Has everyone moved over to Facebook?

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 09:00 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Yes, and the "dying community" theme has popped up for years.

Well, for me personally, it is kind of dying, because I am missing so many of the old members.

But I attribute this to natural attrition, plus a bit of change-phobia, not to the new forum as such. A lot of the people I miss the most never came over to the old A2k anyway.

But then, every time feel myself naturally attritioning too, some thread will come along and I am having fun again.....or engaged and wanting to say stuff.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 09:28 pm
Facebook is strictly for my bible belt family.

0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 02:07 am
Facebook and A2K both have their place and I frequent both regularly.

The changes to A2K were a bit awkward at the beginning but tweaks have continuously been made to improve the site. I find it to be very easy to navigate and user friendly. I may not have said that at the time of implementation.

The biggest change that I find is the lack of moderation. that someone has already alluded to. The language and roughness has gone too far to the other side.

I use facebook for contact and to keep up with what people are doing in their lives. I used to use A2K to learn something, but I find that I am learning less and using it for a bit of stress relief (or maybe this is the cause of the stress Smile ) and I also enjoy reading the posts of many members.

Some members are also on my facebook list, but I am selective as to who they are and do not accept requests from everyone.

Robert, in my opinion, has responded to the needs and wants of the membership as this site has progressed. It is even a place where somebody like Hawkeye can say whatever they want without fear of being banned. Gee, I miss the banning. Smile
Intrepid

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 02:13 am
Oh, and hi Marty. Nice to see you again.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 02:17 am
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Hawkeye can say whatever they want without fear of being banned. Gee, I miss the banning.

In real life I tend to grow on people, I have not given up hope that a2k'ers will eventually figure out that I am an OK guy.
Ceili

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 02:22 am
I love this site. I always did. In every format too, 'cause it wasn't about the looks or the features, it was about the conversation.
I use facebook a lot. I love it too. I hate it even more(another topic). But it's a tool for me and for many of my friends and family, artists, musicians, business owners. It is what you make it, but you have to be very careful with the info you divulge and who you share it with, not to mention all the apps and the security leaks...( I hope the Canadian gov. wins its privacy battle)
I never really stopped coming here, but I got a new job, a boyfriend, got married, promotions, then moved 1200 km away from friends and family. I began to miss dinner conversation.
A2K is like that old question - Who'd be on your list of dream dinner companions. We've all got a wish list, but here at A2K I'm never sure who's going to show up or what the topic will be. Sometimes the talk is heated and other times I blow beverages over my laptop or I may have had to wipe a tear away. I think it's helped me live up to that least one goal in life, that being, to try and learn something new everyday..
Every day, somebody from some where else sits down and shares something, a news tidbit, an opinion on something they hold near or dear with me and the community. I enjoy the constant challenge to see or think about something I'd never, ever contemplated before.
So I for one thank-you Robert for your time, effort and vision.
I appreciate it.
As for changes, nothing is static and change is often good. So roll with it.
And the meaningless facebook updates just can't compete.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 02:24 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Hawkeye can say whatever they want without fear of being banned. Gee, I miss the banning.

In real life I tend to grow on people, I have not given up hope that a2k'ers will eventually figure out that I am an OK guy.

Well, mold grows on things too.

I try not to separate real life and internet life. I am not into the fantasy role playing and I don't change depending on where I am or what media I am communicating through.

For those who do otherwise. That is your perogative.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 03:21 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

Give us some nutrients for this figuring.

A2k is a broad church.......but you posture and dramatise so much it is hard to get any sense of what you might be without all the drama.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 03:23 am
@martybarker,
Hey Marty , over here girlie ---------------------> http://able2know.org/topic/122301-3#post-3752422

Very Happy
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 03:39 am
Robert Gentel wrote:
So put up or shut up. Where did I say that I don't "give a **** about the community"?
I have read posts where you have said leave and I won't miss you. In a way that is saying you don't give a **** about the community. You have outright lied about me. You wanted examples, well there they are. Can you handle the truth? Most people think of sites like this as pathetic with people who have no lives. That is the truth. Go out and ask the community because I have. There is a click on this site and they act like they own it. They drive people away. I have nothing to hide and my name is Monica.
dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 04:29 am
@TTH,
Twilight Zone Music begins.
msolga

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 04:41 am
@TTH,
Hey, do yourself a favour & leave it at that, Monica/TTH. You might regret it later!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 05:43 am
@TTH,
TTH wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:
So put up or shut up. Where did I say that I don't "give a **** about the community"?
I have read posts where you have said leave and I won't miss you. In a way that is saying you don't give a **** about the community. There is a click on this site and they act like they own it. They drive people away. I have nothing to hide and my name is Monica.

first off, it doesn't say he doesn't give a **** about the community, it says he doesn't give a **** about the poster, one poster does not a community make

if he told us all to go, that would be different

secondly

it's clique, not click, i realize i may be bieng mean, but really spelling is important Wink
Intrepid

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 05:48 am
@djjd62,
I've been told I could leave, but I am still here. I am but a small and insignificant part of the community. How does one get into this click, err clique, anyhow? Wink I have never been asked to leave facebook, but I don't think they know I am there. ssshhhh
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 08:22 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Twilight Zone Music begins.

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 08:23 am
Telling one person to go away because they are stalking you , posting false information about you and claiming you to be part of a mafia, in my opinion is too damn polite.

I would pull out the ban hamster. But that is just me.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 08:28 am
He tells certain ones to leave precisely because he does care about the site, in my view.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 08:31 am
@Intrepid,
I've been with many of you peeples since Abuzz days, yet never felt part of a clique. Where did I go wrong?
Lash

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 10:01 am
@wandeljw,
I dearly love many of the people here...but I'm such a techno dinosaur...the changes here really negatively impacted my ability to find people and flow in conversation. I wouldn't want to hurt A2K for anything in the world. The people here have been, and continue to be, really important to me. I was thrilled beyond measure when they started popping up on Facebook... I just couldn't get the same vibe here anymore...but I know that's owing to my own faults. I'm probably not the only one who had sincere difficulty.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 10:08 am
I will add that Craven and Soz and company have bent over backwards to try to help with understanding...
0 Replies