Predict the NFL Super Bowl Champ. Win Big, Big Prizes*!

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 08:01 am
Are you ready for some football?
wandeljw

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 09:35 am
@realjohnboy,
In Super Bowl XLI, Peyton Manning and the Colts defeated the Bears 29-17. I predict that the Saints will do much better than the Bears did.

(it hurts me to say that since I am a Bears fan)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 09:56 am
The betting here is 2 gets you 1 for the Colts.

An American expert interviewed on Sky News predicted the score at 30 odd Colts to 21 Saints. How on earth can a second favourite in a 2 horse race be expected to score 21 points. A 2 to 1 second favourite in our football would not be expected to score at all.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:07 am
Both teams, Spendi, are committed to the passing game and have relatively porous defenses. Neither team, like many in the NFL, runs the ball anymore. Third and 2 to go for a 1st down? Expect a pass.
The NFL believes that fans want to see lots of scoring and has structured the rules accordingly.
Is it true, by the way, that your city of Portsmouth has now made the application for a taxi license available in braille?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:45 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Both teams, Spendi, are committed to the passing game and have relatively porous defenses. Neither team, like many in the NFL, runs the ball anymore. Third and 2 to go for a 1st down? Expect a pass.
The NFL believes that fans want to see lots of scoring and has structured the rules accordingly.
Is it true, by the way, that your city of Portsmouth has now made the application for a taxi license available in braille?

This is a little exaggerated - the Saints have a pretty good running game and will use it.

Cycloptichorn
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:47 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I make a lot of **** up, Cyclo. Doing actual research is too much trouble.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 12:21 pm
is it over yet?

who won
Seed

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 12:23 pm
@djjd62,
Hasn't started yet lol
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 12:23 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:

Well--it is a navy town. They will be in a lower division next season.

From what I've seen the USA will have one of the best goalkeepers at the World Cup. And he never gets injured. 207 consecutive PL games. That's special.

He's from Lakewood, Ohio.

Seed

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 12:25 pm
@spendius,
that still didn't answer the obvious question RJB was trying to ask.
spendius

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 12:26 pm
@Seed,
I don't expect everyone to twig my witticisms Seed.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 01:02 pm
@spendius,
"twig?"
Seed

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 01:12 pm
@realjohnboy,
break the wrist and walk away. My advice to you
spendius

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 03:00 pm
@Seed,
Bearing in mind that the principle of producing spectacular effects with varying degrees of effort is one with a spectrum, I feel quite safe in saying that NFL is considerably more to the infra end than is our form of the game. One regularly sees NFL players congratulating each other and taking the adulation of the crowd for moves which pass without notice here.

I daresay Tico has performed many a possession winning tackle without earning a hug because the game will not have stopped and nor will it allow him the time for such sentimentalities. It is expected anyway that such tackles he brings off are his job on the field and thus, as with power-line repairers, a matter of course, and are not the occasion for any mutual congratulations. If Tico fails to get himself 70 yards up the pitch to finish off the move his tackle started he might well be termed a wanker.

Possibly it derives from parental approval of infants banging on a pan with a baking spoon. One assumes that the Pavlovian reward for the little monster is the parental approval and for the parents the satisfaction of seeing their offspring performing feats of the utmost banality.

I might also say, as I have said before, that an international scientific survey of coital perseverence, which is an exemplar of spectacular effects, showed the US in the infra position (low energy), checking in at 7 minutes. It is a moot point whether that is to be commended or condemned but Steve Martin, in The Man with Two Brains, certainly seemed to think it is the former assuming he wasn't indulging his ironic aptitudes which is unlikely for obvious reasons. It is a moot point for other reasons as well which it is probably better if I refrain from elucidating.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 03:33 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I daresay Tico has performed many a possession winning tackle without earning a hug because the game will not have stopped and nor will it allow him the time for such sentimentalities. It is expected anyway that such tackles he brings off are his job on the field and thus, as with power-line repairers, a matter of course, and are not the occasion for any mutual congratulations.

True that.

Quote:
If Tico fails to get himself 70 yards up the pitch to finish off the move his tackle started he might well be termed a wanker.

Not true. If I were to do that, I daresay my teammates would be gobsmacked.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 05:05 pm
The first scene was good. The helmeted huddle chanting the "up-an'-at-'em" Maori war chant looking not all that unlike the characters in a microscope video of sperms battering at the defences of a pharmaceutically untreated egg.

They certainly are frightening.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 05:29 pm
Good evening everyone from the A2K NFL studio in Virginia. I am sitting at my desk, wearing a nice shirt and tie. Like all anchorpersons seated behind a desk, I am totally naked from the waist down. Did you ever wonder why the "weather girl" is always giggling? Now you know.
Wandeljw, Seed, Alex, JPB and Tsars have the Saints tonight.
Cyclo, McGentrix, Maporsche, Liontamerx, Ehbeth, Spendius, Region, Jespah, Edgar, Gargamel and Johnboy have the Colts.

Tsars expects it to be a high scoring game. 83 points combined. Maporsche says 78 followed by Cyclo and McGentrix at 73. All have Indy.
JPB, meanwhile, projects only 38 points will be scored in total, with the Saints getting more. Ehbeth and Gargamel predict 41 and have the Colts.
We are almost ready to go!
spendius

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 05:33 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
prope res una,
Solaque, quae possit facere ac servara beatum.

It's from Horace's Epistles and he's so famous that his words have not yet died out.

I'm afraid that is the way my strict Catholic education fucked my head up.

What's up with using a drone to get in the end-zone?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 05:41 pm
@realjohnboy,
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YG0SWduSgvg/SYIMSCpcinI/AAAAAAAAA8g/wUngV72VeUk/s320/chickenwings.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 05:52 pm
And coming up the rear - Beetlebaum.
0 Replies