The No Win Scenario

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 09:05 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I was also afraid of him

They'd have to be terminally stupid to do something to someone who complained to the cops about them, though. I mean, who's the first person the cops are gonna visit if something shady happens?
BillRM

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 09:17 pm
@DrewDad,
You are right a drug dealer that for example set up in a middle class neighborhood know that he can only keep in business if he keep a low low profile.

As soon as his head get too high as in beating up a neighbor for example the cops are going to come down on him like the hammer of god.

We are living in a strange world where those who should fear us are instead fear and for no good reason.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 09:53 pm
@DrewDad,
Not that I would bet life and limb on his not being terminally stupid.
BillRM

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 10:16 pm
@roger,
Not that I would bet life and limb on his not being terminally stupid.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You do know that you run risks to your life and limb every time you get into your car or even leave your home and sooner of later you will loss your life?

I was in Keys West outside of Hemingway home once when a large heavy rotten tree limb broke off and hit me on the my right shoulder.

If I had been standing a few inch over it could had ended my life by hitting my head instead. What a silly way to die.

This I would not risk this or that is getting out of control in my opinion as you can not avoid risks and trying to avoid all low level risks take the fun out of life in my opinion.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 10:48 pm
Hi Brandon9000,

Why not figure out some way to induce him to push the envelope of legality/illegality such that the authorities do act in your favor?
BillRM

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 03:37 am
@Chumly,
The man and his friends are rabbits they would not push anything for any reason period have you not yourself come to that conclusion?
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 05:02 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
There's nothing wrong with selling drugs out of one's house, at all - as long as you are not actively harming your neighbors, they've got no business poking their nose into your ****, period. Don't give me any anti-drug moralizing bullshit, either, b/c I sure don't give a damn about that.

Aside from that thing about it being against the law. There's no reason any of us should be forced to live next to drug-dealers.

And don't give me any pro-dope-smoking, drugs-ought-to-be-legalized bullshit either. You know I don't give a damn about that.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 05:13 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

Hi Brandon9000,

Why not figure out some way to induce him to push the envelope of legality/illegality such that the authorities do act in your favor?

In past years, I have often responded to noise problems by blasting the people back to let them know that what they can do to me, I can do to them. This is a serious and persistent problem, however, and I hate to create a situation where he can respond to a noise complaint by saying that it's no different from what I do to him.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 05:23 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

The man and his friends are rabbits they would not push anything for any reason period have you not yourself come to that conclusion?

You're a stupid idiot. I've stated here over and over that the problem is the borderline nature of the thing. I've told you that I have called the police on people numerous times during my life, and gone to their door and confronted people about noise numerous times during my life, but that in those cases, the noise was always clearly loud. How would the police respond to music that's actually faint, just because I say that it's all night every night? I don't know. And, by the way, I don't for a second believe all your **** about how brave you are. Anyone can claim anything on the Internet.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 07:51 am
@Ticomaya,
Come now you should bend to Cyloptichorn threat that the evil drug dealers will harm you if you stop them drawing every lowlife within miles near your front door looking to buy drugs and to steal to fund those drugs.

The very type of threat that Cyloptichorn issue alone is enough to tell you that you do not need low lives hanging around your block.

In my area a few weeks ago, in a middle class neighborhood, someone had set up a grow house and arm hoodlums raided the wrong home looking to rip off the growthers.

An old couple was harm as a result so minding my own business mean keeping drug dealers far alway by any mean needed.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 08:49 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
There's nothing wrong with selling drugs out of one's house, at all - as long as you are not actively harming your neighbors, they've got no business poking their nose into your ****, period. Don't give me any anti-drug moralizing bullshit, either, b/c I sure don't give a damn about that.

Aside from that thing about it being against the law. There's no reason any of us should be forced to live next to drug-dealers.

And don't give me any pro-dope-smoking, drugs-ought-to-be-legalized bullshit either. You know I don't give a damn about that.

Yeah, I know you don't. But part of the 'freedom' that people champion ought to be the freedom to be left alone from prying neighbors.

There's a difference between suspecting someone of doing something illegal, and trying to get them turned in based on your suspicion, and having your life affected by people. If the OP's life was affected by whatever went on there, it's worth doing something about; and when it comes to the noise issue, that's exactly what I recommended.

But, if you aren't being harmed in any way by someone living next to you, other than your sensibilities, then you ought to leave well enough alone and get on with your life. It's the American way and it's how you would want others to treat you.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 08:50 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

The very type of threat that Cyloptichorn issue alone is enough to tell you that you do not need low lives hanging around your block.

Oh, come on. I was just pointing out that you wouldn't be the first moralizing, self-righteous old fool who found trouble when they went looking for it.

Brandon is right, nothing funnier than a wanna-be internet tough guy...

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 09:12 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Oh hot damn, this is my jam!
Keep me partyin' 'til the A. M.
Y'all don't understand
Make me throw my hands
In the ayer, ay-ayer, ayer, ay-ayer!

0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 09:13 am
@Brandon9000,
I wasn't thinking of something retaliatory and/or overt on your part, I was thinking of something to get him to break the rules overtly without you outwardly appearing to be involved. That way he comes across as the rule breaker and you remain innocent!
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 09:22 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

I wasn't thinking of something retaliatory and/or overt on your part, I was thinking of something to get him to break the rules overtly without you outwardly appearing to be involved. That way he comes across as the rule breaker and you remain innocent!

I'm open to suggestion.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 09:41 am
Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 09:44 am
@Brandon9000,
Not being right there, the best I can think of off the top of my head is the head-butting example between my wife and a neighbor from some years ago.

Any-who this neighbor never bothered me, but my wife had a bee-in-her-bonnet for this neighbor, whom I'll call X.

Any-who X invited a man to live with her, and this man was doing once work upgrading the house in exchange for room, board, (and sexual favors I might assume).

Any-who, my wife, in a spurt of evilly-enlightened-retribution anonymously contacted the city's permit division, to inquire as to whether permits had been taken out for X's renovations.

Any-who, it turned out there were no permits, no inspections, not even notifications given, thus X had to pay fines, take out permits, and undo/redo a number of the upgrades!

In consequence of this, her friend vacated, her house stayed unfinished for a number of years and X was so miffed she went about the neighborhood inquiring as to who had squealed on her.

Naturally enough, everyone denied involvement. So, at least in my wife's eyes, X had her comeuppance in full.

Now I understand you are looking at a somewhat different reality, but I assure you the essential thought processes are similar.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 09:49 am
@Chumly,
Selling people out like that out of spite will **** your karma real quick. Can't believe you would support or advocate something like that.

Cycloptichorn
Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 09:54 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Best not piss-off my wife then!
chai2

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 10:00 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

Best not piss-off my wife then!

jebus, mrs. chumly's a piece of work!

my hat's off to her.