Amanda Knox

oralloy

Wed 23 Dec, 2009 04:31 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:
So the conspirators stretch across 2 continents and aim to keep the innocent young woman in jail - but why?

Nah. The conspirators seem limited to parts of the Italian government.

As to why, I just chalk it up to them being evil.
oralloy

Thu 24 Dec, 2009 12:38 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
High Seas wrote:
One question: why not contact the lawyers involved, or the press, or at least a senator from the state of Washington, and submit all this overwhelming evidence in your possession? Why only tell us here online??

What makes you think that those people don't already know this stuff?

If there are any doubts over whether Senator Maria Cantwell is aware of this atrocity, this should lay those doubts to rest:

http://cantwell.senate.gov/news/record.cfm?id=320475
0 Replies

panzade

Thu 24 Dec, 2009 12:49 am
@High Seas,
Quote:
Merry Christmas to you and your family anyway

Awwww...thanks. And you have a wonderful time with yours.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 24 Dec, 2009 12:55 am
@Raphillon,
Well, you'd have to pick the restaurant..

This is fantasy, as I can't afford another trip to Italy in the foreseeable future. But you can pick one anyway, and I'll read about it. Maybe I'll start another thread on that.
Raphillon

Thu 24 Dec, 2009 08:40 am
@ossobuco,
Why not? I will, after holydays Smile

BTW: Merry Christmas!!! ^_^
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 25 Dec, 2009 04:24 pm
Interesting blog entry from an Italian American woman who is writing a book about the case:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/dempsey/archives/188882.asp

Among other things she says the jury pretty much slept through the entire defense.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 28 Dec, 2009 01:27 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Btw, The blog you linked was incredibly detailed and informative, thank you. But it was also very obviously biased.

Actually, I don't think that is a fair criticism. They sound biased toward the defendants only because the evidence is so overwhelming. They did a pretty good job of providing non-biased coverage of the trial.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 28 Dec, 2009 01:35 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
High Seas wrote:
So the conspirators stretch across 2 continents and aim to keep the innocent young woman in jail - but why?

Nah. The conspirators seem limited to parts of the Italian government.

As to why, I just chalk it up to them being evil.

Actually, I can give a more precise reason I think.

Giuliano Mignini goofed in having the police beat a confession out of an innocent American honors student.

Judges Giancarlo Massei and Beatrice Cristiani maliciously held her in prison and then convicted her, knowing full well that she was innocent all along, to cover up the crimes of Mignini and the police.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Mon 28 Dec, 2009 01:38 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I notice neither Robert nor Francis will can answer that question honestly, and have instead chosen to ignore it.

If any such question was asked of me, I certainly did not see it much less ignore it. Oralloy and yourself have so much strength of conviction about this that I don't think it would be edifying to argue it and haven't been following this thread.

But to answer the questions, no I don't find the doubt in this case nearly as reasonable as you do and if your question is whether or not I would prefer higher thresholds for guilt in Italian law that is one thing, but no the jurors who did not find her guilty do not cause me any doubt in this particular case. And that shouldn't be surprising, it's not like you let the jury's acquittal of OJ Simpson cause you doubt as to his guilt.
oralloy

Mon 28 Dec, 2009 01:45 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

It looks like they applied the same mitigating circumstances (young, no criminal record, etc) that they applied to the other two.

So his one third sentence reduction for taking a fast track trial, instead of reducing a life sentence to 30 years, reduces a 24 year sentence to 16 years.

Considering the fact that it looks like Guede is the real killer, it is sort of ironic that the zeal to put innocent people in prison has resulted in his sentence being drastically cut to bring his mitigating circumstances in line with those innocents.

The prosecutors and/or the victim's family could appeal the sentence cut, but I expect that they will not accept the reality that he is the sole killer until after it is too late to make the appeal.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 28 Dec, 2009 01:48 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
But to answer the questions, no I don't find the doubt in this case nearly as reasonable as you do and if your question is whether or not I would prefer higher thresholds for guilt in Italian law that is one thing, but no the jurors who did not find her guilty do not cause me any doubt in this particular case.

The fact that there is zero evidence of guilt causes you no reasonable doubt?
contrex

Mon 28 Dec, 2009 02:18 am
I am beginning to wish that Oralloy the troll would kindly take a long holiday in Italy... and maybe, (just maybe, if we're lucky!) he'll wind up in jail and give us all a nice rest from his OCD inspired ranting.
oralloy

Mon 28 Dec, 2009 02:40 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
I am beginning to wish that Oralloy the troll would kindly take a long holiday in Italy... and maybe, (just maybe, if we're lucky!) he'll wind up in jail and give us all a nice rest from his OCD inspired ranting.

Evil people sure do get upset when good people criticize evil.....
0 Replies

contrex

Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:12 am
Sensible people get fed up when idiots won't stop babbling crap.
OCCOM BILL

Mon 28 Dec, 2009 11:54 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
I notice neither Robert nor Francis will can answer that question honestly, and have instead chosen to ignore it.

If any such question was asked of me, I certainly did not see it much less ignore it. Oralloy and yourself have so much strength of conviction about this that I don't think it would be edifying to argue it and haven't been following this thread.
Oralloy and I haven't even presented parallel arguments. I find his conviction nearly as unsupportable as you do.

Robert Gentel wrote:
But to answer the questions, no I don't find the doubt in this case nearly as reasonable as you do and if your question is whether or not I would prefer higher thresholds for guilt in Italian law that is one thing, but no the jurors who did not find her guilty do not cause me any doubt in this particular case. And that shouldn't be surprising, it's not like you let the jury's acquittal of OJ Simpson cause you doubt as to his guilt.
You haven't answered the question, which was:
Quote:
If 3 of 8 jurors were to insist that the State failed to make its case; do you think the other 5 jurors opinion to the contrary would equate to a finding of guilt, beyond a reasonable doubt?

This question stems from a dispute over whether or not the Italian system provides a "presumption of innocence until proven guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt".

By interjecting your unexplained confidence in this verdict; you make no more sense than Oralloy. My concern is with the system itself. If the guilty aren't offered every benefit of the doubt, than neither will the innocent be. It is my contention that any system that requires you to convince half of a jury that the State has failed to make its case; cannot reasonably be described as one that offers a presumption of innocence, let alone a system bothers to insure that the guilty are found so, beyond a reasonable doubt.
wandeljw

Mon 28 Dec, 2009 02:47 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Shouldn't "reasonable doubt" and "unanimous verdict" be treated as separate concepts? I believe that Italian juries are not required to disclose how many of the jurors agreed. The majority who reached the verdict may have indeed been convinced beyond a reasonable doubt.
OCCOM BILL

Mon 28 Dec, 2009 03:22 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Shouldn't "reasonable doubt" and "unanimous verdict" be treated as separate concepts? I believe that Italian juries are not required to disclose how many of the jurors agreed. The majority who reached the verdict may have indeed been convinced beyond a reasonable doubt.
No. If 3 of 8 people were convinced a person was innocent; that in itself provides a reasonable doubt, by any reasonable definition.

For all I know, the jury in this case was indeed unanimously convinced beyond a reasonable doubt. And they may very well have convicted a guilty person. That was neither the nature of my complaint, nor the purpose of my question.
oralloy

Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:02 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
Sensible people get fed up when idiots won't stop babbling crap.

If you weren't an evil person, you would realize that it is hardly "crap" to denounce the malicious prosecution of innocent people.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:02 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Oralloy and I haven't even presented parallel arguments. I find his conviction nearly as unsupportable as you do.

It is funny how we have each been accused of the other's arguments in this thread.

However, my firm conviction is justified by all the evidence. It is entirely supportable.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:07 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
No. If 3 of 8 people were convinced a person was innocent; that in itself provides a reasonable doubt, by any reasonable definition.

For all I know, the jury in this case was indeed unanimously convinced beyond a reasonable doubt. And they may very well have convicted a guilty person. That was neither the nature of my complaint, nor the purpose of my question.

I saw it reported in the media that the jury was unanimous. The only dissent was over whether to sentence her to life or to 26 years.

However, they clearly knew she was innocent. They convicted her to cover up the fact that inspector Rita Ficarra beat a confession out of an innocent American honors student under the supervision of Giuliano Mignini. So the question of reasonable doubt didn't really enter into it.