It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 09:14 pm
I keep turning to that song, as vocalized by Bing Crosby, to be my anthem of the season. I appreciate Bing more these days than ever before. Chalk it up to nostalgia, a new appreciation of his talent - whatever. It fills me with warmth and sooths my troubled spirit. Last week, my sister and I had a divergence of opinion, which led to her disowning me, and ticking off all my bad traits and actions, ranging over the entirety of the past fifty years. I ended my last email to her by saying, "I am going to love you, whether you like it or not, and there is nothing you can do about it." It went to a seeming void, as she never replied. I possibly will not hear from her again, as she has written off other siblings in the same spirit.

Then, there is the action of today. It began innocently enough. My friend and co worker and I took a captured possum to the park for release. As we drove down the lane, a squirrel and then six deer crossed in front of us. The deer posed as we went by. I released the possum near the dumpsters, and the little guy made his dash to freedom. Our work got on track, and by lunch time I was thinking we would have a smooth time of it. As I stood by the microwave, awaiting my steaming roast chicken, a resident approached me. She was unable to get in touch with her uncle. I told the boss, and very shortly, we and the police went to his door. I was obliged to hop the patio wall, and then to break a window, so that I could crawl inside and unlock the door. Keys are useless when residents lock the upper, one sided dead bolts. He was on the bed, lifeless.

You might wonder that I was able to eat my lunch, but, I have always had to have my food, no matter the circumstances.

I began the thread by writing about Christmas. I intend to have my joy this year, as every year. The human spirit needs holidays and aspirations for bettering life's circumstance. I compartmentalize disappointment and sorrow, separating them from my primary function of living for now in a positive way. And, so, I smile and wave, and sincerely wish one and all the best holiday possible.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,652 • Replies: 31
No top replies

JustBrooke

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:04 pm
Looks at Edgar and smiles back.

What a day you must have had! I'm glad you are seperating sorrow and disapointment, and allowing yourself to be happy and feeling the Christmas spirit. You are a very sweet person and deserve to feel peace and joy in your heart.

From me to you........ Merry Christmas Edgar!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/heavens_just_a_kiss_away/XMAS_GS006.gif

And a big ole hug to go with that!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 10:29 pm
Thanks. I needed that.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:14 am
Edgar--

The world doesn't stop for the winter holidays--but neither do you.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:38 am
edgarblythe~

This is a hard time of year to deal with sorrow, and I admire the way you
hold on to hope and love. I lost my mother last August and it certainly
affects the way I feel about the season this year. Like you, I still intend
to seek and find joy in this season.

Hang in there, brother.

~George
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 09:09 am
It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas - Bing Crosby

WISHES OF GREAT JOY THIS SEASON EDGAR!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 05:31 pm
Thanks people. You all have made me feel better.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:59 pm
I love Bing... Just seeing the title of this thread put a smile on my face. I always think of my grandma when I hear Bing's Christmas songs; I heard them for the first time at her house, making Christmas cookies... So many nice memories of that music and my grandma's house!

I'm sorry about these sad experiences you've been having, Edgar... as always you've put your feelings into words so beautifully that it made me teary-eyed. I hope your sister didn't make you feel too awfully bad-- I'm sure she'll get over whatever is eating at her and get back in touch with you; if not, she's making such a sad mistake, writing off someone who seems to me to be a truly good soul.

I hope you're doing well and that you have a lovely holiday season. I think of you a lot at this time of year because I know you're are as much of a Christmas person as I am. Sending you a hug... Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 10:24 pm
Thank you. I will be in Denver for Christmas, thanks to my daughter's generosity in buying plane tickets for the wife and me. I think being with her and her four children will keep me perked up and too busy to mope.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 01:31 am
edgar-

It is so ironic for me to find that someone who does not believe in God embodies in spirit and practice better than anyone I know of, the true meaning of Christmas. Keep on keeping on, man.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:16 am
*hugs* and good wishes.

little people will keep you in great remembrance of good(er) feelings.

You impress me with your nature Edgar, ceaselessly.

again, *hugs*

DO have a Happy Holiday
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 05:49 am
I love you people.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 05:51 am
Your sister has written off a helluva guy. I wish you joy this time of year. I'm usually semi-Grinchy. But I'm de-Grinchifying myself for you.

PS: I know for a fact that the possum says thanks.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 05:52 am
I have relocated about a dozen possums this year.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 06:27 am
I know for a fact that they all say thanks. Unless it's one possum who's been back twelve times.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 07:15 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I love you people.

apparently, we love you too.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 10:17 am
You give me hope, edgar.

Happy Holidays to you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 06:06 pm
The man that died the other day went of his own choice. That was apparent right away, as there was an empty pill bottle in the same room. He had led a long and varied life, and was content, until his wife died, this past March. It seems obvious he just could not take the season without her.

He had been in the habit of smoking on his patio and engaging in friendly banter with most of the people walking by. I learned from him that he had survived a Nazi prisoner of war camp. When my coworker brought home his prematurely born son, the old man took a strong interest. He even climbed the stairs to see the little tyke, something he had refused to do to visit his relatives. He came to the office once, and left a hundred dollar bill for the baby. Before he handed it over (to the assistant manager, since my help was not present), he wrote a greeting on the face of it: "Hey boy." He had a lot of friends, but, at night, he was all alone, for the only time in many years. I don't believe I would have chosen that path, but I do not judge. It's not for me to say.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:24 am
Edgar--

I hope he's found peace.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 11:28 am
REMEMBER THIS AT CHRISTMAS TIME According to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, while both male and female reindeer grow antlers in the summer each year, male reindeer drop their antlers at the beginning of winter, usually late November to mid-December. Female reindeer retain their antlers till after they give birth in the spring. Therefore, according to EVERY historical rendition depicting Santa's reindeer, EVERY single one of them, from Rudolph to Blitzen, had to be a girl. We should've known... ONLY women would be able to drag a fat-ass man in a red velvet suit all around the world in one night and not get lost

So, there you go!!
0 Replies