A2K Running Club

jespah

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 10:59 am
@Region Philbis,
46:51; shaved 4:10 off my time. If the trend continues, I'll finish the July Artesani Park run before I even start it.

Saw Thomas; he ran the course in 33:33, AKA halfway to the mark of the Devil. He (Thomas, not the Devil) also stripped for me.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 02:20 pm
@Region Philbis,
Sorry I missed you, Region. Get well soon!

I ran an okay time today: 33:33, or half the Devil's Number. It predicts a Marathon time of 5 hours 22 minutes, just a trifling slower than my personal best so far. Meanwhile, my near-term goal is for the Scotland Run 10 k in Central Park two weeks from now. I want to run it in 66:66, which superstitious Americans write as 67 minutes and 6 seconds.

Stripping for Jespah was much fun, but not as nuch as it would have been without the freezing temperatures and the wind gusts.
jespah

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 03:20 pm
@Thomas,
This is why there's no dining al fresco at Chippendale's.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2013 07:59 am
Went ahead and registered for my first run (3.5 miles) yesterday: JP Morgan Corporate Challenge which will take place in Central Park on Wednesday, June 12, 2013.

First I never ran more then 5k though I'm not worried about that added distance considering how much time there will be between now and then. Second, I'm too dependent on the speedometer and distance meter on treadmills for pacing myself. How can I break this habit and pace myself without the need to spend several hundreds of dollars for a GPS based sports watch?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2013 08:46 am
@tsarstepan,
3.5 miles is only 5.23 k so .23 k re added distance. I'll wait for others to answer re pacing. That was a distance, about 4 miles, I used to (years ago now) run routinely, and I always started out slowish and increased spead, such as it was, as I warmed up. Anyway, see what others say and have fun - I'll be surprised if you don't enjoy it a lot.

I just looked it up - .23 k = 755 feet; the average new york city avenue block is 900 feet.
So, I don't think the distance is as relevant as just your getting used to the way races work re moving in groups and any uphill downhill stuff, hydration, and all that.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2013 09:08 am
@tsarstepan,
My first race was the Corporate Challenge here, in '09. It was a large race (and I bet yours will be, too), so be aware that you'll be handling other people in addition to your own time. I don't mean a big thing, more like not stepping on them, or going around them. Just like with cars, head to the right if you are slower than the group.

A June race can be very warm. I own a fuel belt and I love it (and I don't care how dorky it may look). RP just holds a bottle, or uses a hand canteen. Dress as if you were dressing for weather that was 20 degrees F warmer than the real outside temperature.

For me, it took a little over an hour but I mainly walked rather than jogged, but was very, very pleased that I didn't have to stop, as I saw others did. Came out of it hooked on racing.

Have fun!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2013 10:43 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
How can I break this habit and pace myself without the need to spend several hundreds of dollars for a GPS based sports watch?

yay on registering!

I'd suggest you start run/walking outside asap - there are many good planned routes online where you can track distance/time and get a personal sense of the pacing you want to set/maintain.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2013 11:12 am
@ehBeth,

or better yet -- get a map of the corporate challenge course and start running it.

i did that over the winter -- practiced on a local 5k course at least once a week (weather permitting)...
ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2013 11:18 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

or better yet -- get a map of the corporate challenge course and start running it.

http://www.jpmorganchasecc.com/events.php?page=maps&city_id=6

http://www.jpmorganchasecc.com/cities/new%20york/images/NYCCourseMap.gif
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2013 08:25 pm
Run the course.
but
First, run the course in bits.
~
Cut across the 102nd roadway. (cuts off about a mile)
~
Run the course backwards. You'll run up Cat Hill. Good practice for when you actually do run up and over Great Hill. Same deal, go over 102nd roadway.
~
Start the course up by the reservior on the West Side. Go up and over Great Hill and then double back on the 102nd roadway and back to the reservior.
~
do the Great Hill circle. You start at 102nd street and run up Great Hill and back to 102nd. It's only about a mile or so.
Then you do it again.
You keep doing it until you start to laugh about how easy it is to run up Great Hill (because it is. It's really not that big a hill.)
~~
OR
just trot the route. All of it. Look at your watch at each of the turns. Wait a day. Do it again. Try to match the times you saw the first time.
Then, a day later, do it again
and again (day between) until you are mad with boredom.
Then run it faster.

the more important thing is get off the fricking treadmill. You cannot replicate running on a roadway.......run on the road.....

Joe(as soon as I am well I will run with you.)Nation

PS: we also have to prepare you for running with about 5000 other people on the same road. (It's fun but all those feet can be a pain in your ass.)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 08:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
I'm too dependent on the speedometer and distance meter on treadmills for pacing myself. How can I break this habit and pace myself without the need to spend several hundreds of dollars for a GPS based sports watch?

Use a heart-rate monitor! I managed to finish two marathons despite my obesity because I religiously pace myself with one. According to a quick Amazon search, the most basic models start at around $30--40. Would that be acceptable to you? If so, you could just pick one, run with it on the treadmill at your favorite speed, and check which heart rate that corresponds to. Then you could run outdoors while pacing yourself at that heart rate.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 08:38 am
At The Widget Factory, we're putting together a team to do the Boston
Corporate Challenge on June 20. I've joined up. My goal: back before dark.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 12:57 pm
@George,

i'll be there with a throng (46 at last head-count) of co-workers as well...
Ragman

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 01:30 pm
@Region Philbis,
Wait, you're going to run in a thong? That takes real balls!
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 02:11 pm
@Ragman,
<thud>
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 08:50 am
Lately, I have to struggle just to keep my pace under ten minute miles.
When I was more in shape for running, I could train at about 8:30.
I did 9:45 for 3 and a quarter miles yesterday and looked like hell after.
I've got some work to do.
jespah

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 11:05 am
@Ragman,
It's sequined.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 11:15 am
@jespah,
I am frightened by how googleable they are ...

http://www.timmyssecret.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/27a624ae3ec485fd2c31094437d3723b/s/1/s1062.jpg

https://secure751.hostgator.com/~palmer72/dancewearexpress.com/images/444-020A.jpg

http://ifashionwarehouse.com/images/products/large/Candyman/seo/Men's_Black_Sequin_Pouch_Thong_.jpg

(can I make a sports/health thread NSFW ? Mr. Green )
jespah

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 12:10 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I am frightened by how googleable they are ...

(can I make a sports/health thread NSFW ? Mr. Green )

Those would chafe. As for the NSFW thing ... that gave me a laugh today, thank you.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 01:51 pm
@George,
Quote:
I did 9:45 for 3 and a quarter miles yesterday and looked like hell after.
I've got some work to do.

And those of us sitting at the tables on the sidewalk remark as you pass by "'e looks fit for nowt girls". (A flutter of giggling usually ensues.)