A2K Running Club

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 09:35 am
@Joe Nation,

thanx guys...
Quote:
I recommend you have a little snack of something, a banana or half an apple, about an hour before doing your late afternoon run.
ate a banana 45 minutes before-hand... maybe i'll have 2 next time...

Thomas wrote:
Perhaps you want to try starting out slower. It should help with both your legs and your cardiovascular system. Also, could you take your better half's Belt of Liquids with you? (Or whatever they call it. I just like "Belt of Liquids" for its superhero touch.) Nice job on the 1:26. I didn't race my first one that fast.
that's my problem -- i'm like a jack-rabbit outta the gate...
had a bottle of water with me, so no need for the jespah 'fuel belt'...

i think the heat is what did me in.
after i sat for a while, there was less sun, and it had cooled down...
i'll definitely pick a cooler/overcast day for my next go...
George

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 11:35 am
A few more 10Ks and you can start training for the half-marathon.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 12:30 pm
@Region Philbis,
You are being made to sound like a patient RP.

Feeling light-headed (dizzy) and problems in the other extremities are definite warning signs.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 12:32 pm
@spendius,

thanx, doc...
Ragman

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 12:52 pm
@Region Philbis,
In writing this I'm just replaying my early younger days of running so hopefully some of this might help. My hope in replaying this it is useful. I know that you've been running for quite awhile so you probably have learned this stuff abouty efficient pacing and heat etc. pretty well by now.

This all makes me recall my jogging days back to when I a young pup of 40-45 yrs of age as a very slow-but-steady-runner. When I first started out with longer and longer distances fun-runs, I learned to suppress the desire to start out fast....especially in the hot weather.

My engine many times would shut right down over 80 deg temps and also with Boston's high humidity sometimes regardless of how much I drank. For those longer runs, I ate my bananas and Fig Newtons but learned that the diet the night before was also pretty important to avoid cramps and running out of gas.

I learned to never add any new foods. I learned the hard way about trying something new like Gatoraid during a race. I never tried anything during a race that I wasn't used to. I was better off with plain water.

I spent many weeks training for the fun-runs learning what pace was good for me and sticking to it. It turned out that when I ran more than 2 miles, the most efficient pace was around 7.5 to 8 minute per mile. However, when running for more than 30 minutes, it moved down to around 8:30 per mile. The good thing about those organized fun-runs...as you get the mile markers you can figure out where your pace was from the splits.

Key for me in the fun-run was focusing for the first mile pace at the pre-selected time (say 8:20 for the first mile) regardless. When I did this right, being as consistant as possible at each mile marker would often gain me 5 - 10 minutes when I ran a 10k race.

When the start line was a little crowded I would move out to get out of all the traffic but then afteward I'd settle down after the first quarter mile. If I had any gas left in the tank, I'd pick up the pace about 10% in the half mile or the last mile.

Well it was fun remembering.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 12:59 pm
@Region Philbis,
I'm in a no win situation RP. There's nothing in this for me. I just get glared at and cold shouldered.

Medical advice, as I understand it, is that too much exercise is as bad as no exercise. Enough to make you pant a bit. Once or twice a day.

Carrying jespah across the threshold should do the trick. And you have all the equipment you need for that without going to the sport's shop.

Anybody encouraging me to run 10 k in any weather after being told about my dizzy spells and numb extremities I would assume had an insurance policy out on me.

What's your diet like?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 01:01 pm
Heh....when I was training for my first Tulsa Run (1978?) a friend of mine who had done the race before said "Be prepared. If you go with the crowd for the first mile, you will run your fastest mile ever."
I didn't know what the hell he was talking about.
On race day I got in the crowd (there were no corrals then) and headed out after the gun went off.
I had been training to run about an 8 minute mile pace....as we approached the first mile post the caller was yelling out the times;;;;;;;;;;;;
6:42
6:43
6:44

yipes!

Even when trying in training, I had never run that fast.

Joe(I've learned since then)Nation
spendius

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 01:18 pm
@Joe Nation,
It's amazing Joe what mass hysteria contagion can do.

This running thing just has to be about exhibitionism because a second-hand pamphlet about miltary PT exercises will satisfy all health and fitness requirements. And shorts are only needed to avoid looking ridiculous.

Loping along in the wake of 600 women is a reasonable excuse though. I must admit that.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 04:41 pm
Fuel belt (belt of liquids)!
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 07:33 am
Seventy and sunny yesterday. I loped through a lackadaisical 3.8 miles.
Still a little soreness in the styloid process of the fifth metatarsal, but
my new shoes help a lot.

Rhys and I will use treadmills at the gym on this raw rainy morning. The
last couple of Saturday mornings, we went canoeing on the Concord
instead.
jespah

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 07:40 am
@George,
You must be gettin' serious uppah ahms.

Yesterday I walked a 10K. I did not mean to. I just couldn't find our dentist's new office, which is in Mission Hill. As in, it's off the only green line T line that I can't walk to.

Oh, and there are two T stops, both named Longwood.

I am tired.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 07:52 pm
I'm sorry to say I have too much work piled up to make the trip to Boston next Tuesday. May I ask what your next race is? Could be 5k, could be 10k. Who's counting?
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 03:50 am
@Thomas,

next up is the Artesani Park 5k --
Saturday, July 14, 2012 @ 10:00 am
jespah

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 04:42 pm
@Region Philbis,
Last night's 5K - http://www.coolrunning.com/results/12/ma/Jun12_Tuesda_set1.shtml

RP was in 14th place. I was in 32nd. Total number of runnahs = 38.
Thomas

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 05:14 pm
@jespah,
Is Region getting faster? I hate that. . . uhm, I mean, congratulations, Region!
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 05:39 pm
@Thomas,

thankee.

and if it is any consolation, i was over a minute slowah than last year's Tuesdee Night Trawt...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 01:32 pm

doing southie-2-brighton 10k #3 tonight, before the heatwave arrives...
Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 01:49 pm
@Region Philbis,
Happy running!
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 02:54 pm
@Thomas,

thanx.
haven't done much since last tuesday's 5k, so i'm a-rarin' to go...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 05:04 pm

1 hr 7 min

no knee issues, no over-heating...
forgot banana and hand-canteen... didn't matter Smile

R(w00t!)P