Has everyone moved over to Facebook?

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 10:04 am
Hi A2K people! I think it has been close to a year since I've last posted. Yes, I too have become addicted to Facebook.
Do you think it has to do with the change A2K went through? It seems like a lot of the familiar folks left around that time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 34 • Views: 15,939 • Replies: 179

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 10:12 am
Has everyone moved over to Facebook?

No. My face is not in the book.

David
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 10:19 am
@martybarker,
Here we go again... sigh.

Sometimes I think it isn't concern for the changes hurting a2k, but an attempt to hurt a2k because you don't like the changes.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 10:37 am
a2k is far more user friendly, for my needs, than facebook or myspace. I have a presence on each, but if they vanished today I would not get upset.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 10:52 am
@edgarblythe,
I feel the same way, what I come to a2k for (discussing, learning) isn't something that Facebook does well for me, and what I go to Facebook for (getting in contact with people I've lost contact with) isn't something that a2k does well for me.

Facebook is a great tool, and with the percentages of the online population using Facebok there's bound to be a lot of crossover and people spending more time on Facebook than a2k when they get hooked there, but thankfully there's room for more than one site on the internet.
wandeljw

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 11:01 am
@martybarker,
I don't think that A2Kers joined Facebook because they were unhappy. Facebook is attractive to a lot of people (altho not me, personally).

I think most A2Kers on Facebook still come back to A2K for discussions.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 11:06 am
@Robert Gentel,
No, it is not ALL about you Robert. People go where they want to go to meet others, if people start hanging out with their friends at the coffee house rather than the bar as they had for years it is because they now like the coffee house better, it is not normally because they have it in for the guy who owns the bar.

You massively changed a2k, which was always going to massively change the culture, pace, feel of the place. A lot of folk decided that it no longer works for them. Which would be fine, if new people came in to replace them. This has not happened.

The new a2k is too complicated, and for some reason the new interface has made it a much more brutal place. I myself don't mind too much, I like the wild west saloon atmosphere that we have now, but a lot of people do mind.

And while I am pretty much the only one who has spoken of this, In think that the way you went about the change contributed greatly to abandonment. You launched the new a2k without getting the advise and consent of the membership first, and then after it was launched you got all pissy at those who had objections to the new a2k. You then flat out said that you did not give a **** about the community. BIG. BIG mistake. Along the same lines is not having messaging. You were told over and over again that this is something that was highly valued in the community, but you did not make it happen. Again disrespecting the community.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 11:06 am
On facebook, my family sees my every act, but none of them frequents a2k. On a2k I can reveal things without causing a rift with the relatives.
djjd62

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 11:07 am
i still spend most of time here, i spend way more time on twitter than facebook, following more than tweeting, it's a great place to keep tabs on media (books, music) that i'm interested in
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 11:13 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
A lot of folk decided that it no longer works for them. Which would be fine, if new people came in to replace them. This has not happened.

A lot? Really? Ok -- who left because of the format change and didn't come back? Marty said she did (or suspects that her timing may have been a result of the format change) but who else?

Quote:
for some reason the new interface has made it a much more brutal place.

I don't think it's the interface, I think it's the lack of moderation and lack of anyone stepping in for Noddy to be the designated welcoming force. I do agree that it's more brutal.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 11:20 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I feel the same way, what I come to a2k for (discussing, learning) isn't something that Facebook does well for me, and what I go to Facebook for (getting in contact with people I've lost contact with) isn't something that a2k does well for me.

Facebook is a great tool, and with the percentages of the online population using Facebok there's bound to be a lot of crossover and people spending more time on Facebook than a2k when they get hooked there, but thankfully there's room for more than one site on the internet.
I am under the impression that u created A2K
and that u own this website; is that accurate ?

Maybe about a year ago, someone became disgruntled
with my opinions and with those of another fellow, as expressed on A2K.

She lashed out against us.
She was a sufficiently good detective to use her computer to find
the other fellow on Facebook, which she then vindictively published on A2K,
exhibiting his countenance and his full name from Facebook,
unexpectedly and against his will.

She coud not do that to me because I am not on Facebook.

David
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 11:25 am
@OmSigDAVID,
If you don't want people to see it, don't put it on your computer.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 11:26 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
No, it is not ALL about you Robert. People go where they want to go to meet others, if people start hanging out with their friends at the coffee house rather than the bar as they had for years it is because they now like the coffee house better, it is not normally because they have it in for the guy who owns the bar.

My point isn't that people use Facebook because they have it in for me at all. Frankly it was the opposite, that folks like you are willing to make it personal and about their disagreements with me about a2k. People use Facebook because of its own merits and the trend for a2k's demographic adopting Facebook started prior to the changes on a2k. It's a much larger site whose growth is not very much affected by a2k and what we do here.

I do however think that people, and you are a good example of this, try to use the use of Facebook as a criticism of the changes we implemented here and make it about their dispute with me over the changes.

Quote:
Again disrespecting the community.

You are welcome to your opinion hawkeye, but I disagree strongly with it.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 11:27 am
Everything has its rise and fall. I stay because of some interesting contributions. I'm here contrary to the phrase coined by Marshall McLuhan "The medium is the message".
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 11:28 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

If you don't want people to see it, don't put it on your computer.
Explain ?
Don 't put WHAT on my computer ?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 11:29 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I am under the impression that u created A2K
and that u own this website; is that accurate ?

More or less, I created the website with help from various people all along the way, and I founded the company that owns it but am not the sole owner of the company.
Chumly

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 11:31 am
And I must thank Robert for being so supportive of my tech questions!
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 11:33 am
@Chumly,
No worries, I try not to take the software criticism personally and reasonable people can disagree on such things.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 11:35 am
@Robert Gentel,

THANK U for creating A2K

David
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2009 11:36 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
You then flat out said that you did not give a **** about the community.

I need to address this. This is a bald lie hawkeye. You are the one who says this about me. I've never once said this. A2k is very dear to me and I care about it deeply. I disagree with your conclusions about the changes but you certainly don't represent the community and this does not equate to disrespect for the community you are trying to speak for.

Just because I didn't personally consult with you doesn't mean I didn't talk to the community about the changes. I focused grouped the changes for years (anyone who was part of the subscribers forum can attest how early I began discussing it), I announced it many times publicly. When the changes came people claimed to have been blindsided by them, but it's not for lack of me talking about them. I'm sure we could have done better but this is a small operation without a lot of resources. We did what we had the time and money to do.

So put up or shut up. Where did I say that I don't "give a **** about the community"?