Should I get glasses?

sreejaa

Thu 3 Jun, 2010 12:44 am
it will be good if u get ...
0 Replies

jinnyshrestha

Fri 14 Jan, 2011 08:51 am
@Linkat,
eyeglasses are meant to work with your eyes to help you see better. I think you should make glasses for yourself.
Linkat

Fri 14 Jan, 2011 08:55 am
@jinnyshrestha,
Well I did finally get the glasses - just last month. I use them now for driving, but I found it helped it also when I was at the deli - I couldn't read the sign very well that was a distance away showing the sales items - I put on my glasses and viola I could read without squinting.
Phoenix32890

Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:16 am
@Linkat,
Good for you. It is so much more comfortable to be able to see, than to squint and develop crow's feet.
0 Replies

JPB

Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:19 am
@Linkat,
I found that my distance/night driving glasses were a big boon at movie theaters too. I lost them a few years ago and never replaced them. Now, my reading glasses are a permanent fixture on my nose (or as a headband, always at the ready).
Linkat

Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:35 am
@JPB,
Nice - didn't think about that for the movies and I know that it will help at the larger type meetings where there is visual stuff - I always have a hard time seeing that.
Ceili

Fri 14 Jan, 2011 09:40 am
@Linkat,
I just got my first pair of glasses. Reading glasses...
It's the weakest possible prescription, but since I'm headed back to school in two weeks, I figured it was for the best.
Funny thing is, when I was a kid I wanted glasses so badly. People didn't take me seriously, freckles and chubby cheeks, but now.. well, I guess I am getting old. Crying or Very sad and I'm not too happy about it.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Fri 14 Jan, 2011 10:53 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Yeah, but by getting them - it is like giving up that I'm aging.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Puberty knocked my eyesight out of whack.

Ahh, those pre-pubescent days!
0 Replies

mamamia

Wed 2 Mar, 2011 02:29 pm
@Linkat,
I think you might as well get the prescription. Eyes can only get worse. You don't want to strain them while they are just moderately bad. Over time it will most likely worsen, so get them now and try and save yourself from needing something like lasik eye surgery.
chai2

Wed 2 Mar, 2011 04:01 pm
@mamamia,
mamamia wrote:

I think you might as well get the prescription. Eyes can only get worse. You don't want to strain them while they are just moderately bad. Over time it will most likely worsen, so get them now and try and save yourself from needing something like lasik eye surgery.

You don't get lasik because you didn't get eye glasses.

No one "needs" lasik.

BTW, I just ate some hard boiled eggs, and got diarrhea.
ossobuco

Wed 2 Mar, 2011 04:04 pm
@chai2,
I would be very surprised to learn that eyestrain as such does anything at all destructive to your vision.
chai2

Wed 2 Mar, 2011 04:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Want an egg?

They were boiled in water from India.
ossobuco

Wed 2 Mar, 2011 04:33 pm
@chai2,
You think a peeled hardboiled egg looks like my eye but for the dot, don't you?

You have to turn it sideways.
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 2 Mar, 2011 04:52 pm
@mamamia,
Read above - I did get them.
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 2 Mar, 2011 04:53 pm
@chai2,
I have an iron clad stomach - had over the eggs.
0 Replies

nicolelord2

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 02:24 am
@Linkat,
I think you should take this glasses.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 03:37 am
Better just admit that we're all aging no matter what we do, and go get glasses, than live in a blur. As everybody's eyes age we do get more far-sighted. When I was about 43, I realized I could hardly read crossword puzzle clues anymore, and I LIKE crossword puzzles, so I got a really weak pair of drugstore reading glasses. They've gotten steadily stronger over the years, and I've gotta get prescription glasses now, but have been putting it off for a year or so.

You might take along a book with small print to your local CVS or RiteAid or whatever and look for the rack with the reading glasses, and see if they make a difference with your book. Start with 1.0, then 1.25, then 1.5, work your way up and see if one works well. They'll only set you back $15 or so. You can often get even cheaper ones at dollar stores or the $1 teaser racks at Target. Most seem to be from China these days, but the lenses seem generally to be of relatively decent quality. Consider it a relatively low-cost way to find out if glasses can actually improve your quality of life.

I'm not sure about this, but I think distance glasses prescriptions are generally the same prescription you'd have for close-up focus but weaker, so you might get a pair like 1.0 or 1.25 and see if you can see the leaves on the tree.
Linkat

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:13 am
@MontereyJack,
Does anyone read the entire post????

I DID GET THE GLASSES.

But on a lighter note - I have no problem with close up vision. I read close up crap all day long and no issues. Just distance and even that isn't too bad. I got them specifically to help me see clearer when driving which my doctor suggested was all I would need it for.

And they look really cool - I loved the place I got them, because they had several options for "petite" sized glasses. Usually I have a difficult time finding sunglasses because of my size - most glasses on me look like I am a little kid wearing their mom's glasses.
Phoenix32890

Wed 9 Mar, 2011 08:52 am
@MontereyJack,
I used to get drugstore glasses at half strength of my distance prescriptions for the computer. That worked well for years.

Then I had a problem with a slipped lens after cataract surgery. Now one eye is very different than the other, and I can't use the drugstore glasses. So I got a pair of bifocal glasses for the computer that is mid range on the top, and reading on the bottom, so I can see the keyboard.
0 Replies

chai2

Wed 9 Mar, 2011 04:01 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

most glasses on me look like I am a little kid wearing their mom's glasses.

http://babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2009/03/kid_glasses.jpg