Predict the NFL Super Bowl Champ. Win Big, Big Prizes*!

George

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 03:48 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

That shoot out was pretty nice, wasn't it George.

Usually I hate shootouts, but a chip shot and a spin-around backhander,
both scoring? Yowsa!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 06:06 pm
On the Pick The Super Bowl Game Winner, I have a bunch of tiebreakers built in that should decide a winner.
The Points game? I must admit I haven't thought about it that much. The cool thing is that I get to make up the rules and folks rarely quibble. I will come up with something before next week.
Any ideas?
spendius

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 06:17 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yeah--10 points for predicting a Superbowl finalist and 20 extra for predicting the winner.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:26 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

I'll be the first one to tell it all:

AFC wild card games:
New England over Baltimore
NY Jets over Cincinatti (the Bengals have long lost their momentum)

NFC wild card games:
Green Bay over Arizona (may Tico cry)
Dallas over Philadelphia (the Eagles are Cowboy clients)

AFC playoffs:
Indianapolis over Jets (who'll have to face the starters all game long)
San Diego over New England

NFC playoffs:
Green Bay over New Orleans (a question of momentum, again) This was subsequently changed to New Orleans over GB
Dallas over Minnesota (reason says otherwise, but it's the only way to prevent a Packer meltdown against Favre in the Metrodome)

AFC championship game:
San Diego over Indianapolis
Green Bay over Dallas (Romo will finally be back to his normal self)

Superbowl:
San Diego over Green Bay (heart says otherwise, but the Chargers are currently the best team in American football)

From all of that I get that you chose Indy, San Diego, New Orleans, and Dallas as the winners of week two. They weren't the right match ups, but they're the right teams. rjb will have to rule on giving you four points for this week and carrying New Orleans and Indianapolis into next week. But when you changed to New Orleans ove GB, you still have GB going into the championship round (I'm so confused).

The bottom line is neither of your SB teams are still in the running but you have two teams in the running for next week (assuming rjb gives the nod to take the game mis-matches)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:29 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

fbaezer wrote:

I Hate You, Tico. Evil or Very Mad

Rjb, I change my predictions:

NEW ORLEANS
Minnesota
Indianapolis
San Diego

Didn't that count?

AH -- this can stand alone for this past weekend, but then we have nothing for the next three games, right?
fbaezer

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 08:04 pm
@JPB,
JETS-VIKES

VIKES
JPB

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 09:14 pm
@fbaezer,
This is going to be one of those times that I'm glad I'm not running this thing this year.
CowDoc

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 10:43 pm
@JPB,
I think I can figure it out before Sunday.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 10:46 pm
@CowDoc,
If it would be easier, fb and me can take a walk into the a2k woods...

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 02:34 pm
@Rockhead,
After further review...here is the ruling from the official.
FB chose all the way through on 1/4...Wild Card Games (played on 1/9-1/10), Divisional Play Off (1/16-1/17), Championship (1/24) and Super Bowl (2/7).
He went 2-2 in the Wild Card (= 2 points).
On 1/11 he changed his picks for the Divisional games. That was fine as the rest of us were just starting the picking all the way through thing. He indicated a winner in each game but did have the matchups wrong. I go by who he chose to win (and I offer that as proof as to how difficult it would have been to pick all the way through before the Wild Card games...not knowing what the matchups were going to be).
He went 3-1 for 6 more points = 8.
His most recent picks for the Championship games and Super Bowl came too late (1/18?) to be included. So he is stuck with his original picks of San Diego and Green Bay this week and San Diego in the Super Bowl.
Fbaezer goes to the bench, sits down, hurls his helmet to the ground and in his finest NY accent snarls "We was robbed!"
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 03:01 pm
WE WAS ROBBED (Why didn't rjb nag by PM, as usual, explaining that the rules now included an all-the-way-to-the-Superbowl prognostication?)

+ WE FAULT OUR BIG MOUTH.

We shall have a walk with Rockhead through the A2K woods.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 03:18 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:
WE WAS ROBBED (Why didn't rjb nag by PM, as usual, explaining that the rules now included an all-the-way-to-the-Superbowl prognostication?)

+ WE FAULT OUR BIG MOUTH.

We shall have a walk with Rockhead through the A2K woods.

You may have been robbed, FB, but a whopping 8 points does not qualify you for inclusion into the very exclusive Group "W" bench, my friend.

That being said, you may walk through the woods with whomever you choose. Will you be holding hands?
spendius

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 04:14 pm
@Ticomaya,
I noticed during the Chargers/Jets fiasco the commentators discussing the athleticism of a wide receiver in a manner that suggested that athleticism was something unusual.

Did you see the Manchester derby tonight Tico? Athleticism is taken for granted in games like that. 95 minutes of constant athleticism was on show.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 04:27 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I noticed during the Chargers/Jets fiasco the commentators discussing the athleticism of a wide receiver in a manner that suggested that athleticism was something unusual.

Perhaps you misunderstood. If you are a starting wide receiver in the NFL, you are a superb athlete, likely with world class speed and/or hands.

Quote:
Did you see the Manchester derby tonight Tico? Athleticism is taken for granted in games like that. 95 minutes of constant athleticism was on show.

Didn't see it. (I have "regular" cable tv -- no fancy foreign sport shows.) City won, I see. Very cool.
spendius

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 06:05 pm
@Ticomaya,
I presume you are defining "superb athlete" on the basis of being faster than those he needs to outpace. The fastest granny to the bargains at the January Sales sprint for example.

As for "hands"--you must be joking. I've seen some shocking fumbles this last few weeks.

NFL looks to me to be a religious ceremonial dedicated to the glory of American manhood. Like Smackdown.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:28 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I presume you are defining "superb athlete" on the basis of being faster than those he needs to outpace.

No, I'm not. If you are a starting cornerback in the NFL, you are a superb athlete, likely with world class speed.

Quote:
As for "hands"--you must be joking. I've seen some shocking fumbles this last few weeks.

I've seen a lot of errant shots from English Premier League footballers. Fair for me to presume they suck at shooting?

Quote:
NFL looks to me to be a religious ceremonial dedicated to the glory of American manhood. Like Smackdown.

As I recall, you find Test Match Cricket to be the pinnacle of athleticism. I think that puts your observation into its proper perspective.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 08:32 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Do I see you, trying to take a piss at Football? And suggest that Soccer somehow has better athletes?

I guess one just has to look at how the players react to collisions to see who the tough ones really are. One group flops on the ground and pretends to be hurt at the slightest hint of contact, the others... well, you know.

Cycloptichorn
spendius

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:54 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Auberon Waugh liked to say that the more a house guest talked about his honesty the faster he counted the spoons.

Which is a general principle in psychology.

The more a man talks about his toughness the more of a softie baby he must be.

I mean to say Cyclo-- what's all the padding for? It's like swaddling clothes. Bungee jumping in safety harnesses. Faking being tough.

32 teams each carrying squads of, say, 60 players is almost 2,000. And the size they have to be disqualifies at least 95% of the male population. With facts like that there is no chance of going anywhere near world-class athleticism. There are only about 10 million men in the suitable age range. Of those the size requirements knock out all but about 100,000. And other factors will reduce that figure even further. At best to 50,000. The idea that 2,000 of those are "world-class" in athleticism is preposterous. Your great swimmer has feet like flippers. Does that make him "athletic"? Your female tennis stars can hardly be classed as typical girls.

Take jockeys as an example. How many guys can do 8 stone? Not many. But jockeys are needed. So train all the small guys. Or the ones who can take the training. Is training cheating. In war all is fair and thus training is justified. But sport is not war.

Whenever I made a 50 break at snooker in the club I was always accused of having a secret snooker table at home on which it was claimed I had been practising and thus giving myself an advantage over the guys who didn't practice. I didn't have a table at home of course and I don't believe in practicing. Is practicing a lot athleticism. I think not.

And another thing--the time actually performing in a game. And bringing on different players for different plays. The time playing is derisory. Time outs, two minute warnings, referee protection, huddles, words from the sponsor, turnovers etc-- it just looks a bit fishy. And all the tough talk gives it away. Gladiators with rubber swords it looks like.

Wayne Rooney ran like a demon for 95 minutes last night and was still going strong at the end.

The marines in Afghanistan are tough. Bob Dylan is tough. I'm not having play-acting stealing their limelight. NFL is a social event. Come Dancing. Tough Guys Don't Dance--Norman Mailer.

It's good fun though I'll admit.

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 07:58 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Wayne Rooney ran like a demon for 95 minutes last night and was still going strong at the end.

The fact that Rooney wasn't sent off before it ended is amazing in itself. The marathon runner who can run farther than Rooney is a better athlete using your standard.

Quote:
The marines in Afghanistan are tough. Bob Dylan is tough. I'm not having play-acting stealing their limelight. NFL is a social event. Come Dancing. Tough Guys Don't Dance--Norman Mailer.

I would have no qualms about stepping onto the pitch and mixing it up with Man. U. for 95 minutes. I doubt I would get injured, and might injure someone else. But there is no way I'd get onto the field to take a handoff and try to run it up the middle. I'd get pancaked, and they'd be calling for the cart.

But you have it wrong (just as you did with cricket) ... it's those who can stand to listen to Dylan who are tough.

spendius wrote:
I mean to say Cyclo-- what's all the padding for? It's like swaddling clothes. Bungee jumping in safety harnesses. Faking being tough.

0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 09:28 am
@spendius,
Quote:
I don't believe in practicing. Is practicing a lot athleticism. I think not.

I think that is a load of crap. If you want to do anything well it takes practice and repetition. If you think any sports team just goes out there and does what it does without practicing you're a fool. But you watch sports. So you must know that teams practice. Even soccer teams.