6 Yr Old Boy Floats Away In Balloon

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:25 pm
Daedalus and Icarus
Gargamel

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:26 pm
Also: WHAT THE ****?

I'm relieved to hear little Falcon is safe and sound, okay? No qualifiers there. But I would not have wasted 15-20 minutes watching a balloon sail over greater Denver had I known there was no boy inside. I feel like an ass (yeah, I know, I know).
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:29 pm
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

Also: WHAT THE ****?

I'm relieved to hear little Falcon is safe and sound, okay? No qualifiers there. But I would not have wasted 15-20 minutes watching a balloon sail over greater Denver had I known there was no boy inside. I feel like an ass (yeah, I know, I know).

But it was exciting while it lasted.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Daedalus and Icarus

Nope...as it transpires, Daedalus and Atticus.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:41 pm
@dlowan,
oh, well . ..
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Some are blaming the father, but I can see how two boys fooling around could accidentally let it go.

I'm not blaming the father...really. But if you have little boys - and have seen them in action...I mean they do get curious and have more ability than common sense MOST of the time. Being mom to three of the little boogers - I would never park a balloon they could possibly get inside and float away in, in my back yard...UNLESS I had them locked in their rooms and the windows nailed shut.

I am sure that is not what he wanted to happen...but it seems to me - he either parked it in the back knowing that a 50lb child could not get in it and float away - or - he just didn't think it through all of the way. Maybe he just trusted that his child would obey, not factoring in the possibility of curiosity.

It just seems it could have all been avoided had he parked it in a barn that had a good lock on it. Maybe.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:46 pm
@mismi,
You are right. A little common sense precaution would have prevented all this.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 10:17 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

sozobe wrote:

Whew!!!!

Bet he's grounded.

Grounded? On the other thread on this subject it was reported that he was being "debriefed" by his father. Gotta love a euphemism like that!
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 10:25 pm
"You guys said.... that, uhm, we did this for the show"

Now that was awkward.
sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 06:10 am
@old europe,
Oooof.

That's a distressed kid.

I wonder at what level this was "for the show"? The whole thing, start to finish? Making him hide to drag out the attention/ drama?
Green Witch

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 06:15 am
@sozobe,
I agree, Soz. Six year olds tend to be really bad liars. At that age, most know the difference between the truth and a lie and have been taught to tell the truth. This kid looks very conflicted and obviously is trying to figure out WTF these grown-ups want from him.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 06:37 am
@sozobe,
This soz, is a Wah Wah moment. Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 07:21 am
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

Quote:
Some are blaming the father, but I can see how two boys fooling around could accidentally let it go.

Maybe he just trusted that his child would obey, not factoring in the possibility of curiosity.

It just seems it could have all been avoided had he parked it in a barn that had a good lock on it. Maybe.

given what I recall of this family from Wife Swap - obeying isn't part of the family gig - encouraging adventure/exploration is - locks on barns would probably be seen as discouraging the children's natural instincts

odd family. I'll bet that Wife Swap episode gets some re-runs (or is on Youtube already)
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 08:24 am
People are lame.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 08:32 am
Video shot by family of balloon taking off here:

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/16/interview-sets-off-skeptics-of-balloon-drama/?hp

(Couldn't imbed.)

Lookin' fakier and fakier. If I saw that on America's Home Video's I'd be calling fake and set-up.

And DEFINITELY no basket on the bottom, hanging off as reports had it yesterday, which again makes me cry foul. Interest was waning, he's not in the balloon, the bottom wasn't breached, he must be on the ground and safe, just a matter of finding him. Then -- stop the presses! -- actually there was a basket hanging from the balloon and he must've been in that... uh huh... that's the ticket...

The mom's in the video so she must be involved too.

Agreed, Gargamel.
sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 08:36 am
@sozobe,
Watched it with sozlet, she says they do a 3-2-1 countdown... but they say they didn't know their son might be in it?

Does this make sense to anyone?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 08:39 am
So I'm gettin' hitched in about a year and I've begun to think more concretely about what kind of father I will eventually be. A primary goal, I've decided, is to never appear on television. Particularly the news. Nor will I ever whistle at a woman who is not my wife, like in traffic or something, and say to my son, "Check that out, Chief." But now I'm starting to ramble.
sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 08:45 am
@Gargamel,
Worthy goals, all.

This is driving me crazy... what actually happened?

Dude was trying to launch a "flying saucer" and freak everyone out, then it wasn't getting enough attention on its own so he did a quick backup "my son's in that hot air balloon" attention-getting plan? (He called a television studio about half an hour in to ask that they send a news helicopter to keep track of what was going on.)

Was the "boy in balloon" angle intended from the beginning?
JPB

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 08:55 am
@sozobe,
The mom seemed genuinely surprised on the Blitzer tape when the kid said he heard them calling his name but didn't come out.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 09:34 am
@sozobe,
OK, that video clearly shows that that balloon couldn't have lifted a boy. The parents would have known.