Should I get glasses?

Linkat

Tue 3 Nov, 2009 10:10 am
I have not been to the eye doctor in over 10 years and I finally went today.

The doctor concluded my eye sight in general is good - I have some issues with seeing further; glasses could help me. I did notice that I have some problems seeing things further away as well - nothing earthshattering, but I squint more when trying to see things in the distance. I do have a very slight issue with close up, but very little.

The odd thing is, I asked him should I? He answered is it a problem with you? It isn't other than here and there. He gave me a prescription and said it was my choice whethter to fill it or not. I always thought they would tell me.

Should I fill it? Would it be helpful? He did state it wouldn't make my vision worse, just make things in focus better for me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 15 • Views: 4,917 • Replies: 44
Topic Closed

George

Tue 3 Nov, 2009 10:17 am
@Linkat,
I'd get a pair to wear while driving.
It's always good to get an early read on those signs ahead.
Linkat

Tue 3 Nov, 2009 10:20 am
@George,
Yeah, but by getting them - it is like giving up that I'm aging.
George

Tue 3 Nov, 2009 10:23 am
@Linkat,
Better than giving it up by explaining how you missed your exit.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Tue 3 Nov, 2009 10:26 am
@Linkat,
I sure know that feeling, Linkat. But the fact remains that we are ALL aging, (which is much better than the alternative). Razz

I think that if you get the glasses, and see better, it will you will actually look younger. Squinting to see causes crow's feet. Get yourself a snazzy frame, and treat it like a fashion accessory.
Gala

Tue 3 Nov, 2009 10:31 am
@Linkat,
I'd get them. I only wear glasses for driving and it makes a huge difference, not only for night driving but when the weather's crummy. I don't have to use them for day driving unless I am in an unfamiliar place...

If you don't wear them all the time you won't be dependent on them. And they really help.

Aging be damned! Be safe about it, especially cause you've got the little ones to think about...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Tue 3 Nov, 2009 10:32 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Yeah, but by getting them - it is like giving up that I'm aging.

How? I've been nearsighted my entire life. (First pair of glasses when I was in 1st grade.)

Reading glasses are the sign of aging, not distance glasses. Wink
0 Replies

Gala

Tue 3 Nov, 2009 10:33 am
@Phoenix32890,
That is so true, about getting a good style. Mine are vintage frames and I get a lot compliments when I wear them.
0 Replies

chai2

Tue 3 Nov, 2009 10:36 am
I think you don't realize what you're missing linkat, and I don't mean just exit signs.

I knew someone who, just like you seldom went to the eye doctor.

When she did, she did get glasses. Not a big perscription as far as strength.

After she got them, she was amazed. She said to me "I never realized that you were supposed to see the individual leaves on a tree! She loved just watching the branches move in the breeze, and see each leaf moving.

You'll see so much more detail in things, and the world will look more beautiful.
Gala

Tue 3 Nov, 2009 10:39 am
@chai2,
That reminds me, when went to the eye doctor a bunch of years ago he said to me: "you're an artist, you're not supposed to see the world in focus." He gave the me the prescription anyway...
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 3 Nov, 2009 11:57 am
@Phoenix32890,
Yeah that true about the squinting.
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 3 Nov, 2009 12:01 pm
@chai2,
Good point - maybe I can find some really cool ones. I also didn't realize that it is was the close up stuff that was a sign of aging - I just figured my parents got glasses when they got old and my younger brother I was wearing glasses in this past year.

The doctor did have me read some small lettering that I held a certain distance and then had me bring it closer - I could reach much better closer so I can personally tell the difference.

And it is true at night and bad weather when driving I do squint often and have a harder time seeing. I guess I will give up vainness for my children.
George

Tue 3 Nov, 2009 12:17 pm
@Linkat,
On behalf of all of us on I-93, thank you.
Linkat

Tue 3 Nov, 2009 01:02 pm
@George,
Yeah well I have a perfect driving score - no incidents per my insurance (we just received it yesterday).
George

Tue 3 Nov, 2009 01:06 pm
@Linkat,
Enjoy it.
Only a matter of time before a teenager is added to your list of operators.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Tue 3 Nov, 2009 02:41 pm
This reminds me of the cartoon, where the wifey dragged her husband to
get glasses. Before, the cartoon was all blurry, the guy couldn't see right, then he put on the new glasses and everything became crisp and clear. He looked around in disbelief, everything was so much better, then he got a glimpse of his wife - and gave the glasses back !
Linkat

Tue 3 Nov, 2009 04:24 pm
@CalamityJane,
Ha Ha - I like the one where the old lady is trying her new glasses on and her old fart of a husband is saying "Can we go home now." She puts the new glasses on and her husband looks like a nice hot young stud and that irrating voice comes out of this hot dudes mouth "Can we go home now." She smiles seductively and rubs his chest saying sweetly "yesssss."

I'm running out now to get some glasses!
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 3 Nov, 2009 04:35 pm
@CalamityJane,
Found it - click here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIywThy-pM4&feature=player_embedded
CalamityJane

Tue 3 Nov, 2009 04:48 pm
@Linkat,
Haha, that's hilarious, Linkat! Now go and run to the optometrist - your honey is waiting at home!!
Linkat

Wed 4 Nov, 2009 09:57 am
@CalamityJane,
Well with seeing my husband is like this young stud, only better - I'd probably get the old geezer with the glasses.