I WANT AN ELECTRIC TRUFFLE SLICER FOR CHRISTMAS

Green Witch

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 07:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
No real truffles in truffle oil, just artificial flavoring, but it does work nicely with eggs or sprinkled on pizza.

Williams-Sonoma also sells potato pancakes. You know, the kind of cheap food you can make piles of for about three dollars. WS sells them for $49.95 for 24 pancakes. I think what really amazes me is that someone actually bought them at this price and left a happy review:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/fd466_1/?pkey=cfoods-new|fodnewchd
Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 08:15 pm
OMG, that's appalling, GW. My grandmother made potato pancakes for us as a treat, but she used left-over mashed potatoes. People are such suckers.
djjd62

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 08:17 pm
@Setanta,
it's the crazy trend of high end comfort food
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 08:19 pm
@Green Witch,
I saw that fact about truffle oil on some of the Google searches ... didn't realize that was the general rule of thumb.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/wsimgs/ab/images/dp/products/200950/0012/img81m.jpg

And William Sonoma, though they make the best hot chocolate I've tasted, is pretty much guilty of committing highway robbery on many of the products they sell.
dadpad

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 08:20 pm
truffles from Tasmania.The average price for the truffles was $2,200 per kilogram which included all grades. The extra grade truffles were sold for $3,000 per kilogram
http://www.perigord.com.au/
ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 08:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
Dunno. Maybe there is some real truffle oil out there in space somewhere... that would make sense - or would it?
(and maybe I'll use that by now near antique bottle from the airport on some pizza, now that I'm sure it's silly oil.)

I still have a bottle in the shape of a guitar - oh wait, maybe a violin - that had olive oil and garlic.. eh, re the oil, but love the bottle.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 08:54 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
What the hell would you do with an electric truffle, even if you could slice it?
I would help but I am still working on understanding an electric sandwhich maker.
Ionus

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 08:55 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
My hogs nose up pre-sliced truffles. either that or they become bacon.
MMMMMMMMMMMMMM........ Bacon..........
Must be better than something grown in the ground that the French eat.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 08:57 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
At Williams SOnoma, they also carry a 299 dollar orange juice squeezer.
No wonder you farmers are so rich....you should be ashamed of yourselves for selling 299 dollar oranges.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 09:01 pm
@Ionus,
There was also a product called "Mr Tea, into which you would pour water and a few tea bags. Then youd plug it in and you would magically have either hot tea or iced tea (if you let it then cool down). I think it sold for 19.95.
19.95 seems to be the great STUPID POINT for American shoppers. Above 19.95 people will think about it, but 19.95 or below, we will buy anything.
farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 09:02 pm
@farmerman,
DAVID, at least 2 people had already brought up the "electric truffle" point and we told each one to shut up and sit down.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 09:05 pm
@farmerman,
Best way to make ice tea ...
http://www.housewaresandbeyond.com/images/items/11811/jpg/Rubbermaid-3063-1-Gallon-White-Covered-Pitcher.jpg
plus water plus seven tea bags plus overnight in the refrigerator = iced tea.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 09:08 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
19.95 seems to be the great STUPID POINT for American shoppers. Above 19.95 people will think about it, but 19.95 or below, we will buy anything.
Not just Americans. And you can get shoppers to buy anything below 99.95 if you throw in steak knives. Above that, and you get two widgets (dont know what you are supposed to do with one, let alone two) for 9 easy installments of 99.95, if you send no money now and have it mailed direct to your door. Perhaps the magic nine is based on ten fingers, and people feel threatened financially if they use up all their fingers when costing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 09:10 pm
The best way to make iced tea is to put some tea bags in a big ol' jug, then fill it with tap water. Put it in a south facing window, and come back about a day later. Put it the fridge, then come back in a day.

So far, no one can charge you for using the sun.
Lightwizard

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 09:12 pm
A basic mandolin can be used to slice or shave truffles or even an electric food slicer, but there are small versions that are basically small mandolins and can be used to also shave chocolate for desserts:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=truffle+shaver&tag=googhydr-20&index=garden&hvadid=2743304155&ref=pd_sl_v9mnl4k7t_b
farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 09:15 pm
@Setanta,
Ill sell ya the jug as an official "Solar tea maker". As I recall, they actually did this in the stormin 80's along with "Whatta Pizzeria", and the "George Foreman grill, (which cooked **** slightly off the ground so the grease would run down into a catchment sump or something like that.
BRILLIANT!!.

Williams SOnoma also has, for 250.00 a S'Mores MAker, all they provide is the space and the heat, you do all the rest and then you fuckin have to clean up the damn thing. ALSO, Its HUGE,

Ill bet Willimkas SOnoma is workin real hard to bring back FONDUE !!
tsarstepan

@Lightwizard,
Oh that explains this Picasso painting with the girl and the mandolin she's shaving truffles!
http://i46.tinypic.com/2v0e2ht.jpg
ossobuco

I may be the last person in the US to buy a slow cooker (what is wrong with my cast iron dutch oven, eh?) and bought one today as a good way to cook black beans, pinto beans, etc. Yes, yes, it was $19.95 at Smith's.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 09:16 pm
@farmerman,
I'll wait for the Farmerman Grill!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 09:19 pm
@Lightwizard,
psst, when you specify searches like that, what AMAZON does is to go through and present MY recent searches for books.

I thought it quite interesting that, if you sent that, youre last book purchase was BRADDOCKS MARCH by Crocker. (I thought that was a cool book about an amazingly flawed and incompetent individual). Did you buy it too?