The No Win Scenario

High Seas

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 12:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
He has said a very great deal against the 2nd Amendment on other occasions, but that's irrelevant to the topic here, except as it might endanger Brandon's friends, should they be inclined to follow stupid advice. Note that includes ANY kind of direct complaint, armed or unarmed. Hope that finally answers your question.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 12:49 pm
@farmerman,
The point should be obvious - going by recent experience you're hardly an expert on urban criminal statistics.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 12:52 pm
@MontereyJack,
Monterey - I know David personally and know part of his work in the law. As and when he gets to this thread he'll be able to say something about that part of his work, I'm honor bound to say nothing.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 12:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

High Seas wrote:

David knows a very great deal about legal - and non-legal - consequences of threatening anyone with a gun. In fact I can't believe that such an idiotic idea was floated by way of advice to begin with - not even the naivete of the poster who suggested it can begin to excuse it. The FIRST thing taught about shooting is always point the gun at the ground or at the target. The SECOND thing is NEVER to point it at another person UNLESS you're prepared to SHOOT the person. Ignorance in the advice given here so far is compounded by stupidity: pointing a gun at a suspected drug dealer is sure to cause prompt reaction by his "security" associates - all of whom are armed, none of whom has gone through formal training in firearms. Why not have Brandon's friends wear T-shirts with this picture to make it real easy for when they're out of their home, of course known to said security associates?
http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4511333/Bullseye-main_Full.jpg
It's a standard joke on a2k to call on David this way.

Edgar - the post you quote is indeed mine except for the last sentence; I'm assuming an editing error on your part - not a big deal, just noting this for the record.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 12:56 pm
@Brandon9000,
They should call the police about the noise, but they should call the vice squad about the drug dealer type behavior. Tips like this is how they make arrests. All you have to do is describe your neighbor's behavior and let them take it from there.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 12:56 pm
The comment was mine.
Ceili

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 01:09 pm
Don't give a guy you suspect could be involved in criminal activity any type of warning ever! That was the stupid bit of advice, the Dave stuff was funny. Ironic.

Re: The revolving door upstairs. Call the police. Let them do their job.
Re: Noise. You've asked nicely several times and they haven't done what you've asked. Don't confront them again, get a lawyer and have him do it.
farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 01:20 pm
@Ceili,
The problem was that High Seas decided to start getting all pompous and preachy. I thought everyone would get it, apparently not.

I suppose if I said that "High Seas, go play in the traffic" I should immdeiately follow with a disclaimer and a warning for people NOT to go play in the traffic.

I think even Dave would have offered a smile.
High Seas

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 01:29 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Don't give a guy you suspect could be involved in criminal activity any type of warning ever! That was the stupid bit of advice, the Dave stuff was funny. Ironic. ...................

Exactly the point - even Farmerman should get it now.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 01:41 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

This is a funny construction, sort of a 'I have a friend who is kind of pregnant...' But, let's assume that it's not you that we're talking about.

I'd lay 10-1 odds that the dude is a marijuana dealer. No big deal there.

But the noise thing is a big deal. Start calling the cops. At the very least, leave an anonymous note on the door saying that the cops WILL be called if the noise continues, and people who don't want cops coming by their place should keep that in mind before having loud-ass parties and music all night.

Cycloptichorn

I really appreciate your input, but the thing is, that I'm not sure a law is being broken. When he plays his music, it's faint in my bedroom, right on the borderline of decent behavior, as I said, but even faint music is annoying at 3 AM, particularly if it has a lot of drums. Furthermore, I would bet that no other owner hears much, since my ceiling is his floor. I'm not sure what the police would be willing to do in this situation.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 01:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
No problem Edgar, thanks. You read news, unlike Farmerman, so you probably came across that bit of info from a drug + alcohol rehab center on the Mexican side of the border >
Quote:
Just yards from the U.S. border in Ciudad Juarez, a group of gunmen burst into a rehab clinic last month, lined up 17 patients and murdered them. Blood flowed out onto the sidewalk. "We never received any threats, they just came in and started shooting," said a survivor of the clinic attack who declined to give his name for fear of reprisals. "We never hid anyone from any gang, we didn't have anything to hide."

> but less well known are similar events (though not involving killings) in rehab centers in our own prisons. That was the reason for the 3-day-long fighting between black and hispanic inmates in a prison east of LA some weeks ago. I didn't even know they divide prisoners by race - apparently it's for their own safety. I do know that anyone who wants any kind of drug in Manhattan only has to hand a hundred-dollar bill to the nearest doorman or barman and wait 5 minutes. It's a multi-billion dollar business and there's some serious protection backing it up.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 01:47 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Are "the couple" the only people bothered by the noise? Is there only one unit that shares walls/floor-ceiling with the problematic unit? Is the problematic person a renter or owner?

This is one of the key issues. The couple are probably the only ones, because they get the music right through their bedroom ceiling. Sometimes it is audible in the living room too, but trying to have some peace in the bedroom is the main issue. The upstairs owner, and he is an owner, always keeps the music at the point where in their bedroom it is low, but annoying. The party-goers or guests jumping up and down and yelling is actually louder than the music. He goes to sleep with the music, so it goes all night long. He thinks nothing of starting a party at 1 AM. It's also somewhat disturbing to have 10 or a dozen guests coming and going every day. And, he doesn't spend part of his time at a job or school either. As I mentioned, he has no visible means of support, although one can only guess at his situation.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 01:48 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Monterey - I live in Manhattan. The chic part of Manhattan, admittedly, but even so I know what's happening around town in my own borough as well as in surrounding areas like the Bronx. If the guy really is a drug dealer there's countless other ways to get him out of there - threatening him with or without a gun, and complaining about the noise have got to be the absolutely last things to attempt. It's not a funny subject. David will be able to say more about the crime statistics in our town - part of his legal work involved them.

One might guess how he supports himself, but it's all speculation without a shred of evidence.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 01:50 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

They should call the police about the noise, but they should call the vice squad about the drug dealer type behavior. Tips like this is how they make arrests. All you have to do is describe your neighbor's behavior and let them take it from there.

This is just the point. That's an unworkable suggestion, because one can only take wild guesses how he supports himself, and the noise is annoying to the couple, but probably doesn't rise to the level of violating a noise ordinance. But it's there pretty much every night and often during the day.
BorisKitten

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 02:03 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
@High Seas,
SOmebody needs a nap.

Or to switch to Decaf.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 02:06 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon - thanks, I think all of us got the picture by now. What you can do is send the info to whichever is the nearest FBI office to you, here's the one in Manhattan >
Quote:
26 Federal Plaza, 23rd Floor
New York, NY 10278-0004
Phone: (212) 384-1000
Fax: (212) 384-4073 / 4074
E-mail: [email protected]

> making it very clear it's speculation, and give address of premises, description of person, name and cellphone number if available - you don't have to sign, they accept anonymous tips - so they can see if anything comes up on their database. If it's just a noise-related nuisance there's nothing they can do, and if it's some kind of small-time dealing with no major gang affiliation they'll probably just tip off the local police. Leave it at that and buy earplugs in the meantime Smile
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 02:09 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Brandon - thanks, I think all of us got the picture by now. What you can do is send the info to whichever is the nearest FBI office to you, here's the one in Manhattan >
Quote:
26 Federal Plaza, 23rd Floor
New York, NY 10278-0004
Phone: (212) 384-1000
Fax: (212) 384-4073 / 4074
E-mail: [email protected]

> making it very clear it's speculation, and give address of premises, description of person, name and cellphone number if available - you don't have to sign, they accept anonymous tips - so they can see if anything comes up on their database. If it's just a noise-related nuisance there's nothing they can do, and if it's some kind of small-time dealing with no major gang affiliation they'll probably just tip off the local police. Leave it at that and buy earplugs in the meantime Smile

I really do appreciate your concern and help, but this would be a very big step based only on someone not having a job and having lots of visitors. I can guarantee that the couple wouldn't be willing to do that under these circumstances, with no evidence whatever of anything.
High Seas

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 02:12 pm
@Brandon9000,
Agreed. Best to wait and see if anything comes up first by way of confirmation on drugs etc.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 02:34 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:

This is just the point. That's an unworkable suggestion, because one can only take wild guesses how he supports himself, and the noise is annoying to the couple, but probably doesn't rise to the level of violating a noise ordinance. But it's there pretty much every night and often during the day.

Tipping off the police to unusual behavior is not unworkable. My Dad is ex-police and he's done this a couple of times. Once, someone moved in across from him, boarded up the windows and started having trucks come in at night. A tip to police resulted in arrests a couple weeks later. If it comes to nothing, then it comes to nothing, but alerting police to strange behavior is just being a good citizen.
farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 02:47 pm
@High Seas,
I used toplay on a softball team and all the team members had tee shirts that said "WITNESS PROTECTION PROGRAM". You should have seen the numbers of folks who were serious when they asked whether we were required to wear them. Some, (Ill bet they were from NYC) opined that wearing these Tee shirts was putting our lives in danger and wasnt a very smart thing to do.

I was rarely shot at.