It's all down hill after 40

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 06:37 pm
@Ticomaya,
That's what I thought too!
----

Marty, could be the moist-cold climate in Seattle be partially responsible
for that too? I hope you'll feel better soon and can get on with your activities,
especially speed dating Wink
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 09:02 am
@ossobuco,
My RA factor was normal but the Cyc Cit Pep Ab is a weak positive. Anyone familiar with this?
JPB

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 09:14 am
@martybarker,
Marty -- here's some basic info on CCP. It's much more sensitive than RF testing and will oftentimes become positive much sooner than the RF test.

Quote:
Clinical Findings

Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), a chronic inflammatory disorder of the synovial membranes, is one of the most common systemic autoimmune diseases. Approximately 1% of the world population is affected. The diagnosis of RA depends primarily on clinical manifestations, but laboratory results are helpful in differential diagnosis and disease management. Early diagnosis of RA is important both in disease treatment and management.1

Historically, rheumatoid factor (RF) has long been the serologic indicator for RA. However, it has been known for years that anti-keratin autoantibodies (AKA), also known as anti-perinuclear autoantibodies, are detected in 40-55% of RA patients2 and in 40-50% of clinically diagnosed RA patients who are RF negative.3,4 AKA is considered significantly more specific than RF. Additionally, AKA may precede the clinical appearance of RA by months or years.

Recently it was determined that AKA recognize an epitope that contains citrulline, the deiminated form of arginine.5 IgG antibodies against a synthetic peptide containing citrulline known as CCP (Cyclic Citrullinated Peptide) has proven to be superior to either AKA or RF testing in differentiating RA from other autoimmune diseases.6,7 The presence of CCP antibody occurs independently of elevated RF levels in patients with RA. fact sheet
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 12:30 pm
I went in for my follow up yesterday and to review my lab results. Same results as before, elevated CCP antibody. The Dr made the official diagnosis of RA and started me on methotrexone. I'll have to have my blood drawn every 2 months.

I realize there could be worse things but having my second major illness within a matter of months is pretty depressing.
Izzie

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 12:38 pm
@martybarker,
Marty...

so sorry... never saw this thread or heard about it.

I have Rheumatoid and systemic lupus erythramatosus. Was dx with RA in my early 20's. Was dx with SLE when I was 26. Now about to turn 44.

I take methotrexate weekly... 15mg/week... along with coproxamol and morphine based painkillers.

I wish I had seen this thread earlier.

If you wanna talk offline... there is an email address in my profile.

If I can help at all... let me know.

Izzie x
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 12:39 pm
@martybarker,
{{{ Marty }}}

May this stay a chronic nuisance and not become a big part of your life.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 12:43 pm
Thanks you two.
Izzie, I have some questions about the methotrexone. I'll email you this week, thanks.
Izzie

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 12:47 pm
@martybarker,
OK Marty...

hey... try not to worry alright. It's not so bad. Really. Don't let it stop you doing what you want to do girl. Take care. x
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 03:17 am
martybarker wrote:

Izzie, hoping things are going well for you. I'm getting closer to having the RA meds at the right levels. Been easier to type lately.

Hey Marty

It IS very good to see you - how's it going for you?

What happened with the methotrexate - did you go with the injections at any stage. I spoke to my consultant about this but he recommened I kept with the oral - 15mg/wk. Are they still changing your doses or are you getting some stability? How're the other joints.

My hands swell much of the time and I have seen the OTs about knuckle replacements (ack) but am about to get some "Dragon" software so I won't have to do as much typing - that may or not make a difference - but I only use 4 fingers to type and I'm starting to run out. Razz

Had surgery on both my feet again in Feb but managed a trip to the USA for a month in August (yay) - and got another twisted toot I am about to deal with which is making walking a little painful.

fatigue 24/7 (and frustration) - never ever lets up - that is the bain of my life.

other than that - life is good and things are ticking along nicely this side of the pond Very Happy

so lovely lady - how's you? did you get to do some travelling - know you were going away some time ago? Hope all is good with the kids.

Iz x
martybarker

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 02:35 pm
@Izzie,
Hi Izzie,
I'm on injectable Metho once a week and Humira every 10 days. The nurses at work give me my injections, I can't imagine giving myself the Humira as I've tried and couldn't get the whole dose in, yeouch!

I spent 10 days in Ireland with a friend and had a great time. What a beautiful country!

You take care of those knuckles and feet.
0 Replies