure did. They didn't get anywhere near Manning all night. Just great defense to hold them to 17 points. Breese wasn't any slouch either!
Seed

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:32 pm
@JPB,
Didn't he beat his record for most completions in a game?
JPB

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:39 pm
@Seed,
Not sure -- I know he tied the Super Bowl record with 32 completions. I don't know how that compares to his personal best.

MAN, that was fun!!!

An awful lot of people just won an awful lot of money from the odds-makers.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 05:12 am
@JPB,
Code: 1 2 3 4 T
NEW ORLEANS (16-3) 0 6 10 15 31
INDIANAPOLIS (16-3) 10 0 7 0 17

the colts did an amazing impression of this year's patriots play in the 2nd half, replete with
lack-luster defensive effort, poor clock management and back-breaking interceptions...
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:41 am
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the
TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win.

Good one
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 09:38 am
@JPB,
Quote:

I must admit JP that I had thought there was a possibility of that on witnessing a few rather sloppy moves in the game but I wouldn't, as an outsider, have felt it right to mention it.

Do you know if the bets were placed at the end of the 1st quarter?
engineer

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 09:54 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Quote:
Barbwire or steel?

Polar bear pit of course!

How do you say "I surrender" in Japanese?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 10:53 am
http://media.nola.com/tpphotos/photo/new-orleans-saints-super-bowl-0d2ed39b84f84438.jpg
JPB

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 10:55 am
@spendius,
No, I don't know, spendi.

Mr B was wondering what the book was back in August for the Saints to win the SB. I imagine the odds were pretty high against.
Gargamel

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 10:56 am
Great game, great story. What more can you ask for?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 11:01 am
Congrats to the Saints! I hate to see my dreams of winning go down in flames, but it was a great game to watch.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 11:12 am
@JPB,
What about the Colt's fan's prayers? Why didn't GOD listen to them?
JPB

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 11:33 am
@maporsche,
I take a more figurative view on that, map. People pray for all sorts of sh!t. I don't buy (nor do I want this thread to become a discussion of) divine intervention. That doesn't mean I take exception to the headline.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 12:14 pm
For those who like to watch the record books:

New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees and Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning were sacked the fewest times (once) in Super Bowl history.Super Bowl records set in Super Bowl XLIV

Highest completion percentage, career (minimum: 30 completions): 82.1, Drew Brees, New Orleans

Most completions, game, both teams: 63, New Orleans (32) vs. Indianapolis (31)

Highest completion percentage, game, both teams: 75.0, New Orleans (82.1) vs. Indianapolis (68.9)

Most field goals, 40-or-more yards, game: 3, Garrett Hartley, N.O.

Oldest player: 42, Matt Stover, Indianapolis

Super Bowl records tied in Super Bowl XLIV

Largest deficit overcome, winning team: 10 points, New Orleans

Most completions, game: 32, Drew Brees, N.O.

Most two-point conversions, game: 1, Lance Moore, N.O.

Most yards, touchdown drive: 96, Indianapolis

Most first downs passing, game, both teams: 32, Indianapolis (16) vs. New Orleans (16)

Fewest rushing attempts, game, both teams: 37, New Orleans (18) vs. Indianapolis (19)

Most completions, game, team: 32, New Orleans

Fewest times sacked, game, team: 0, Indianapolis

Fewest times sacked, game, both teams: 1, Indianapolis (0) vs. New Orleans (1)

Fewest fumbles, game, both teams: 0, Indianapolis vs. New Orleans

Fewest turnovers, game, team: 0, New Orleans

Additional information compiled by Elias Sports Bureau

New Orleans became the first team in NFL history to win three games in which it had trailed by seven-or-more points in one postseason.

Drew Brees finished the game with 10 consecutive completions. That tied the second-longest streak of consecutive completions in one game in Super Bowl history; Joe Montana set the Super Bowl record of 13 consecutive completions in Super Bowl XXIV.

Peyton Manning's total of 333 passing yards in Super Bowl XLIV increased his career postseason total to 5,164 yards and he became the third player to reach 5,000 postseason passing yards. The others: Brett Favre (5,855) and Joe Montana (5,772).

Manning now has eight postseason games passing for 300-or-more yards; he extended his own record with 333 passing yards in Super Bowl XLIV.

Dallas Clark increased his career postseason totals to 64 receptions and 847 receiving yards, breaking the previous records for tight ends: 62 receptions by Jay Novacek and Shannon Sharpe, and 834 receiving yards by Keith Jackson.

source -- The Times-Picayune
spendius

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 12:37 pm
@JPB,
I don't know but I would guess at least 10-1. They were 3-1 when the knockout rounds started.

When I read this-

Quote:

it struck me that it was a mild version of what we call "unusual betting patterns". As it didn't mean anything because an awful lot of people lost an awful lot of money to the odds makers as well, it is in the nature of betting, I assumed you were drawing attention to something suspicious.

I thought it a poor game. The commentators said that an onside kick had never happened in a Superbowl before except in the last quarter. If true, as I assume it is, it bears thinking about.

Another interesting fact emerged. Mr Brees is the same height as myself and is carrying 60lbs of extra weight. When the resident Sky Sports expert on NFL was asked by the newsreader why Mr Brees sported those black marks under his eyes he smirked and said that it might be best to pass on to the next item.

I also noticed that the delivery from the snap to Mr Manning was consistently inefficient. And there was a veritable surfeit of spectacular diving at spaces from which an opponent had recently departed.