Predict the NFL Super Bowl Champ. Win Big, Big Prizes*!

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 12:54 pm
I went from loving/hating the Oilers (perpetual losers) to loving the Tennessee Titans when they moved. I also have always respected Green Bay for their toughness and their community-owned team; I am trying to become something of a fan of the Niners and the Raiders now that I live out here, but Jesus Christ, they make it tough!

Cycloptichorn
spendius

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
A diehard Accrington Stanley fan would laugh at such affectations Cyclo. Being a real fan comes from mother's milk.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:16 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
They don't tolerate stupid behavior.

Goodness gracious me!! You won't get very far in the World Cup with a sanctimonious attitude like that.

Do the Steelers recruit from the seats of the Higher Learning then?

I think, Spendi, that "Higher Learning" has nothing to do with it. Rather, it boils down to some kind of personal code of ethics - which folks of any level of education can have. It is not good to have your name show up on an arrest list on Sunday morning after a barroom brawl or an incident of spousal abuse on Saturday night, just as it is not good for some Harvard educated suit on Wall Street to get convicted of some investment scam bilking widows and orphans.
Art Rooney (Steelers) didn't tolerate stupid behavior or inflated egos.
I am sticking with that. I am sticking with the Steelers as opposed to teams that accept thuggish behavior.
JPB

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:20 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I used to LOVE the raiders back in the bad-boy days. Otis Sistrunk, Ray Guy, Daryle Lamonica, Art Shell, Coach Madden! Great, great team!!!
djjd62

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:23 pm
interestingly enough, the only NFL game i've ever watched was this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXIII

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/14/Super_Bowl_XXIII.svg/250px-Super_Bowl_XXIII.svg.png
Cincinnati Bengals San Francisco 49ers
(AFC) (NFC)
16 20

On January 26, 2006, NFL.com ranked this game number 1 on its list of the top 10 Super Bowls of all time.

i've never watched any CFL games (and i'm a canadian)
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:01 pm
Go Jets!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:05 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

A diehard Accrington Stanley fan would laugh at such affectations Cyclo. Being a real fan comes from mother's milk.

Yeah, that's my relationship with Tennessee Titans (they originally were from my hometown of Houston). However, I've lived on the West Coast now, and as others have mentioned it's difficult to watch football and see teams other than the local ones.

In fact all football programming out here ******* sucks. In Texas football is so much more popular, that the TV programming shows as many games as possible. Out here I'm lucky to get 4 games on a Sunday. Next year I'm going to have to throw down and buy the package deal from my cable company.

So, to help me acclimate, I'm trying to spend time enjoying matches by the local teams. We are trying to stay here for a while (Berkeley may be the most ideal place to live in America for my no-car lifestyle, period) so I might as well get used to them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:07 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
go jets, go vikings

go jets
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:08 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
interestingly enough, the only NFL game i've ever watched was this one

Yep. Talk about being lucky about seeing one of the greatest football games of all time. I remember watching it as well. Was a high schooler back then.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:13 pm
We are off and running! You will recall that the Colts sacrificed their 16-0 season in order to rest their starters. Against the Jets. That was - quoting the Jets - disrespectful.
They meet again.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
That was indeed a marvelous game. We had around twenty people in the house, half rooting for the Niners and half for the Bengals. We had two TV sets in the house, and the two groups migrated to different sets with cheering from opposite ends of the house depending on the outcome of the varied plays. An interesting evening, to be sure.
0 Replies

Miz Cowdoc

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:17 pm
@JPB,
They were my favorite team also.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
i had no idea what was going on, still don't, football is a mystery to me
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:22 pm
17 of us - unanimously - have the Colts. If the Colts lose, Rockhead will need to extend the losers' bench to handle 11 more butts.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:35 pm
Colts bolt!
CowDoc

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 03:35 pm
@realjohnboy,
The Colts deserve to lose after what they did a month ago. I only wish it could be to a team other than one from New York!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 03:39 pm
@CowDoc,
(whispers, "go, Jets")
spendius

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 03:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Come on Colts.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 03:52 pm
@realjohnboy,
You said "stupid" Johnny. Whose talking about wife abuse and brawling in bars? It wasn't me.

And as for inflated egos--well--I don't think anybody, and I mean anybody, can get themselves up for these high level pro sports unless they have an over-inflated ego never mind an itsy-bitsy inflated one. And crowds enjoy them being flaunted after a good play. As do the sportsmen.

At the end where there's no money it does look a bit stupid to objective observers. Tico's in plaster isn't he? Probably not for the first time.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 04:21 pm
@realjohnboy,
Me:

Minnesotan and Vikings fan from early kid-dom. My dad was a rabid fan, and created the monster you see before you today. Very Happy Since the Vikings were so consistently pitiful though, I liked the Bears as a backup, un-pitiful team, especially the Superbowl Shuffle-era Bears.

I moved from MN to WI for college and remained a defiant Viking fan there for a few years. The Packers grew on me though, and I had just started to convert when Brett Favre turned up and completed the process. (Quelle irony, eh? First he was the instrument of Vikings-to-Packers allegiance, now he's the instrument of Packers-to-Vikings allegiance.)

I had been a diehard fan for several years when they won the Super Bowl in '97. Nirvana. I got Packers stock as a Christmas present in 96 I think. (As in, *I* am an owner. Hell yeah.)

Moved to CA and remained a rabid Packers fan throughout (no CA teams made inroads).

Moved to IL and had some residual affection for the Bears but the Packers were still my team.

Moved to OH and the Packers remained my team. (Bengals and Browns = Boring.)

Then Brett signed with the Vikings.

Not that the Packers are NOT my team... but I'm sure rooting for the Vikings.