The No Win Scenario

Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 10:16 am
@chai2,
I'm pretty sure my wife felt justified in her actions, but to be honest I don't even recall what the fuss was about. Me, I tend to forget interpersonal problems as soon as they are off my immediate radar.

Any-who your response made me laugh and it does bring up "The Law Of Unintended Consequences" as I don't know with certainty if she fully expected/intended the results she got.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 10:46 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHpH6ATr0lY[/youtube]

I'll be waiting for you to post about a personal problem.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 11:00 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
... But part of the 'freedom' that people champion ought to be the freedom to be left alone from prying neighbors.

What about our freedom to not have drug-dealing criminals living next door to us?

Quote:
But, if you aren't being harmed in any way by someone living next to you, other than your sensibilities, then you ought to leave well enough alone and get on with your life. It's the American way and it's how you would want others to treat you.

BS. Man's got a crack house going on upstairs. What do you mean he's not being harmed? What if that meth lab blows up?

You're better off arguing prostitution is a victimless crime than you are drug dealing out of one's home.

Reporting suspected criminals to the proper authorities is the American Way!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 11:03 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
... But part of the 'freedom' that people champion ought to be the freedom to be left alone from prying neighbors.

What about our freedom to not have drug-dealing criminals living next door to us?

Hmm, I missed where that freedom was enumerated, perhaps you could point it out to me?

Quote:
Quote:
But, if you aren't being harmed in any way by someone living next to you, other than your sensibilities, then you ought to leave well enough alone and get on with your life. It's the American way and it's how you would want others to treat you.

BS. Man's got a crack house going on upstairs. What do you mean he's not being harmed? What if that meth lab blows up?

Pff, crack house my ass. Don't Appeal to Extremes. The dude has people coming over several times a day, but no other indicator of drug activity; and I doubt the people coming over are super shady, or the OP certainly would have mentioned that. He's likely slinging dope or some pills.

Folks usually don't buy condos on the 2nd floor of a nice building in which to cook up their crack or some Meth, I mean, c'mon.

Quote:
You're better off arguing prostitution is a victimless crime than you are drug dealing out of one's home.

No, you wouldn't be.

Quote:
Reporting suspected criminals to the proper authorities is the American Way!

No, it most certainly isn't, Mr. McCarthy.

Cycloptichorn
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 11:30 am
@DrewDad,
He was terminally stupid..
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 11:35 am
@Cycloptichorn,
You know court TV had a case last week where a drug seller and a drug buyer got into a mild disagreement and the end result was that an 8 year old girl never got to grow up being hit by a AK round in the head.

This happen in my home town. if not in a middle class area of my home town but still in my area.

And good hard working people that enjoy having drug sellers in their areas also get to enjoy sleeping on the floor and not allowing their kids to go out to play.

Yes you are right Cycloptichorn all anyone need to do is just mind his or her own business when drug dealers set up shop and you or your children will somehow be safe from AK rounds fire almost at random or drug users looking for anyway to get ahold of funds to buy drugs.......and on and on.

As I said before any such drug dealers who try to set up shop near me will run into problems.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 11:36 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Pff, crack house my ass. Don't Appeal to Extremes. The dude has people coming over several times a day, but no other indicator of drug activity; and I doubt the people coming over are super shady, or the OP certainly would have mentioned that. He's likely slinging dope or some pills.

Folks usually don't buy condos on the 2nd floor of a nice building in which to cook up their crack or some Meth, I mean, c'mon.

I'll agree that the guy upstairs from Brandon is unlikely to be cooking or dealing meth - nice building in (is it New York?). Not so unlikely, at least the dealing, in Humboldt County.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 11:40 am
@BillRM,
Somehow I doubt that anyone is concerned with some internet tough-guy as a 'problem.'

You are also Appealing to Extremes in your argument, as the vast majority of those who sell drugs and/or buy them do not end up shooting people with AK-47s. You are using something which likely happens 1% of the time, to justify your own nosiness and sense of self-righteousness.

Do you drink? Ever considered trying to get liquor stores around closed down? All those are are legalized drug dealers... there is no difference.

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 12:07 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

I'll enjoy seeing what your hypothetical sense of humor comes up with.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 12:46 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

I'll enjoy seeing what your hypothetical sense of humor comes up with.

It's bad form to come into a thread where someone is talking about a personal dilemma and make insulting posts followed by mocking posts, but it's also a game that two can play. Typically, when people I don't like make such posts, I either stay out of them, or even have the charity to say something helpful. There's nothing holding me back from behavior like yours but my sense of decency, and you've now forfeited the right to any such consideration.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 12:52 pm
@Brandon9000,
Good lord, Brandon.

You've gotten a slew of answers, ranging from silly, to bad advice, to good advice, and you still in a dither about what to do.

The thread's clearly jumped the shark.

You take yourself way too seriously.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 12:55 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Good lord, Brandon.

You've gotten a slew of answers, ranging from silly, to bad advice, to good advice, and you still in a dither about what to do.

The thread's clearly jumped the shark.

You take yourself way too seriously.

Who says I'm in a dither about what to do? I did something this morning. The problem may go away or may not. I'm waiting to see.
engineer

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 01:11 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Who says I'm in a dither about what to do? I did something this morning. The problem may go away or may not. I'm waiting to see.

And you did....
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 01:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Do you drink? Ever considered trying to get liquor stores around closed down? All those are are legalized drug dealers... there is no difference.

Sure there's a difference: the liquor stores are not illegal. Next you're going to tell me the local grocer is a legalized drug dealer because he sells cigarettes.

It's not a liquor store, but I've been successful in closing down a nightclub near a residential neighborhood because it ran afoul of the zoning regulations -- and, coincidentally, it violated the local noise ordinance on a regular basis as well. And don't think for a second there wasn't other illegal activity going on at that nightclub (drug sales, firing weapons, public intoxication, fights, the occasional knifing, public urination, littering, etc.).

What does illegal drug activity attract? Criminals. And what do criminals do? They commit crimes. You might want criminals coming into your neighborhood, but I'd just a soon they stay out of mine.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 01:33 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

And you did....

To explain, I'll have to reveal more about the true situation. In the opening post, I stated that this was a hypothetical situation, because it is. It corresponds only about 90% with the true situation. I wanted to present a simplified, black and white version of the situation so as not to let the responses get weighed down in irrelevant details. Also, I didn't want to say too much about the real people involved.

The difference between my hypothetical and the real situation is only the following. A woman lived above me for about 10 years. We are, at most, nodding acquaintances. She has a son, who is about 18. For a couple of years, she has been trying to sell her unit without success. She is still trying. Finally, a month or so ago, she moved away, even though she hasn't sold the unit yet, leaving the son as the sole occupant of the house. That is who lives above me now. All the rest of the story and my descriptions are accurate, including the numerous people who come by almost every day. This morning at 7 AM, I called her and told her what's been going on and that it has to stop now. She assured me that it would. I'm not sure how much to rely on what she said, but she sounded sincere.

I will refuse any requests for further details about them, because I cannot be in the position of describing a third party here.
chai2

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 01:49 pm
@Brandon9000,
well **** brandon.

you finally did what my initial suggestion was.

you went to the owner, the mother, and told her that her tenant, the son, was making too much noise.

if it doesn't happen, you've got the mother to take to small claims court, as she's responsible, as the owner, for the people who live there.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 01:50 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

well **** brandon.

you finally did what my initial suggestion was.

you went to the owner, the mother, and told her that her tenant, the son, was making too much noise.

if it doesn't happen, you've got the mother to take to small claims court, as she's responsible, as the owner, for the people who live there.

I guess it would have to be real court. Small claims courts don't enforce their decisions, so you have to get a real lawyer anyway.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 01:56 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Sure there's a difference: the liquor stores are not illegal.

This is a meaningless distinction from a moral standpoint.

Quote:
Next you're going to tell me the local grocer is a legalized drug dealer because he sells cigarettes.

You are correct; those who peddle cigarettes and alcohol are drug dealers. There is no objective reason to think any differently.

Quote:
It's not a liquor store, but I've been successful in closing down a nightclub near a residential neighborhood because it ran afoul of the zoning regulations -- and, coincidentally, it violated the local noise ordinance on a regular basis as well. And don't think for a second there wasn't other illegal activity going on at that nightclub (drug sales, firing weapons, public intoxication, fights, the occasional knifing, public urination, littering, etc.).

Bully for you, what a better place the world must be now that you don't have to deal with that evil nightclub. A feather in your cap, Mr. McCarthy.

Quote:
What does illegal drug activity attract? Criminals. And what do criminals do? They commit crimes. You might want criminals coming into your neighborhood, but I'd just a soon they stay out of mine.

Snort. Your neighborhood is packed to the brim with illegal drug users, Tico. And you are kidding yourself if you don't believe it is true. Drug users cross all social and ethnic lines, all financial levels. I'm sure you know many people who use on a regular basis, or at least dabble in it; whether you recognize it or not. Some of us don't bother trying to pretend otherwise.

Purchasing drugs isn't a crime because of some inherent moral harm in the act, but because we don't know any other way to deal with the problem. However, it is becoming more and more clear that at least some drugs deserve to be fully legalized, and that the solution to America's problem with drugs is not to throw people in jail.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 02:06 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
She has a son, who is about 18.

Assuming this isn't a detail you've changed to protect the guilty, I'd think this is another reason he'd prefer to avoid cops coming to his parties. Chances are, there's underage drinking going on.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 02:19 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
She has a son, who is about 18.

Assuming this isn't a detail you've changed to protect the guilty, I'd think this is another reason he'd prefer to avoid cops coming to his parties. Chances are, there's underage drinking going on.

I just checked the legal drinking age in Florida and you're right. It's 21. I'll keep that in mind. During one party this weekend, my wife saw them running around in the parking lot with cups in their hands.
0 Replies