Has everyone moved over to Facebook?

DrewDad

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 10:09 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

On facebook, my family sees my every act, but none of them frequents a2k. On a2k I can reveal things without causing a rift with the relatives.

Or friends, or co-workers.

So many of my co-workers are from ultra-conservative West Texas.

Telling people that I'm laughing at them for peeing their pants over Obama giving a speech to school kids isn't going to help my career....
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 10:11 am
@DrewDad,
Laughing
Yup.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 10:12 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
A2k is very dear to me and I care about it deeply.

We did what we had the time and money to do.

And I suspect that A2K is not self-supporting. Who else here pays money out of their own pocket to keep A2K running? Not very damn many, if any at all anymore.
djjd62

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 10:13 am
it's funny how people say they can't use the site like they used to on the old format, maybe i never used the site the right way before, but nothings changed for me, in the morning i check "my posts" to look for responses to threads i last posted in, and then i basically peruse the "new posts", maybe again checking "my posts", to see if i have missed a response

i never used the categories in the old format, and never use the tags now, although i will tag topics i start
djjd62

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 10:14 am
@DrewDad,
can you still donate?

i had on the old format
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 10:27 am
facebook is a wonderful place to post naked photos.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 10:28 am
@djjd62,
oh - now that's interesting

i don't think i ever use "my posts"

i check "my tags" first, then "new posts" and anything that I have interest in i tag with something i understand

i do find, if i am offline for a bit, that i miss a variety of new threads and actually, i rarely go beyond the first page of new posts - but if it all seems to be going a litle quiet i will check "new topics"

i think originally (just my opinion) a collective 'we' congregated over to facebook when the PM facility was down - some stayed there after the re-introduction of PM's

i'm the same re. the "what t'others see" on facebook - my family and ex-family are all there - and i don't wish them to know what my everyday is, so i stick with this comfort zone

i guess it's like anything tho - the more you use it, the easier it is - quite honestly, i haven't got a clue how the applications on facebook work and don't feel the need to find out - seems awful confusing to me - its great to "see" people - but most of the folk i talk with here i can "see" anyhoo and i can drop into facebook if I have the time or if i wish to catch up with someone whose not here Very Happy

<goes back a page, waves to Lash and gives her a huge big smooch> Razz
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 10:40 am
@djjd62,
I use it much like you. I first go to My Posts and after that I check the New Topics. That about covers everything I need and/or want.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 11:49 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:
Telling one person to go away because they are stalking you , posting false information about you and claiming you to be part of a mafia, in my opinion is too damn polite.
Stalking? Mafia? Who is living in a dream world Laughing Laughing

.........and I don't have any regrets
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 12:06 pm
@djjd62,
Really? I just check New Posts, unless I'm looking for something special. I'll tag a few topics that might become inactive that I continue to be interested in. I don't tag topics I start because I can always check out "My Topics".

What I see as different from the old format is being able to collapse threads and individual comments. Oh, and that ever lovin' ignore button. I experience fewer headaches with the new format.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 12:11 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
can you still donate?

i had on the old format

No, when TTH started up her nonsense about how it was supporting a cult etc I removed that permanently. It's not coming back unless the site needs it to survive as it ultimately was a larger headache than it was worth. The RAM upgrade had a month-to-month cost and the donations didn't cover the first month, so it was easier to just pay for the RAM myself and not deal with donation headaches (and there have been several).

But the good news is that we don't need donations. A2k generates a bit more revenue from advertising than the server costs us so it's breaking even on infrastructure costs and that's all that is absolutely necessary for it to stay online. Time costs (the human resource cost) is, of course, much higher than server costs (if we need to be paid for it) but the company is structured in a way that we can pursue other more profitable ventures, and when that revenue is stable enough we can spend our time on a2k while earning from our work there.

So that's the plan, site infrastructure is stable and paid for, we don't yet have enough revenue from our other projects to support ourselves, so we need to focus on those projects and have had to put a2k development on hold, but once we do we can come back to the projects we like, but that aren't very profitable, such as a2k.

Put very simply, don't worry about a2k's finances, they are stable insofar as infrastructure costs are concerned and that is all that is needed to keep a2k online (if servers can't be paid for, it goes offline, if our time can't be paid for we either have to donate it or the development just goes more slowly, and features don't come as quickly). Once our personal finances are stable again we'll be able to dedicate more time to the development as well. Till then we need to focus on growing the profitable side of the business and the good news there is that it's been growing steadily, if very slowly, even in this economic climate. We'll get there eventually and be able to get back to a2k development.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 12:12 pm
@DrewDad,
I haven't since I got the notice from Paypal that A2k was discontinuing accepting the regular payments.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 12:18 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Originally you were going to use your innovative a2k platform to promote the other services that you offer, I remember seeing that on some web page offered to prospective clients. This is completely fair and smart, but you do have pay-offs that you ignored in the previous post. This is not the quite the charity project that you make it out to be.

Again, nothing wrong with that, but lets all be honest here ok?
djjd62

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 12:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
No, when TTH started up her nonsense about how it was supporting a cult etc I removed that permanently.

Shocked , how did i miss that
caribou

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 12:23 pm
To be fair, I think it was someone else beside tth that was going on about supporting a cult.
caribou

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 12:39 pm
@caribou,
Course, I can't remember who and can't find it with the google search.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 12:45 pm
@caribou,
prob you are right. It is doubtful that Robert would take solo sniping by TTH that seriously.
caribou

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 12:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
I find it uncomfortable when you tell me I'm right.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 12:55 pm
@caribou,
As I recall, Rob knows precisely what he's talking about.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 12:56 pm
friday was the full moon...
0 Replies