@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
..........I was rarely shot at.....

Surely that settles it. Finally.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 02:55 pm
@engineer,
Engineer - just curious here: was the guy across the street from your dad using his house as a fence?
engineer

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 02:58 pm
@High Seas,
The police never told him and he was off the force by then, but that was Dad's opinion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 04:06 pm
We have reported probable drug activity in my neighborhood. The police were discreet and in one case made an arrest. In the others, the people moved out.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 04:07 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
One might guess how he supports himself, but it's all speculation without a shred of evidence.

You have some evidence, you just don't have proof.

Engineer's right; you tell the police of your suspicions, and let them sort it out. You can even call Crimestoppers anonymously, I believe.

Think of that girl that was kidnapped and imprisoned for 20 years; the neighbors had suspicions, but never acted, because they didn't have proof.

Now, marijuana dealing is pretty benign, but you can't be sure that that's all that's going on, either.

Having lived in apartments for a while, I know you're also within your rights to call the cops if the noise is too loud.

Also, are the visitors taking up parking spaces to which they aren't allowed? The condo management should be able to do something about that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 04:23 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:
Edgar - how's with you read before posting? Thanks.

This is hilarious . . . and pathetic. You responded to Drew Dad's post, and said "another fire arms expert." His post made no reference to fire arms. Get a grip.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 04:29 pm
@High Seas,
i've been led to believe that you're bright

yet outside of technical advice given in most posts, i see little evidence of it

you need to lighten up a little, maybe acquire a sense of humour
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 04:31 pm
okay....offering some constructive advice here...

I had a problem like this with a neighbor 2 doors down. He rented the house.

He was an artist, and painted at night, outside, with loud music.

If I had to do it all over, I would have started calling the police a lot earlier, and a lot more often.

I called them once, with temporary results. Called them again a few nights later. This time I met them outside as they were leaving, and asked them what exactly was the definition of too loud, as far as music.
The police said that if I was being bothered by it, it was too loud.

I ended up calling the police one more time. After that I looked on the property tax appraisal website and found out who the owner was. I sent her a letter, copying her renter, listing the problem, and her responsibility as owner of the property. I wrote that if the noise did not stop within some stated amount of time, I was taking her to court.

It was funny, she called me at work (I provided the number in the letter), and tried to make it sound like I was being out of line. I just kept ending my responses with the fact he was HER tenant, SHE owned the house, and it was HER responsibility.
She told me she was going to talk to her lawyers about this, and that they would be contacting me. I told her I was looking foward to it.

The neighbor's music stopped within 24 hours, and there was never a problem after that.

If something like that ever happened again, regardless is it was a renter or an owner, I would make a royal pain of myself and call the police every single night. More often if necessary.

Me, I wouldn't give the obnoxious neighbor warning, I'd just start calling the police anytime he was too loud after 10pm.
djjd62

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 04:33 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

I live in Manhattan. The chic part of Manhattan, admittedly

oh my, i'm so impressed
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 04:40 pm
Begin openly taping the people coming in and out and their cars license plates.

Should get a interesting reaction to say the least.

Second if you have a friend in law enforcement get him or her to visit you often and hang ar0und outside in uniform.

Keep complaining about the public nuisance at all levels of local government.

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 05:43 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

okay....offering some constructive advice here...

I had a problem like this with a neighbor 2 doors down. He rented the house.

He was an artist, and painted at night, outside, with loud music.

If I had to do it all over, I would have started calling the police a lot earlier, and a lot more often.

I called them once, with temporary results. Called them again a few nights later. This time I met them outside as they were leaving, and asked them what exactly was the definition of too loud, as far as music.
The police said that if I was being bothered by it, it was too loud.

I ended up calling the police one more time. After that I looked on the property tax appraisal website and found out who the owner was. I sent her a letter, copying her renter, listing the problem, and her responsibility as owner of the property. I wrote that if the noise did not stop within some stated amount of time, I was taking her to court.

It was funny, she called me at work (I provided the number in the letter), and tried to make it sound like I was being out of line. I just kept ending my responses with the fact he was HER tenant, SHE owned the house, and it was HER responsibility.
She told me she was going to talk to her lawyers about this, and that they would be contacting me. I told her I was looking foward to it.

The neighbor's music stopped within 24 hours, and there was never a problem after that.

If something like that ever happened again, regardless is it was a renter or an owner, I would make a royal pain of myself and call the police every single night. More often if necessary.

Me, I wouldn't give the obnoxious neighbor warning, I'd just start calling the police anytime he was too loud after 10pm.

Thanks for your input. Bear in mind that the music is audible but low in the bedroom, but after midnight, even audible is too much, and particularly if there are drums.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 05:47 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Begin openly taping the people coming in and out and their cars license plates.

Should get a interesting reaction to say the least.

Second if you have a friend in law enforcement get him or her to visit you often and hang ar0und outside in uniform.

Keep complaining about the public nuisance at all levels of local government.

1. I am not sure the couple would want to go to the parking lot and film people coming out and their cars during a 15 person party. That's really asking quite a lot. It sounds like a great way to get into a vastly unequal fist fight.
2. No one involved knows a policeman, and particularly not one who would like to spend hours hanging around. This is not a realistic suggestion.
3. I am not sure what you mean by complain at all levels of government. I doubt that the chamber of congress would care that the neighbor upstairs plays music through the night at a level that is audible, but possibly just within the boundaries of propriety.

These are the kinds of things that would happen in movies, but not so much in real life.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 06:09 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

That, although it has been stated in this thread previously, is the best advice that's been offered.

Have you researched the noise violation laws in your area? I certainly would not expect that the beat officer who responds to your calls has. I would research the issue, know the law, and be prepared to educate the police as necessary. Maybe it has to be a particular decibel level, maybe there is a time frame involved (i.e., must be quieter after 10 p.m.), maybe the noise must merely be "annoying" to a person of reasonable sensibilities residing in an adjoining property to be a noise violation. I suggest you check it out before you discount the possibility that a violation of the law is occurring. I'm sure you could persuade the officer that you are suitably annoyed at 1:00 a.m. when the music is keeping you awake.

Keep calling the police out there. Squeaky wheel, etc. The cops will begin to know you, and your noisy friend will probably not like the attention being drawn to his parties.
BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 06:11 pm
@Brandon9000,
When someone is going to buy dugs they are not looking to have the police come down on them because of a fist fight of course I would had a stun gun, mace and my 357 along with me just in case I was wrong.

What part of local government did you not get? No one said anything about congress. Of course visiting the local DEA office would not hurt.

Zoning department, police department, local politicians, the local news as in asking them about doing a story about having a possible drug house next door.

You went to shine one hell of a bright light on this so they will decide to move somewhere else.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 06:52 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

When someone is going to buy dugs they are not looking to have the police come down on them because of a fist fight of course I would had a stun gun, mace and my 357 along with me just in case I was wrong.

What part of local government did you not get? No one said anything about congress. Of course visiting the local DEA office would not hurt.

Zoning department, police department, local politicians, the local news as in asking them about doing a story about having a possible drug house next door.

You went to shine one hell of a bright light on this so they will decide to move somewhere else.

The idea that the husband should get into a fight with 15 people, but bring a stun gun and mace is completely insane. No one in real life wants to do something like this. Visiting the local DEA office because the neighbor doesn't have a job, but has many visitors is also a completely unrealistic idea.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 06:52 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

chai2 wrote:

That, although it has been stated in this thread previously, is the best advice that's been offered.

Have you researched the noise violation laws in your area? I certainly would not expect that the beat officer who responds to your calls has. I would research the issue, know the law, and be prepared to educate the police as necessary. Maybe it has to be a particular decibel level, maybe there is a time frame involved (i.e., must be quieter after 10 p.m.), maybe the noise must merely be "annoying" to a person of reasonable sensibilities residing in an adjoining property to be a noise violation. I suggest you check it out before you discount the possibility that a violation of the law is occurring. I'm sure you could persuade the officer that you are suitably annoyed at 1:00 a.m. when the music is keeping you awake.

Keep calling the police out there. Squeaky wheel, etc. The cops will begin to know you, and your noisy friend will probably not like the attention being drawn to his parties.

It would probably start a war, but is sensible and worth thinking about. Thanks.
BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 07:09 pm
@Brandon9000,
The idea that the husband should get into a fight with 15 people, but bring a stun gun and mace is completely insane. No one in real life wants to do something like this. Visiting the local DEA office because the neighbor doesn't have a job, but has many visitors is also a completely unrealistic idea.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You first stated that legally taping in public might or likely would bring on an assault of 15 people and yet you think that being arm is insane!

Sorry you can not have it both ways if they are not doing anything illegal then there would be no need or desire to attack someone taping now would there be?

An assault would prove that they are both up to illegal acts and would give anyone the right to used force to protect themselves. A 15 to one or two attack could even be of a nature of that a reasonable person would be in fear of great bodily harm or lost of life and therefore allow deadly force in reply.

So if they are peaceful and not up to illegal acts they might feel it is strange and amusing that someone is taping them but that would hardly be something that would start an assault.

And there is no way on this earth or any other earth that I would allow a drug house to be set up next door to me.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 07:20 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You first stated that legally taping in public might or likely would bring on an assault of 15 people and yet you think that being arm is insane!

Sorry you can not have it both ways if they are not doing anything illegal then there would be no need or desire to attack someone taping now would there be?

An assault would prove that they are both up to illegal acts and would give anyone the right to used force to protect themselves. A 15 to one or two attack could even be of a nature of that a reasonable person would be in fear of great bodily harm or lost of life and therefore allow deadly force in reply.

So if they are peaceful and not up to illegal acts they might feel it is strange and amusing that someone is taping them but that would hardly be something that would start an assault.

And there is no way on this earth or any other earth that I would allow a drug house to be set up next door to me.

So, how many times in your life so far have you deliberately put yourself in a position likely to create a fight with a dozen or more people in order to draw attention to something?
BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 07:21 pm
@Brandon9000,
Oh the police when they think there might be a drug house normly set up a buy/bust with an informer so demanding that they check this out and see if they can do a buy bust is more then reasonable.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 07:28 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Oh the police when they think there might be a drug house normly set up a buy/bust with an informer so demanding that they check this out and see if they can do a buy bust is more then reasonable.

I asked you how many times in your life so far you've deliberately put yourself in a position likely to create a fight with a dozen or more people in order to draw attention to something.
0 Replies