YEA!!
Start a running log!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 02:27 pm
Was late getting to the train.
Was late getting to the Park.
Ran like a sumbitch to get to the Start Area. .5 mile in 4:33
Found out race had been delayed a half an hour!
Yea!
Ran Four Mile Race for Japan 39:24 9:51 pace
Wanted to beat 40 minutes, so, cool.
Trotted back to the subway the long way. 1.0 Mile 11:53 pace

then
after breakfast
Walked around Ft. Tryon Park for an hour and half with a friend. 2.2 miles.

Joe(Breakfast was delicious)Nation
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 05:29 pm
@Joe Nation,

we ran a "5k" for charity yesterday.
judging by my time (~4 minutes faster than my PB) i'd say the distance was well short.
i mean -- i felt good running it, but not that good...
Fido

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 05:57 am
@Region Philbis,
Did the Mason 5 k Friday night... 33 something, perhaps my best time...Some guy my age, beat me by over ten minutes... I heard by another guy who ran the race, that some old fart in his 70s beat me by over ten minutes... Good for him.. and how the hell did he do that??? Trotted 4 miles on Sunday... Another 5k on Saturday, and my wife is doing a 10k at the same race...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 07:11 am
@Region Philbis,
Yeah, we both had PR that were a lil too good. I suspect it was around 2.85, 2.95 miles, rather than 3.1. But it was fun, and our finisher medals look like dog tags.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 07:24 am
Congratulations on your PRs, Jespah and Region! :-D

You were at the race, Joe? Sorry I forgot to check. We could have breakfasted (or is that "broken fast") together.

48:11 here. I don't want to overtrain again before the Brooklyn Half, so I'm running all races until then with a heart rate limit of 140. Just another training run, except that it had catering.

And, speaking of catering: Japans governor held a little speech before the start, in which he invited us for some Japanese delicacies. ("Don't worry, they're not radioactive.") They were, in fact, quite good.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 05:29 am
I did the heart of michigan run on Saturday... First time breaking 33 minutes... My wife did the 10K with a friend, and turned in her best time... Heavy rains changed the course, but at no point were there timing checks or even signs telling miles left to run... 5K runners had to circle the capital building, and she expected the same. I caught her at the corner, and said: take a left and there is your finish... She could have poured on the coal a quarter mile back, or more... The 5K course was generally up hill, and if it were not for a little old fart blowing by me about a half mile from the finish I would have felt better... I beat a couple of women in trying catch him, but to be honest, one was wearing a brace on her knee, and the other was using a walker...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 09:56 am
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87211953

Note to self: Train before doing half-marathons in order to avoid having to talk yourself into finishing starting about the seven mile point.

Beautiful day. No wind. Lovely sunny sky. Had three gels, lots of Gatorade available. 6,000 runners, several race-walkers, almost all of whom I got to see as they passed me.

I did not stop, there was no staggering. Just continual movement with several many self-deprecating remarks being made by my inner mind.

The Finish was on the Boardwalk, bands playing, crowds cheering, long lines at Nathan's Hot Dogs. I got an apple, some Gatorade and a bagel while I waited for a friend of mine from Manhattan to join me.

Calls to Thomas' phone went unanswered. Neutral He may never meet A., who is 25 from Spain and a delight.

We went the Russian Restaurant under the Q (The Brighton Beach stop) for breakfast which they did not have, so we bought some pastries from the lady vendor out front and drank coffee and lots of water with lemon.

We walked back down the boardwalk toward the Wonder Wheel.
We promised to ride it the next time we go to Coney Island.
http://www.fadingad.com/blog/brooklyn/coney_island_wonder_wheel01.jpg
Joe(so slow, but got there.)Nation
Thomas

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 03:06 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Note to self: Train before doing half-marathons in order to avoid having to talk yourself into finishing starting about the seven mile point.

I second that. On Friday, I ran on the treadmill at 4.4 mph, the slowest pace that would have let me complete the distance within the time limit. After an hour, I decided my pulse was so high I had no chance to sustain that pace for three hours. That's why I didn't even start yesterday.

I better get my running act together, or I won't be able to run the Queens Half-Marathon at the end of July, either.
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 03:17 pm
@Thomas,
hey.
I was wondering.
After A. and I found eachother, we went to go watch some people finishing after the three hour limit. There were lots of them.
==
Wait a minute. Why are you running the day before a half marathon?
Joe(you know what I think about treadmills. gah)Nation
Thomas

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 03:29 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Wait a minute. Why are you running the day before a half marathon?

Why not? When I'm in shape, it makes no difference if I run the day before or not, especially when it's just one hour. My legs recover quickly. And if I'm not in shape, I prefer to find out in a controlled environment. That's probably my inner biophysicist acting up.
George

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 12:09 pm
Rhys and I are continuing our Saturday morning jogs from the gym. We did
the mile run in 12:21 week before last, which was a significant
improvement. This past Saturday, when we got to the turn-around point,
I said "Take a left." He did and we went about another tenth of a mile
before turning back. His breath control is getting better. He was able to
bitch and moan about it all the way back.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 01:46 pm
@Thomas,
I guess.
I just feel lucky for getting by this one without screwing it up.

Joe(feels like a dodged bullet)Nation
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2011 10:11 am

we are slated to run a couple more 5k's @ artesani park this summer --

Artesani Park 5K -- Sat 07/16/11 @ 9:30am
Cape Shore Foundation 5K -- Sat 08/20/11 @ 10am
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 04:52 am
a year and a half ago, I wrote:
wouldn't mind breaking the 26-min mark this season...
ran a 24:55 in last night's Tuesday Night Trot... Very Happy
don't think it was a coincidence -- i've always had more energy later in the day.
unfortunately race organizer dude said he can only afford to do those once a year...
George

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 06:23 am
@Region Philbis,
awRIGHT!
jespah

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 06:30 am
@George,
Results are here: http://www.coolrunning.com/results/11/ma/Jun14_Tuesda_set1.shtml
George

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 07:27 am
@jespah,
Thanks for the link.
How'd you like the race?
jespah

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 04:30 pm
@George,
If I had shoved but one woman outta my way (if she was between 40 and 49, that is), I coulda been in the top 3 in my division.*

*There were only four women, aged 40 - 49, in my division for the race.
Thomas

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 04:40 pm
@jespah,
Well done, both of you!