6 Yr Old Boy Floats Away In Balloon

dyslexia

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 03:44 pm
just my thoughts but watching the media today I think that there is some strong motivation to make this story about a fraud/hoax.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 04:06 pm
Figure the odds....how likely would it be for somebody who likes to be on "Reality TV" to EVER concoct a bogus story that would break everybodies heart and cause complete strangers to pray and worry for the safe return of a supposedly missing boy. On the other hand, I had boys as well, and I would have made any one of my children sorry they ever thought of such a stunt, but then again, I'd rather be dead than show up on a "reality show".
mismi

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 04:10 pm
@glitterbag,
Me too glitterbag. What bothers me most right now is the fact that he kept taking the interviews. It was obvious that Falcon was not feeling well. I would have told the media to kiss my tail. Wouldn't care if they thought it was a publicity stunt or not. I would have shut them down and protected my little boy from all of that.

So - it is obvious to me he wants the attention. Whether he did it on purpose or not - who knows?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 04:21 pm
At first, I thought the boys were solely responsible. Now, I am not so sure. It is my belief the truth, if it is other, will out in a matter of days.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 04:26 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Figure the odds...
This father ain't no retard, a hoax couldn't possibly last more than a few hours. What could be gained that wouldn't be more than lost when the truth outs? The child never left the home and would obviously be found sooner rather than later. I really think this is an "untypical" family and the media sharks smell blood (a good media story).
I am thinking "mosquito coast" eccentric father that affronts polite society.
sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 05:53 pm
@dyslexia,
This could still wind up being a completely innocent mistake -- but I do think there is more to the "hoax" stuff than just not liking the guy. A whole lot of things make no sense.

A sampling:

- Why did the idea that there was a basket hanging under the main "flying saucer" structure get anywhere at all? The dad had to have known there was no such thing. This bought another hour or two of coverage and anxiety, though -- OK, the balloon was down and there was no kid in it, but maybe he was dangling from this other basket and THAT fell off at some point. The video of the balloon taking off makes it very clear, there was no basket. The kid was IN the balloon somehow, or he was safe on the ground, period.

- Could the kid have ever been IN the balloon? I haven't seen a good description but a) it seems like it was a flimsy cardboard structure that b) didn't necessarily have a door/ easy access. Newscasters at the time (who did a lousy job) didn't know, but the dad would have known. I haven't seen anything definitive about this, but it seems rather unlikely that the kid could have realistically gotten in there in the first place.

- The "we did it for the show" thing, the dad's reaction, and the kid's vomiting when asked about it afterwards -- again, it could turn out to be just a coincidence but it certainly legitimately raises questions about WTF happened. (I still think there is a middle ground possible -- that the dad wasn't planning on making it about the kid, but tacked that on at some point once the balloon was in the air.)

- Reports of food and toys stocked in the kid's hidey-hole. Maybe false reports, but if they're real, again indicates that there was some level of planning.

- The dad called a TV station before calling 911.

- Whatever else is going on with the dad, he's a proven publicity hound. Pitched a reality show to TLC (that was turned down), had some other show he was trying to get produced, lots of other stuff. And there is no such thing as bad publicity.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 08:16 pm
CNN) -- Authorities in Colorado say criminal charges are expected to be filed against Richard Heene, a storm-chasing father whose giant Mylar balloon ascended into the sky earlier this week -- sparking fears that his 6-year-old was aboard.

"We anticipate criminal charges will be filed sometime in the near future," Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden told CNN.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 08:23 pm
@dyslexia,
You read Mosquito Coast too, huh?
dyslexia

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 08:30 pm
@roger,
yeah, I really liked it, but I like all his books. I think he also wrote Riding the Iron Rooster. (Paul Theroux)
roger

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 09:22 pm
@dyslexia,
I had quite forgotten the author. I thought it was depressing, but that probably means it's real good.
Chumly

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 09:51 pm
@DrewDad,
Personally, I found your attitude flippant at a time when the child was thought to be a) flying out of control at thousands of feet, b) suffocated, or c) fallen from a height.

In fact, I still find it flippant.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 09:52 pm
@roger,
I liked all his travel books - I've probably read five or six - and never bought one of the novels since the reviews or descriptions didn't attract my interest. I remember not buying Mosquito Coast for that reason..
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 07:25 am
I find it annoying that this guy (Richard Heene) is being billed by some news stories as an amateur scientist. He's not working on science, he's working on bullshit.

All he did was make a balloon (fake flying saucer) out of mylar and cardboard and fill it with helium. Just because he called it an "experimental aircraft" that was supposed to "hover" above the ground doesn't make it a science experiment.

If anything it was probably a hoax of a different flavor in the making. He was probably intending to float the thing away at some point and take photo's and then claim he spotted a UFO. I don't know if the "kid stuck in the basket" thing was planned, or if he just exploited it once it happened.
sozobe

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 07:35 am
@rosborne979,
Interview with some guy who says he'd planned the "flying saucer" part with Richard Heene:

http://gawker.com/5383858/exclusive-i-helped-richard-heene-plan-a-balloon-hoax

(Of course, THIS guy might be cashing in, though... he got paid for the story.)
rosborne979

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 08:02 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Interview with some guy who says he'd planned the "flying saucer" part with Richard Heene:

http://gawker.com/5383858/exclusive-i-helped-richard-heene-plan-a-balloon-hoax

(Of course, THIS guy might be cashing in, though... he got paid for the story.)

After watching some of that I think I would peg Heene as being on the fence between lunatic and colorful character.

But like a lot of people on A2K, it's hard to tell whether they are seriously crazy, or just playing crazy for the attention it gets them. I bet he would like GungaSnake (or maybe he is GungaSnake).

0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:26 am
@rosborne979,
My initial reaction also upon seeing said "saucer" on CNN.

BTW my post #3,787,431 was in humor (dry-type) as I simply re-quoted DrewDad.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:40 am
the news reports have it that criminal charges will be filed, that if proven the government agencies will go after the family for the cost of the "rescue" attempt, and that child protective services have been sicked on the family.

That will fix their wagon.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:34 pm
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_balloon_boy

Quote:

Colorado sheriff: Runaway balloon saga was hoax

By DAN ELLIOTT, Associated Press Writer Dan Elliott, Associated Press Writer " 20 mins ago

FORT COLLINS, Colo. " The parents who set off a worldwide drama by reporting their 6-year-old son was inside a flying saucer-like helium balloon hurtling over Colorado concocted the stunt to market themselves for a television show, a sheriff said Sunday.

Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden said at an extraordinarily candid news conference that the boy, Falcon Heene, may not have even been hiding in the rafters of the family's garage during the intense five-hour search for him Thursday afternoon.

"For all we know he may have been two blocks down the road playing on the swing in the city park," the sheriff said.

Alderden said the parents Richard and Mayumi Heene "put on a very good show for us, and we bought it."

The sheriff said no charges had been filed yet, and the parents weren't under arrest. He said he expected to recommend charges of conspiracy, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, making a false report to authorities and attempting to influence a public servant.

Some of the most serious charges each carry a maximum sentence of six years in prison and a $500,000 fine.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:46 pm
It sounds like these parents are extremely immature and self-centered. Didn't they realize the cost and man hours that would be used to "save" their son? Didn't they realize that while the ambulance, the police etc. were attempting to solve their so called "problem" that maybe other people did not receive the services that were truly needed?

I would hate for them to go to jail, and have to send the kids to foster homes. On the other hand, these (and other people) need to know that there are consequences.

IMO, the cost of the services spent on finding the child should be figured, and the parents made to pay for those services. If they cannot afford it, the government should make the parents provide community service that would be equal to the cost of the services that they used.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:51 pm
@Phoenix32890,
yeah, and after we hang them we should give them a fair trial.