Predict the NFL Super Bowl Champ. Win Big, Big Prizes*!

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:48 pm
@Seed,
Both Indy and N.O. play their home games in domed stadiums, I think.
Seed

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:49 pm
@realjohnboy,
I don't know about Indy but I am sure N.O does. Isn't Miami open to the forces?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:59 pm
I predict that the Steelers will beat the Colts in the AFC championship game and then go on to trounce the Saints in the Superbowl! The Colts are NOT in the superbowl! The Steelers ARE! They ARE!!!! AAAAAHHHHH!!!!

<runs away crying>
Seed

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:02 pm
@kickycan,
I heard the Steelers are coming in at half time to take over.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:28 pm
(Kickycan started this whole NFL thing on A2K years ago. I have never forgiven him for that.)
So the NFL rolled over - utterly- on the trademark issue. The fleur-di-lis and the "Who dat?" phrase do not belong to them, they conceded, wiping a whole lot of egg off their face.
Their only objection now, they say, is if merchandise is presented as an "...official NFL or Saints product." Whatever that means.
Seed

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:29 pm
@realjohnboy,
Well that's good to see. Wonder what made them give up. I doubt it was because they wanted to be nice.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:43 pm
@Seed,
The NFL was probably on soggy legal ground in claiming that the rights to the fleur-di-lis and the phrase "Who Dat?" belonged to them.
Beyond that, the NFL came across as being a big bully against a bunch of small merchants still recovering from Katrina. The NFL behaved very badly and deserved the slap-down they got.
Seed

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:48 pm
@realjohnboy,
I don't know. I have a hard time believing that the merchants are still recovering from katrina. I know this is probably a false outlook to have. But the fact that FEMA handed out checks to those who lost something in the hurricane means that that money was put back into the economy. The individuals might be hurting, but not the economy. Though I know that the economy in general all over is hurting.
JPB

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:21 pm
@realjohnboy,
They also object to television screens in public viewing areas...

"New Orleans Saints Super Bowl screening plans confront 'control issue' with NFL" No big screen TVs allowed!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:22 pm
@Seed,
This isn't the time or place, Seed, but I'd be happy to discuss this with you elsewhere. It happens to be a particular passion of mine.
farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:27 pm
@realjohnboy,
NOW, lets get working on this registration of the name "Superbowl" .
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 10:28 pm
@JPB,
Feel free to send me a PM Smile always willing to learn.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 07:28 am
tears again

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 03:29 pm
@Seed,
You honestly think that FEMA checks from the gov't actually restored the economy of N'awlins from the damage from Hurricane Katrina? Are you aware the Hurricane Rita also flooded the N.O. (and lower 9th ward)? Hiow many of those people who evacuated N.O. you think actually moved back?

How many were able to relocate again?

I know for a fact (Google 2000 census figures) that a fair number of these people were signifcantly below the poverty level as it was before the storm(s). Those that weren't below the poverty level before they left, may have fallen to that level once they moved.

Many stayed put (in places like Hosuton) and found jobs and became part of the fabric of where they settled. Merchants who re-established businesses back in NO, did so at a signifcant risk.

The 2006 estimated population of the city was 223,388 - down about minus 54% from Census of 2000 - pop 484,674.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAFFPopulation?_event=Search&_name=new+orleans&_state=&_county=new+orleans&_cityTown=new+orleans&_zip=&_sse=on&_lang=en&pctxt=fph

2008 311,853
2000 484,674
1990 496,938
Ragman

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 03:39 pm
@Ragman,
Back on topic, however I may wish the winners to be the Saints sentimentally (for the benefit of the city of N'awlins), I see Peyton Manning and the Colts as the winners. I think it'll be a competive game and I'll be glued to the game (at home).
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 07:52 pm
I note that at the end of next season (2010-2011), the contracts for QB's Peyton Manning (Colts) and Tom Brady (Patriots) will be up for renewal.
The highest paid QB in the NFL (according to one scoring) is Carson Palmer (Bengals) at $16.7M per year followed closely by Eli Manning (Giants).
Numbers being thrown around for Peyton Manning, 33 years old, are $20M per year for, perhaps, 4 years plus a $50M signing bonus.
We should have eaten more Wheaties.
Seed

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 07:54 pm
@realjohnboy,
well **** a duck. I knew I should have taken up football instead of baseball
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 07:56 pm
@Seed,
I did cross-country running, Seed. Not a lot of money in that.
Seed

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 07:58 pm
@realjohnboy,
Man if only I knew about the big pay days that could have awaited me!
farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 02:26 am
@Seed,
I was reading a note in an emergency medicine net site that the helmets presently in use in the NFL may be responsible for the number of concussions and , ultimately, the rise of trauma related early onset dementia among retired fooball players.