Ticomaya

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 01:14 pm
@chai2,
In a word: What she said.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 02:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
And they will NEVER be able to figure out who called, right? Are you assuming that they are as dumb as bricks?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just love people who live in fear and allow all kind of nonsense to go on around them for fear of what might be done to them if they dare to take actions.

Sorry sometime taking a little risk is needed and can even be a duty.

Hell I had place myself at risk to have fun in my life such as skydiving or ultralight flying for example.

Placing myself at some low level risk so I can sleep at night would be a no brainer and I would not care one little bit if they knew who was complaining.

Rabbits and lions both end up dead but on the whole lions seem to enjoy life more and at least they can get a good night sleep<grin>.

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 02:55 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

And they will NEVER be able to figure out who called, right? Are you assuming that they are as dumb as bricks?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just love people who live in fear and allow all kind of nonsense to go on around them for fear of what might be done to them if they dare to take actions.

Sorry sometime taking a little risk is needed and can even be a duty.

Hell I had place myself at risk to have fun in my life such as skydiving or ultralight flying for example.

Placing myself at some low level risk so I can sleep at night would be a no brainer and I would not care one little bit if they knew who was complaining.

Rabbits and lions both end up dead but on the whole lions seem to enjoy life more and at least they can get a good night sleep<grin>.

You persist in referring to a grossly simplified version of this situation. The issue isn't a willingness to call the police on a simple noise disturbance. This isn't an issue of music that's too loud. The problem is the that there is faint music with drums, footsteps, and whooping coming through the ceiling almost every day. Sometimes it's only footsteps and yelling or laughing with no music, but it's almost every day. The noise is never beyond the limits of decency, but it is right at the limit almost daily, often in the small hours of the morning. You also referred to turning the neighbor in to the DEA, without seeming to notice that there isn't a shred of evidence of drug related activity. I would really love to know if you behave the way you counsel others to. I doubt that anyone would last very long living according to your advice. This isn't a movie or a novel.
BillRM

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 03:16 pm
@Brandon9000,
You persist in referring to a grossly simplified version of this situation. The issue isn't a willingness to call the police on a simple noise disturbance. This isn't an issue of music that's too loud. The problem is the that there is faint music with drums, footsteps, and whooping coming through the ceiling almost every day. Sometimes it's only footsteps and yelling or laughing with no music, but it's almost every day. The noise is never beyond the limits of decency, but it is right at the limit almost daily, often in the small hours of the morning. You also referred to turning the neighbor in to the DEA, without seeming to notice that there isn't a shred of evidence of drug related activity. I would really love to know if you behave the way you counsel others to. I doubt that anyone would last very long living according to your advice. This isn't a movie or a novel.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lord how simple can you be if there is constant traffic going in and out then there is more then a slight reason to think that this is not being used as zone as a family housing but some kind of business is being run.

A simple call to zoning stating that you think that your neighbors is running some form of a business would be a good start. You do not what to end up on the wrong side of zoning department. Any number of my neighbors needed to either tear down long standing structures or pay a fortune making the zoning people happy. I needed myself to prove to them that my added porch had indeed been license correctly and they are the one in error.

A letter to the owner of the condo by a lawyer stating that her renters are interfering with the peaceful used of your home and that if it is not stop legal actions might be taken as in a civil suit.

A complain to the condo board and on and on we go.

No one need to be a rabbit however I can not understand why a rabbit is asking us what we would do and then stating it can not be done because you and your friends are rabbits.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 03:20 pm
@BillRM,
Do you not realize, that selling your neighbors out to the authorities over a noise complaint is a really, really dick thing to do?

Cycloptichorn
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 03:23 pm
@Brandon9000,
It can be scary to report questionable stuff to the police, and rightfully scary. In some areas, gangs control neighborhoods by this fear route.

I do see Brandon's point, re the continuing presence of obnoxious but borderline sound irritation.

On the police - I've had two situations, one a long time ago. We had a neighbor whose nephew was a self taught guitarist (electric) who tended to 'practice' at full volume in the wee hours in his room that was about eight feet from our bedroom. We called the police something like eight times, with no diminution of the noise. The good news was that he eventually moved.

In another more recent situation, I had a view through the window above my kitchen sink to an apartment building across the street. All sorts of traffic.. of the ten minute type. My thought was meth distribution, ever so popular in my last home town. I considered calling the police, perhaps they could set up a sting. But I didn't know it was meth, which I do feel differently about than pot, if only re chance of fire with its production. I ended up telling the landlord, whom I knew on a business basis, and it turned out that he already provided the tenant with a cleaning service. The service staff then confirmed bad doo doo going on (I don't remember if it was meth production), and the tenants were soon outta there. I did learn one thing... people never look up (my house being set on a 42" high basement foundation).

This was of course not a solution for Brandon, since his noisemaker is an owner.
Plus, I'm not sure I did the right thing, in retrospect.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 03:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
With the electric guitarist at one in the morning I felt homicidal. I was also afraid of him - he was big, and had (they said) roughed up his elderly aunt who had kindly taken him in. Would I call the police again? Yes.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 03:42 pm
@ossobuco,
I guess I should add that I'm acquainted with all sorts of neighborhoods. I've lived in some upper middle class places, and three blocks from the heart of gang territory, and later in a redlined lower middle class area that was about ten blocks from that same heart of gang territory. My ex was raised in south LA, and his parents continued to live there well past what conventional wisdom would indicate.

On top of it, I've just been reading about Rio de Janiero and the favelas - speaking of gangs - in last week's New Yorker (and trying to imagine how they're all going to deal with the olympics).

I think neighborhoods can tip into fear and loathing.. I do believe in neighborhood watch associations. That lower middle class neighborhood I mentioned was actually a good neighborhood, the first one where I did know a great many of my neighbors.

So, do these condos have an association of some sort? Just wondering if there are procedures for complaints...

And, Soz's idea about ceiling acoustics makes sense.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 04:17 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Do you not realize, that selling your neighbors out to the authorities over a noise complaint is a really, really dick thing to do?

Cycloptichorn
----------------------------------------------------------
Not if I am losing sleep in my own home it is not.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 04:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Not if you've gone to their door more than once with the complaint. That's all the courtesy to which they're entitled.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 04:28 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Not if you've gone to their door more than once with the complaint. That's all the courtesy to which they're entitled.

I'm not worried about calling in the noise complaint; you will note that I recommended calling the cops for exactly that purpose.

My objection was to reporting someone as a drug dealer/whatever, OVER a noise complaint. That's low and a Dick move.

Cycloptichorn
BillRM

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 04:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
My objection was to reporting someone as a drug dealer/whatever, OVER a noise complaint. That's low and a Dick move.

Cycloptichorn
Sorry but if there is constant traffic in and out there is reason to think that someone is running a business out of that home and the odds would be good that it might be a drug business.

Having the police check it out and if it is not a drug business then what the harm done?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 04:59 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Cycloptichorn
Sorry but if there is constant traffic in and out there is reason to think that someone is running a business out of that home and the odds would be good that it might be a drug business.

Having the police check it out and if it is not a drug business then what the harm done?

There's nothing wrong with selling drugs out of one's house, at all - as long as you are not actively harming your neighbors, they've got no business poking their nose into your ****, period. Don't give me any anti-drug moralizing bullshit, either, b/c I sure don't give a damn about that.

The noise complaint is not connected to his possible employment as a drug dealer and shouldn't enter into the picture at all.

Cycloptichorn
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 05:15 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

...No one need to be a rabbit however I can not understand why a rabbit is asking us what we would do and then stating it can not be done because you and your friends are rabbits.

You persistently don't read what I post before you answer. If this were a simple case of too much noise, the police would have been called long ago. I've called the police on people for noise about 10 times during my life and confronted people making too much noise at about 10 times. It's the fact that nothing he does is exactly against a rule that makes it difficult. I'm not sure how the police would react to the statement, "he does this every day" that makes me hesitate, especially, if part of the problem is just footsteps and voices. How many freaking times do I have to say it before it registers? I do now agree with what people have said that a noise nuisance is reason to call, even if it doesn't fit the classical idea of a noise violation.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 06:07 pm
@BillRM,
Actually, they are probably not involved in drugs. I say this because Brandon knows them to be condo owners, not renters.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 06:39 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
There's nothing wrong with selling drugs out of one's house, at all - as long as you are not actively harming your neighbors, they've got no business poking their nose into your ****, period. Don't give me any anti-drug moralizing bullshit, either, b/c I sure don't give a damn about that.

The noise complaint is not connected to his possible employment as a drug dealer and shouldn't enter into the picture at all.

Cycloptichorn
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOL I strongly strongly suggest that if you ever decide to sell drugs out of your home you not to do so anywhere near me as I would be in your face from day one and I would be poking my nose and other body parts into your drug business until they take you alway in handcuffed.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 07:03 pm
@BillRM,
Such attitudes are bad for people's health, Bill. I guarantee.

Why don't you stick to riding on the sidewalk and stay out of other people's business?

Cycloptichorn
BillRM

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 07:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Having drug users hanging around and stealing everything in sight so they can buy your drugs would also be annoying.

In any case I would cheerfully bet my life on my ability to blow the head off of a drug dealer at a hundred feet if need be with one round from my 357 handgun.

No need to bring out my heavy weapons so my health will be just fine but thank you for your concern.

Good people should not allow fear to stop them from driving **** back into the swamp where they belong.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:08 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

...In any case I would cheerfully bet my life on my ability to blow the head off of a drug dealer at a hundred feet if need be with one round from my 357 handgun....

My reading is that everything BRM says is pure fantasy. Anyone can say anything on the Internet. He was probably in the SEALs too.
BillRM

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:41 pm
@Brandon9000,
My reading is that everything BRM says is pure fantasy. Anyone can say anything on the Internet. He was probably in the SEALs too.
0 Replies
----------------------------------------------------------------
No seal and no military background or police background just a guy who love to go shooting at the outdoor range. Lord I am good very good indeed.

And I did in my younger days enjoy skydiving and my old MX ultralight was fun to fly.

I picked her up for only a thousand dollars but I needed to then put a thousand dollars plus into her to get her flying and another thousand dollars to learn to fly her without killing myself.

All the above is hardly all that remarkable and if I was writing fantasy I would do a far more interesting job of it.

Let see I would be a mountain climber and maybe a ranger instead of a seal and a commerce 747 pilot and a great lover. Oh I am a great lover<grin> or at least I married a woman able to tell me that with a straight face.

If you Brandon9000 consider such to be so far out as to be fantasy then you are living more of a dull life by far then me and I consider my life fairly dull but for the times I had taken my life in my hands and dare to ride on the sidewalk<grin>.

Hmm maybe my life is far out to one with a rabbit type makeup?

Is that it someone who had run any risks in his life at all is beyond your understanding even those there are millions of people good at handling firearms and hundreds of thousands of people who enjoy skydiving and ten of thousands of owners of ultralights such deeds is at the same level as being a seal in your mind?

Poor little rabbit..............
0 Replies