Amanda Knox

Sturgis

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 09:59 am
@wandeljw,
Hopefully, you can equally accept my apology for coming in with the equivalent of a verbal baseball bat. I'm having one of those days where I should not turn the computer on.
wandeljw

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 10:04 am
@Sturgis,
All of us have days like that. No worries. Smile
0 Replies

JTT

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 10:05 am
@wandeljw,
By all means, point me to where you talk about the much much much greater injustices in Iraq and Afghanistan, JW. Show me that I'm mistaken in my assessment that a whole lot of you are mealy mouthed hypocrites!
0 Replies

aidan

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 12:48 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:

Dear Mom, I can’t think of anything else. I know you’re going to get here tomorrow but I have to write in any event. Maybe I want to write or I don’t want to write, but I can’t do anything else.

I didn’t have the best weekend. But because I am the first witness, I can’t speak with anyone about what happened at my house in these days, I can’t express my situation right now. …

I don’t have a house. I’m living with a friend near my house, but I can’t go back there at all. I don’t have my clothes or my things. I only have the things that I had when the police ordered me out of the house, when we found Meredith. I don’t have anything, I don’t have a schedule and often I feel without emotions. I only know that I’m always nervous. …

I have to try to rebuild my life but I feel like I have forgotten how I lived before. I hope you can help me. Maybe we can go shopping for new clothes. You can meet my flatmates. Perugia is really a beautiful city and I want to show you everything I know about the city. I know you want me to go back the States but I haven’t finished here. I’m not afraid of Italy. I’m not afraid of anything specific. I’m just afraid because I’m confused.

How strange. Her roommate has just been brutally murdered and she says, 'I didn't have the best weekend'?! She just wants to feel better - so 'maybe we can go shopping for clothes'?!

Was this homework assignment done before or after she fingered an innocent man so the Italian police would stop hitting her in the head?

No, I'm sorry. I can't say I've ever had my roommate murdered in the room next to mine or had to make up a lie sacrificing another person to save myself discomfort, but this doesn't sound like the reaction of a normal person whose friend and roommate has just been found murdered.
She's totally immersed in her own selfish needs- Meredith and her demise are only mentioned as the cause of all the inconvenience it has heaped on Amanda.

And I'm really curious to know if any of these police interviews where she is being tortured into turning into an immoral and soulless betrayer of an innocent man are taped. Are they?
Can they really NOT have taped her interview in this day and age?

If anything, this letter convinces me more than ever that she lacks normal empathy and would be capable of murdering someone - and then go shopping for clothes - or lingerie, wasn't it - the next day?

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2011/10/searching-for-amanda-knox.html#ixzz1a7frH3IP
wandeljw

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 12:57 pm
@aidan,
The police interrogation was allegedly taped and then allegedly lost.

From what I have read, Lumumba was "fingered" by the police and suggested TO Amanda Knox.
aidan

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 01:02 pm
@wandeljw,
They could have suggested Hitler to me and if I hadn't been there, I'd have had to say, 'I WASN'T THERE! I DON'T KNOW!!!'

She first told them that she was there. That's the only reason they could have suggested that she saw ANYONE leaving the house.

Why did she say she was there if she wasn't?

She started the lying herself. WHY?
wandeljw

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 01:06 pm
@aidan,
I am sure you have heard about the phenomenon where people falsely confess under the influence of an authority figure. It is common in criminal cases, wartime interrogations, even in cases where students are questioned by a school official.
JTT

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 01:10 pm
@wandeljw,
Veerry interesting, Mr Freud. Are you part of the legal team or are you the Minister of Propaganda?
wandeljw

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 01:11 pm
@JTT,
Neither, but thanks for recognizing my insight. Smile
aidan

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 01:13 pm
@wandeljw,
All I'm going to say is that there is something not right about this girl and this letter just reiterates that in my mind.
She doesn't seem to display normal empathy.

She's more worried about herself than the victim.
Her reaction seems like the reaction of someone who's done something wrong.
If my roommate had been killed, and I knew that I was innocent, I'd not be giving a thought about myself and my life.
I'd be thinking about the person whose life was over.
I'd only be thinking about what was going to happen to me as a result of the death if I knew I'd had something to do with it, and I might get caught.
Sorry - but that's the way I read this letter.

She's not normally empathic - and those are often the people who commit murder or other crimes against other people.

JTT

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 01:15 pm
@wandeljw,
Insight isn't needed by propagandists, JW, but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

"insight" is hardly your long suit, so let's just pretend that this was.

0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 06:41 pm
@aidan,
There are lots and lots of jerky people -- especially 20-year-olds -- who are not murderers.

I won't argue against her jerkiness, I just think it's not enough to convict her of murder.
ossobuco

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 06:52 pm
I think the flaws in all this topple each other again and again.

I remain unconvinced by the prosecutor, about whom I'd murmured originally, and remain unconvinced by Amanda - although, I need to review, maybe I can get convinced.

Basically, I see her being aquitted as realistic.
0 Replies

aidan

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 08:51 pm
@sozobe,
Lack of empathy goes beyond 'jerkiness' -at any age.
Individuals who are unable to empathize with others, to the extent that they can look at the butchered body of their roommate one day and the next think about shopping and getting on with their own lives while wailing against the inconvenience said dead roommate is causing them as in - 'Oh **** - I can't get into my house to get my things' - and 'Oh **** - I'm feeling nervous all the time- how sad for me,' are exactly those who feel entitled to objectify people and use them or abuse them, without remorse.

I'm not arguing for or against her conviction.
Obviously the Italian police fucked the investigation up. Just like Mark Fuhrman and the LAPD fucked the OJ investigation up.
I'm just saying I don't think she's the innocent abroad her PR team has recreated her to appear to be, after the fact.
There's something really, really wrong with this girl.
And I do look at her behavior and HER OWN WORDS (in the article you posted) and I can picture her guilty of the crime of which she was accused.

Let's put it this way - I wouldn't let her babysit for my kids or trust her to stay in my house with me- acquitted or not.

But lucky her - she's got her life back- I bet she's out shopping for some new clothes.
It's just tasteless and insensitive the way she's celebrating her celebrity.
It shows a lack of empathy for the victim and the victim's family- yet again.
ossobuco

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 08:58 pm
@aidan,
It isn't tasteless if she is not a perp.
We don't know. Far as we know, she isn't a perp.

I'm mixed in that I didn't like them or the prosecutor, obvious in my thread post.
And I still don't like either.
But so what? I could be quite wrong, re Amanda.

I admit I need to read longer.
Lustig Andrei

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 09:00 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

But so what? I could be quite wrong.

Oh,not you, Osso.
ossobuco

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 09:05 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
What is that about, Andy?

not me?

I don't presently have citations I believe in re Amanda, and I think the prosecution is weird.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 09:09 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Nasty body, as an old friend would say, while planting a starfish hand on your chest.
aidan

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 09:14 pm
@ossobuco,
I do find it tasteless even if she's not the perpetrator.
It's still a tragedy, isn't it?
There are people on death row who get released all the time due to DNA evidence and you don't see these huge media celebrations and them gloating and saying things like, 'I know the value of my story and I'm going to hold out for it until I get it.'
I think anyone with any taste and sensitivity for the grieving family would just quietly slip away and resume their life.
Where's all the celebrations and gloating of the Italian boy and his family?

This whole victorious celebration in the face of a dead girl and a miscarriage of justice which has enabled her killer(s) to escape punishment - whether it was Amanda Knox and Rafael Solocieto (or however you spell it) or not- is in bad taste.
It really does make me a little embarrassed to be American.
'Oh your daughter's still dead - but my daughter's free and clear- LET'S CELEBRATE!'

If I were her mother, I'd just encourage her to grieve her dead roommate privately and quietly resume her life.

But that doesn't seem to be her style so I doubt it will happen that way.

Put the shoe on the other foot. Say it was the British girl who was said to have killed the American girl and this girl shows very little remorse for the girl who is dead and then throws a huge party in the face of the dead girl's grieving parents when the people who were convicted of their daughter's murder are released, leaving them with a dead child and no answers.

I'm sorry but I find that to be in very bad taste and showing a lack of empathy and sensitivity.
Maybe that's why people say things like, 'Only in America'. We certainly haven't heard anything about Rafael's parents celebrating and/or him cashing in on his notoriety at the cost of anyone's life.
Lustig Andrei

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 09:15 pm
@ossobuco,
As someone or other on this thread always says --
just sayin'.