The No Win Scenario

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 07:53 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
... although we could look at the law in Tampa.

Is that the municipality in which our hypothetical scenario is situated, Brandon?

Yes, or perhaps the relevant jurisdiction is the county, Hillsborough County.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 12:02 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
The war has already been started. You're just thinking about joining it.

Yup. He's decided the downstairs guy is toothless.
Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 12:11 pm
@DrewDad,
That's possible. But if this joker is a druggie, the odds are good that he's not thinking at all about the consequences of his actions. Criminal types are fond of claiming the police are stupid. The police are relatively successful at catching the bad guys because the bad guys are usually stupid. I suspect this joker simply hasn't thought about the likely eventual consequences of his actions, and will party on until it all comes crashing down around his ears.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 12:24 pm
The main problem is that nothing he's doing is necessarily a violation of anything. Is having a wild party at 3 AM against the law if the music is only faint in the unit below? Is stomping and yelling so that they can be heard clearly below but not so much anywhere else against a noise ordinance? I don't know. Is the frequency of parties against a law? He's existing in an area in which is actions make life down below unpleasant, but it isn't clear that anything except decency has been violated. It really isn't clear what to do. The police can be called, but the music is probably barely audible in the parking lot.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 12:37 pm
@Brandon9000,
If he's a druggie, then he doesn't care about breaking the rules. He doesn't care if he bothers other people. He only cares about getting caught.

If he's not a druggie, then he still clearly doesn't care if he bothers other people. If your lifestyle is such that you have parties until three a.m., then the responsible thing to do is not buy an upstairs condo. Tampa isn't New York, where your only option is to live in a condo.

One of the reasons we have police is to let them sort out disputes like this, so it doesn't come to something like what Farmerman described.

I've called the police on noisy neighbors before. It stopped the noise, even though I had to call 'em out several times on one neighbor. The dispatcher gives you the option of talking to the police when they come out; you can ask them if you should call 'em again or wait until the noise is more obnoxious.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 12:38 pm
@Brandon9000,
If you ever decide whether you're going to tinkle or get off the potty, then let us know. I suppose we should have known by the title of the post that you'd already made up your mind....
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 12:40 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

If he's a druggie, then he doesn't care about breaking the rules. He doesn't care if he bothers other people. He only cares about getting caught.

If he's not a druggie, then he still clearly doesn't care if he bothers other people. If your lifestyle is such that you have parties until three a.m., then the responsible thing to do is not buy an upstairs condo. Tampa isn't New York, where your only option is to live in a condo.

One of the reasons we have police is to let them sort out disputes like this, so it doesn't come to something like what Farmerman described.

I've called the police on noisy neighbors before. It stopped the noise, even though I had to call 'em out several times on one neighbor. The dispatcher gives you the option of talking to the police when they come out; you can ask them if you should call 'em again or wait until the noise is more obnoxious.

You may be right. Probably you are. It's just more clearcut if the noise is actually loud, rather than just unpleasantly audible through the ceiling all night long.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 12:41 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

If you ever decide whether you're going to tinkle or get off the potty, then let us know. I suppose we should have known by the title of the post that you'd already made up your mind....

What would you do, then, go upstairs and confront 15 people with your AK-47? Talk is cheap. As I said, everything stays just barely on the right side of what I take to be the rules. Actually, speaking for myself, I have called the police on neighbors for noise many times, but it was usually a case where anyone would agree that the music was just plain loud.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 10:56 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
What would you do, then, go upstairs and confront 15 people with your AK-47?

I would have thought my suggestion would be crystal clear by now: call the cops during his noisy parties.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 11:01 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
I would have thought my suggestion would be crystal clear by now: call the cops during his noisy parties

And they will NEVER be able to figure out who called, right? Are you assuming that they are as dumb as bricks?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 11:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
For a refreshing change, I'll agree with hawkeye. You the caller can become the obvious aggressor.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 06:24 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

I would have thought my suggestion would be crystal clear by now: call the cops during his noisy parties.

That can be done, and probably should be done, but bear in mind that the music is never more than slightly audible down below, and probably almost not at all from the parking lot. If you're thinking about a standard music disturbance, this isn't it. This past Sunday morning from 12 AM to 1:20 AM, there was a very rowdy party upstairs, but no music at all was played. I'm not sure how the cops would respond in this situation, because the issue is only that the sound is unpleasant in the unit down below and the parties are frequent. When one thinks of calling the cops, one thinks of a situation where there is music which is loud outside of the home it is being played in, and that isn't the situation here. If it were, the cops would have been called long ago. For you, this is a few seconds at the keyboard talking to virtual people. To us, this is here and now.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:22 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
When one thinks of calling the cops, one thinks of a situation where there is music which is loud outside of the home it is being played in, and that isn't the situation here.

No, that's what you think of when you think of calling the cops.

When I think of calling the cops, it's because my neighbor is being too loud, whether there is music blasting or not.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:26 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
And they will NEVER be able to figure out who called, right? Are you assuming that they are as dumb as bricks?

The guy's being a noisy neighbor, not threatening anyone with bodily harm.

You're letting yourself be ruled by your fears, not by rationality.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 09:38 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

That can be done, and probably should be done, but bear in mind that the music is never more than slightly audible down below, and probably almost not at all from the parking lot. If you're thinking about a standard music disturbance, this isn't it. This past Sunday morning from 12 AM to 1:20 AM, there was a very rowdy party upstairs, but no music at all was played. I'm not sure how the cops would respond in this situation, because the issue is only that the sound is unpleasant in the unit down below and the parties are frequent. When one thinks of calling the cops, one thinks of a situation where there is music which is loud outside of the home it is being played in, and that isn't the situation here. If it were, the cops would have been called long ago. For you, this is a few seconds at the keyboard talking to virtual people. To us, this is here and now.

Jesus Brandon.

Google the ordinances for the city you live in, pick up the phone and call your city hall. DO something.

If you can hear the music, and it's disturbing you, then it's a disturbance. It's not happening on an occassional basis, like once every couple of months, it's happening all the time.

No one could dispute this is violating your right to an acceptable level of peace and quiet.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 09:43 am
Dude, the music doesn't have to be at a level which is super-loud to call the cops, and it will still have your intended effect - call the cops, they will show up and knock on the dude's door whether the music is too loud at that exact moment or not.

All this bullshit about turning the dude in for dealing some dope is ridiculous, if that aspect of his life isn't causing you a problem, don't get bad karma by selling someone out to the cops.

I would still have one more conversation and just lay it out with the dude, man to man...

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 09:55 am
I don't know much about the legalities, but one thought I had (since you own):

http://www.acousticalsource.com/ceiling-soundproofing.html
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 10:55 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Dude, the music doesn't have to be at a level which is super-loud to call the cops, and it will still have your intended effect - call the cops, they will show up and knock on the dude's door whether the music is too loud at that exact moment or not.

All this bullshit about turning the dude in for dealing some dope is ridiculous, if that aspect of his life isn't causing you a problem, don't get bad karma by selling someone out to the cops.

I would still have one more conversation and just lay it out with the dude, man to man...

Cycloptichorn

Dude, you and I are on the same page.
I have no idea why some are overcomplicating it with the possible drug ****.

damn, there's always a few people in your building, on your block that sell/buy/do it.
I live in a nice neighborhood, a lot of the house's are 5-600K and up. I go for a walk on Sunday morning and can always smell weed coming from half a dozen houses or more. Who cares?
This isn't about that, it's about the freaking noise. If he gets busted over that, I'd consider it collateral damage.

Personally I think brandons given him enough warnings, but, I could see where he could tell the guy "look, I've had enough. I'm going to start calling the cops, starting tonight, if you don't keep it down"

Why is this so hard?
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 11:13 am
@chai2,
Good point.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 11:28 am
@chai2,
chai2 is almost never right, but, sometimes she is.
0 Replies